Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm new here, but not new to having my buddy, Shiloh. He's a 5 year old Yorkshire Terrier and is about 8 lbs. Today he was outside in my fenced in back yard and was playing as usual. He came in and jumped in my lap like always and when he went to jump down, it was almost like he had no bones in his legs and fell. I watched him and this kept happening and he began walking into walls. But he was still chipper and full of energy. I immediately called the vet but they were closing so I got ready to take him to the animal hospital. It dawned on me that out in front of our house (the 6' privacy fence is in back) I had put some antifreeze down because we were having problems with opossums and Shiloh had gotten into a fight with one because his head was scratched. So I didn't know how to take care of it except for poisoning it. Well, the wind blew the very bottom of our gate open, just enough for a tiny dog to get through. So he ate some of the antifreeze. So it clicked right away and I rushed him to the hospital. It was an hour away so it was maybe 2-3 hours after he had ingested it. He's in good hands and they are keeping him and treating him. They've told me all the scenarios, the good the bad and the ugly, and I trust them.

My question is this. Has anybody here gone through something similar, caught it fairly quickly, and had a positive outcome where your pet survived with no long term side effects? I'm sick of this, especially knowing it was my fault. I just am hoping and praying he pulls through. I was disabled 8 years ago at the age of 30 and I've had him for 5 years, and he means everything to me!!! Being home so much, I can't imagine life without him!! He keeps me going and gives me so many laughs!!! I just hope we caught it early enough and they can stop the effects because they caused permanent damage!!! Any experience with this would be great!!

Thank you,

Cara
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
I'm so sorry. Sending good wishes to him for a complete recovery.

But can you PLEASE remove the anti freeze? You will poison any stray cats, stray dogs, wildlife like racoons, deer, fox and coyotes. It's a miserable, painful way to die. Call your local Dept of fish and Game, Or Dept of Natural resources, and ask them how to get rid of the Opossum. But please don't leave poison out. They should have Have a Heart traps that they can use, or you can buy those Ultrasonic deterrants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
we did something similar... we put wasp poison in a bunch of nests in the roofings of our house... well the wasps were dying by the entrance and falling onto the ground... our dog ate a bunch of them and became very ill. She was significantly larger and survived but it was REALLY SCARY. I hope your pooch pulls through!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,366 Posts
Hoping everything turns out OK. Let us know.

The Vet told you the reality of the possible outcomes - it all depends on the the dog now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your well wishes!! I appreciate it. As is the case with all of you I'm sure, my dog is everything to me!! I was completely heartbroken and feeling horribly guilty at what happened. After a few nights in the hospital, a miracle happened and he pulled through. He's a tiny little 8lb Yorkie so I was really worried because of his size, he wouldn't make it. It was very scary and we sure weren't sure. But because I knew right away what happened and rushed him to the hospital (even though it's over an hour away...that was one LONG trip!!!) they said he had a good chance since we got him started with treatment so quickly. We still have a couple more days before we are totally in the clear because they said crystals can form in his urine for up to a week, but they really doubted that would happen. He's home with me and was back to playing with his toys tonight. I haven't left his side for one minute and have been laying on the couch just so he could lay on me. My heart went from being broken to being full again!!

And no worries, they antifreeze is all gone!!! That is something I will NEVER do again. Not only for fear or hurting my own animals, but I don't want any other animal to go through that. I did wait on putting it out originally until I talked to the neighbor because their dog wanders over here every now and then. So I wanted to warn them to make sure and keep him leashed, so I was really trying to protect any pets around me. But it just goes to show, accidents happen and it just isn't worth it!!!

So to anybody else reading this, please find another way to take care of wild animals. And if somebody is in the same boat I was in, there is hope!!! It's a very serious illness and if it's not handled within the first few hours, the outcome isn't great, but it is possible. I was fortunate to get it handled within the first few hours. If your dog is acting "drunk", that is usually always a sign of poison, DO NOT WAIT to take him/her to the hospital. My dog couldn't stand well, walked crooked and walked into walls. Get them to the hospital ASAP!!!

Thank you again for the well wishes!! I firmly believe it helped my little guy pull through!! :D
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top