Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone could help me out with this.

My 11 year old dog has a hot spot that she can't stop licking. Already had the vet check it out and the biggest thing he wanted us to do was keep her from licking it. Seems to be more of a habit now. In the past she'd do it for a few weeks and we'd work with her to stop and she'd be good for a year or so. This time we can't stop it. Vet suggested meds to help her stop fixating on it but we really don't want to put her on these types of meds.

Anyway, the real reason that I'm here is that I'm looking for an anti-lick cream that one of our old vets perscribed to use years ago for a dog that had foot surgery. Stuff what white and came in a metal tube. Smelled like sulfur and worked like a champ, dogs wanted nothing to do with it. Any body have an idea what it was called or where I could find some?

I've tried all the usual stuff you find online at the stores, doesn't phase her at all.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Did you ask the vet? It's possible that sort of thing isn't available anymore because it's been found to be harmful.

What meds does he want your dog on? Licking can be caused by OCD or other anxiety disorders. There are psychotropic drugs, like Prozac, that can be very helpful in these situations. I could certainly understand your hesitation to try such medications, but if nothing else is working, you may want to consider it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts