Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog goes crazy barking at dogs and weird looking people while in the car.
I want to buy him a Bark collar to help me teach him that it's not alright to do this.
Shock, vibe, and ultrasonic collars are out of the question; leaving Spray.

I've heard and seen some of the Spray Collars that are overly sensitive and/or malfunction and just spray at random, I'd like to avoid theses.

Does anyone have any recommendations on specific(Brand/Model) Spray collars?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Most of them will spray a chemical at anything. Another dog can bark and yours will get punished for it.

Or, your dog could associate the spray with the other cars and dogs and it will cause him to bark at them worse.

Just teach your dog a 'quiet' command or crate the dog in the car so he can't see out the window.

·
Registered
565 Posts
They are a waste of money honestly, for the reasons above. It's a bandaid over the real problem. Quick fixes have a way of biting you in the butt later.
A lot of dogs get freaked out by people who look different because they have been bred to notice when things are out of the ordinary. He's saying "HEY LOOK AT THAT HUMAN! THAT HUMAN IS SUSPICIOUS! HEY! I SEE YOU, SUSPICIOUS HUMAN!" Punishing them for doing this increases arousal, which causes more stress and barking, when you want the opposite response; weird human = nothing strange, calm down.
You're better off desensitizing a dog to people in funny hats, or with beards, or with walkers, or to people who just look different. Obviously you can't do it while driving, but you can start by training on walks or getting someone else to drive while you train.
I'm not going to go into detail on this because you've only posted once and I'm not sure how interested you are.

How to stop barking at other dogs on walks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7JrteQBOQ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They are a waste of money honestly, for the reasons above. It's a bandaid over the real problem. Quick fixes have a way of biting you in the butt later.
A lot of dogs get freaked out by people who look different because they have been bred to notice when things are out of the ordinary. He's saying "HEY LOOK AT THAT HUMAN! THAT HUMAN IS SUSPICIOUS! HEY! I SEE YOU, SUSPICIOUS HUMAN!" Punishing them for doing this increases arousal, which causes more stress and barking, when you want the opposite response; weird human = nothing strange, calm down.
You're better off desensitizing a dog to people in funny hats, or with beards, or with walkers, or to people who just look different. Obviously you can't do it while driving, but you can start by training on walks or getting someone else to drive while you train.
I'm not going to go into detail on this because you've only posted once and I'm not sure how interested you are.

How to stop barking at other dogs on walks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7JrteQBOQ
I'm interested.
He doesn't do this one walks. Only while driving.
He also barks when I leave the car to go into a store.
He also does this in the car to inanimate objects in shapes he's never seen before. Still a puppy though.

I'm just not sure how to train him in the car. He won't eat in public, no matter what it is.
Also read that telling him "NO" can be considered as you're barking WITH him and reinforcing the bark.
It's tough to break his attention, he fixates on the target. I read a Gentle Leader or a Shock collar would help with this, but I can't have a Gentle Leader and leash hooked up to my steering wheel.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
How old is the puppy and how was he socialized? He could be going through a fear stage, under-socialized, or both. The fact that he won't take treats in public (I'm assuming he will at other times) seems to indicate that he is overwhelmed.

One way to address the problem is to show him that the strange things outside the car mean something wonderful will happen. Drive somewhere (or sit in your driveway if there is sufficient traffic and "weirdness" to prompt barking), sit in the car with puppy and give him a treat every time he sees something odd (another dog, fire hydrant, those strange statutes people have in their yards, kids on bikes, etc.). The key is to catch him after he sees the strange thing, but before he fixates. Search for the "look at that" game for specific instructions. Basically, do what Indigo described and what was shown in the video in the car. If you need to find a second person to drive, do so.

To me, it sounds as though using any sort of punishment on your dog will only make things worse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's almost 1 in a half years old. He's not afraid, just very curious.

How should I correct him if he starts braking at something?

Yelling at him or talking while he's barking just reinforces his barking and I can't break his focus. It's impossible to do anything short of wrestling him off the seat so he can't see the thing he's barking at.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
It's much safer for a dog to be crated in the car. Could you put him in a covered crate so that he couldn't even see to bark at things?

If not, I agree with desensitizing him as cookieface has described.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts