Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, it's been such a long time since I've been on to update everyone...

The last time I checked in, I had alerted everyone that I gave the three rescued Fantail-Goldies to a gentlemen who makes fish his hobby... (They're all doing great as of three days ago...)

The stray cats around our complex, are dwindling, and I can't figure out why. I'm still at odds trying to turn them in, so it's not my doing that's causing them to disappear... I hope they are all finding good homes.

Donatello is doing great... He loves our new big bedroom! And there's talk that we might upgrade to bigger apartment, and I would be fortunate enough to take the master-bed/bath, giving him even more room to roam should I have to get a job outside the home.

Okay, here's the news I'm excited about... I've got crabs! : P lol! Hermit Crabs! I went from three Fantail-Goldies to three Hermit Crabs. Judging by the research I've done, the 20 gallon tank is plenty big for the three of them... (They're not much bigger than silver dollars.) I've got a thermometer gauge, a humidity gauge, and two small heaters. I *adopted* them on the 16th, and they're doing wonderful. I've got a small pond in their tank, made out of a small square Tupperware bowl, lined with gravel so they can climb in out. (So they don't drown. : P ) That has their salt-water; there are two other smaller dishes, each with a small sponge for their drinking water. They have a brown climbing wall fastened to the back, and I bought a vines and two other small plants that hang around the top part of the tank. I have their sand on one side, and then in another large, deep Tupperware container I have their cypress/dirt-like substrate that they all like to dig down deep in...

They're doing wonderful. Around 5 o'clock every night they start getting active, so I that's when I add their food- Complete with pieces of cuttlebone, dried baby-shrimp, bloodworms, and their regular pellets... I've even put in some pork, ham, and strawberries.

Every morning I come in and all three of them are in different spots, and there are trails all through-out the sand! lol! It's a shame I don't see them get to play around, but I'm always in bed and they're out in the living room.

I'd say they're they happiest critters aside from Donatello!

Pictures soon!!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I believe they're the purple pinchers... (They're reddish with a big purple claw.) lol!

The lady I got them from said she paid somewhat good money for them from a petstore, and since she didn't have the energy or the desire to care for them anymore she'd charge me half the price... Which I still found to be reasonable!

I think they're the coolest! My family won't mess with them at all, lol! They're terrified of them, but they love walking by several times a day just to stare at them and see if they're moving. ; )

I named them Bashful, Sleepy, Dopey... The largest of the three is Bashful, he's scared to come out of his shell when he knows I'm holding him... The other one loves to bury deep and sleeps that way all day, and the third one is Dopey because he'll climb up real high, only to hang on by a claw until I come to his rescue... The big DOPE! lol!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yay! I love hermies! Have you joined any hermit crab forums yet? I'm an admin on landhermitcrabs.com and a 3-year member at hermitcrabassociation.com . I have around 35 hermit crabs in a 75g tank, of several different species. I've had hermies for about 8 years now. They really are awesome pets, and once you get everything set up (which can be way more $$$ and difficult than you would think), they aren't a lot of work. Have fun with them!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've joined Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us.

I just asked yesterday if it'd be okay to take them outside, providing it's warm and humid enough for them- And as long as they're not on any grass treated with pesticides or other chemicals...

I have searched almost daily for an answer, and from very good, reputable, websites and found nothing...

The forum, however, had answered my question. lol!

Getting in the habit of joining a forum whenever I get a new pet is a good idea! Dog knows where I'd be with Donatello had I not joined here! : D

35 crabs??? *Sheesh* lol! And I was thinking of adding a fourth guy, lol! Maybe I'll reconsider. ; ) How do you keep track of them all?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How do you keep track of them all?
Hehe, I don't....they live their own lives without a lot of interference from me. I treat them more like fish than like hands-on pets---mostly for my viewing enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm not the only nut that finds them enjoyable and entertaining? ; ) lol! JK! My mother and sisters stop by their crabitat numerous times a day just to sit and see if they move, even if they're sleeping. lol! It's comical...

I'm hoping to find a spot in my bedroom to place them, so when I'm up late at night I can see them interact a lot more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts