Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, background...The boys were on Iams, small breed formula, for a while with no problems...happy little guy, and if i couldn't find the small breed formula i would get the regular Iams Mini Chunk cause they are basically the same. when Iams was having a distribution problem and i couldn't find it anywhere i changed them over to Purina One Smart Blend Chicken and Rice (This did not really work for them, Mister had the softies). When Iams was findable again i switched back to the mini chunk (the small breed is hard to find sometimes) and they seemed OK but it wasn't like before so this last time, about 1-2 weeks ago, i switched them back to the Iams Small Breed Formula and the boys now STINK!!!! at first i thought it was just cause it had been a while since bath time but they got good scrubbing on Sunday (couldn't stand it any more) and by Monday morning Mister was already smelling and by this morning Max is right there with him in the stinky dog competition. i know, with very little doubt, that it is the food, so i am changing. I was looking into the different foods and wanted opinions.

The boys are both Min Pins, 3 and 1. both about 13lbs. seems that we are going through about a 17lb bag a month (that is with using kibble as treats) and we are paying about $1.30 lb for food an need to stay in that price point. any opinions will be helpful.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What stores do you have in your area? That will narrow down the choices. If you have a Tractor Supply, Taste of the Wild would be my first recommendation. There are 4 different formulas so you can find which one they do best on. It costs less than $1.30 a pound. 4Health and Diamond Naturals are also decent and available there. If you have a CostCo membership, they have some decent foods--one is Kirkland Premium, and they also have a grain-free food called Nature's Domain, I think (or Pelican Bay? I Googled it and the answers varied).

By Nature is decent, and a good choice if the only store available to you is Petsmart, but if you find the right feed store you can get a better food for a better price.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the St. Louis Metro area. there are really no feed stores that are convenient/close to me. Taste of the Wild seems to be available at the boutique pet stores here, i will check out prices but i am betting they are double what they should be charging.

Don't have costco membership...sam's instead...

i am stopping at petco on the way home to talk to them about returning the unused part of the bag and will see what they have, the petco that i have near work is a "foo-foo" boutique one and i noticed they have a HUGE selection of food.

Thanks for your help Willowy....any other ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am in the St. Louis Metro area. there are really no feed stores that are convenient/close to me. Taste of the Wild seems to be available at the boutique pet stores here, i will check out prices but i am betting they are double what they should be charging.
Pet Supplies Plus in St. Louis has TOTW for about 1.53/pound if you buy the 30 pound bag for $46. I'd love to know where I could get it for $1.30/pound.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Pet Supplies Plus in St. Louis has TOTW for about 1.53/pound if you buy the 30 pound bag for $46. I'd love to know where I could get it for $1.30/pound.
Oh, yeah, you're right. I forgot it's only a 30-pound bag. It costs around $46 here, too. But since you feed less of it, the price comes out about the same, IME. Chicken Soup, Diamond Naturals, and 4Health are all around a dollar a pound at the stores I go to.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much to everyone for their help. Pet Supplies Plus would be the same trip/time/gas as going to Greene's Country store and Feed in Lake St Louis but perhaps next time i am out that way i will pick up a good sized bag of totw

until then By nature may be it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Canidae. I'm not sure what price is like for Fromm in your area, but I've heard that is an awesome food.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You can also go to the site www.dogfoodadvisor.com they have a pretty good UTD reviews on most foods & you can search by: brand, preference (allergies, etc) rating etc ... I feed TOTW high prairie (bison) & it is pretty good, but I'm thinking of switching cuz I don't like the fact that the salt content has been creeping up & Izze has been puking up white, foamy stuff occasionally (she has always been a bit of an up chucker due to a sensitive stomach) & I have a funny feeling that it has something to do with the creepit salt content.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts