Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this earlier and got some good advice, but there are a few issues that have come up.

I am trying to get my hyper 11 week old puppy to settle and it's simply not working.

She will come over to me and lie down at my feet, but she never settles. She sits there waiting for her food. When she doesn't get it, her little circuits short out. She starts barking incessantly, jumping on everything, and chewing everything in sight.

I usually give her a treat if she lays down at my feet and looks the other way - per a video I was shared - but she never fully settles. I have taken to putting her in a small square where she can lay down only and that's it until she stops barking. But she never settles - there or outside the pen. Thoughts on how to get her to calm down? It's not a "walk and train her to release some energy" issue as I burned her out really well today and she still refuses to calm down when not in her crate.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Well, she may simply be too young. If she settles well in her pen, put her in her pen with a chew when she needs to settle. So, you might put her in her pen when you relax to read or watch tv, to eat, whatever. Still work on settling outside her pen, but lower your criteria and make that time shorter. If she is outside her pen and relaxing all on her own, make sure to reward her, too! Might not happen at this stage, though!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'd put her somewhere else, crate or pen, with a couple of appropriate chew items, and totally ignore her. Some puppies need that degree of physical separation to calm down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear this could be just her being a puppy and putting her in her crate is an option. Like most owners I feel bad because she spends so much time there, but I suppose she doesn't mind it so why deviate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts