Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, on top of Quill's broken tooth, he also has an upset tummy. I think I transitioned him to his new food (Canidae All Stages) too quickly, and now he has liquid poo. He is still drinking a lot, super playful and high energy, and overall healthy...but everything seems to make liquid poo sound much worse than just food transition so on top of the tooth I'm stressed about this! Also, everything that says food switching can cause this doesn't talk about how to do fix it.

Should I give him his nornal breakfast (3/4 cups canidae) and wait it out, feed something else, or go back to his old food/canidae mix (Country Acres)?

·
Registered
52 Posts
How did you transition him to his new food? How long did it take? Is he completely on the new food?

Whenever I switch foods, I offer raw canned pumpkin with meals, either mixed in or I'll give pumpkin first, then the food. Pumpkin will help with the upset caused by switching food and will firm up the stools.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My first dog had a horrible time switching kibbles to the point I could only bear to do it once a year. She always was fine in the end, just a mess picking up soft stool for a good month. Long ago I read that when switching cold turkey to feed the dog half the normal ration until stool was getting firm then increase the amount so dog didn't get skinny. Could try that, if it works it will work fast although you might need to take a couple weeks to work back up to the amount he needs.

Don't assume a pup got sick from his scheduled meals. Pups eat a lot of extras you know! He also could have picked up a nasty bug so keep close tabs on his hydration if actual diarrhea persists. If his tooth hurts maybe pain causes this as well, don't know.

Canned pumpkin is terrific stuff. Sassy had a terrible upset after eating a bad fast food hamburger and the usual bland chicken and rice only helped so much. I gave her just a spoonful per meal and her stool went back to normal and she went back to her usual kibble easily. Dogs usually like it too. I would spoon the rest of the can into an ice cube tray and freeze so the rest didn't go to waste.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I switched gradually over about a week.

He is doing better today, firming up a bit though still a bit runny. I think you might be right about the tooth. I'm wondering if the switch had him slightly upset, and the stress of the tooth pushed him over. He woke up this morning and had a WAY better stool than all through the night.

As for water, he is still drinking plenty! I'll have to remember the pumpkin and go pick some up. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I saw your photo of that tooth, it looked really painful. Glad he is better today. Tough having a new pup and things go wrong.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! It's definitely made for a stressful first week home! Im glad his tummy is doing better. One less thing to stress about. Hopefully things run a little smoother now! Crazily, the tooth doesn't bother him at all. He's eating, playing, gnawing on everything...all without a care in the world. I don't get it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts