Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i go for a bike ride I bring Bentley with me. I stay at the pace between a walk and a jog. I also know when to slow down or give him a break. He is also trained to drink from a water bottle and a water fountain so about every 5-10 minutes I stop and give him a drink. I decided to take him on a bike ride tonight. It is 70 degrees out with a nice breeze and not humid(for once). he was enjoying it and I was enjoying it until I heard someone say- "You are a dog abuser for making your dog run". I turned around and said "excuse me"?. Did you just call me an dog abuser? he said "yes, it is animal abuse by forcing your dog to run and going at such a fast speed". At this point I am thinking, are you on crack? I was going th pace of a walk and Bentley wasn't even panting hard, I also clearly have two bottles of water in my hand. I said " I am going the pace of a walk and I have water for him and it isn't even hot out!". he said "whatever but in my mind you are abusing your dog". I was dumbfounded. This guy has lived in this town for about a month now and right down the road from me. I know he has seen me out in the yard looking like a fool playing with the dogs before. So why in the world would he say something like that!? I get some people dont agree with you running your dog but if they enjoy it and the owner knows how to read there dog why judge?

Later I took Tank for his nightly walk(he cant run because of health problems) and met up with someone I usually walk withe every night and asked them about the person who made the comment. She said that he has also said rude comments about her dog like "being over-weight". This dog is far from over-weight. He is fluffy though and it makes him look a little bigger. She explained this to him and he kept saying "oh no your dog is over-weight and you need to get him on a diet" and kept going on and on. She also walks with other dog owners and they have said he makes comments to them all the time. I have a feeling he is going to be trouble for dog owners in my town.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
How dare you make a dog bred for hunting run! I mean, he's only a lab, well known for their incredible energy and endurance! /crazy neighbor

He's a real life troll. Just like people who will say anything for a reaction online, he'll do it in person. He probably picks dogs because dog owners are easy to rile up when you comment on their dog's welfare. Just ignore him, it'll make him mad.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
How dare you make a dog bred for hunting run! I mean, he's only a lab, well known for their incredible energy and endurance! /crazy neighbor

He's a real life troll. Just like people who will say anything for a reaction online, he'll do it in person. He probably picks dogs because dog owners are easy to rile up when you comment on their dog's welfare. Just ignore him, it'll make him mad.
Some idiot I ran into in the park told me my dog was emaciated and made a big deal out of it. I actually managed to be convinced until we had a vet visit and the vet snorted.

Yeah. Not really emaciated.

On the other hand, raising two human children has taught me to smile, nod, and move away as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
They'd hate how I exercise my dogs, then. I get on my bike, and they MUST trot. Walking is not acceptable, pacing is not acceptable, and full out running is not acceptable. It must be a trot, because they're being conditioned......and by the end of the summer we will be doing 12-14 miles of that....in the heat.

They don't get to stop and take a break, they don't get a drink of water 10 minutes, they have to work, that's their job for that time.

Now, that isn't to say if somebody "ain't lookin' right" I don't attend to them as necessary, but in general, with proper conditioning, they shouldn't need to stop frequently.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will ignore him if he says anything else. It is just very aggravating! Peopel wonder why I like dogs better than people and he is the reason why!

·
Registered
104 Posts
They'd hate how I exercise my dogs, then. I get on my bike, and they MUST trot. Walking is not acceptable, pacing is not acceptable, and full out running is not acceptable. It must be a trot, because they're being conditioned......and by the end of the summer we will be doing 12-14 miles of that....in the heat.

They don't get to stop and take a break, they don't get a drink of water 10 minutes, they have to work, that's their job for that time.

Now, that isn't to say if somebody "ain't lookin' right" I don't attend to them as necessary, but in general, with proper conditioning, they shouldn't need to stop frequently.

This does seem like a little bit much. 12-14 miles in the heat? I am not trying to judge, I get dogs need to run and I don't see anything wrong with what the op was doing but 12-14 miles, just seems excessive.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
This does seem like a little bit much. 12-14 miles in the heat? I am not trying to judge, I get dogs need to run and I don't see anything wrong with what the op was doing but 12-14 miles, just seems excessive.
12-14 miles at a trot, for a young, healthy German Shepherd that's been conditioned to it? Not even close to excessive. Even in the heat, given that she's in PA, not Southern Florida.

·
Registered
104 Posts
12-14 miles at a trot, for a young, healthy German Shepherd that's been conditioned to it? Not even close to excessive. Even in the heat, given that she's in PA, not Southern Florida.
I feel like at most a german shepherd should run like 5 miles, i feel like a 12-14 mile trot in the heat is too much. I understand dogs need exercise but I honestly do find that excessive.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I get dogs need to run and I don't see anything wrong with what the op was doing but 12-14 miles, just seems excessive.
This is what you do when you've got show dogs to condition. I have two dogs that will be showing in the August heat. They're also spending more time than usual outside because I can't take them from the air conditioned/cool dog room and then expect them to gait consistently in 80-90+ degree heat and not look (and feel) like crap.

For the AD (a gaiting test of endurance) the dog must bike 12 miles in order to pass. There are two check points during the jog to check the dog's condition (breathing, any muscle strains, torn pads, etc), but that's it. Dogs do this rain or shine.

Real working GSDs that tend sheep for a living travel this many miles or more in a day of tending.

If you think 5 miles is the most a GSD should do, you do not understand the working nature of the breed.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I feel like at most a german shepherd should run like 5 miles, i feel like a 12-14 mile trot in the heat is too much. I understand dogs need exercise but I honestly do find that excessive.
My 23 pound, 5.5 year old, former show dog of a rat terrier (Ie: semi-out of condition) did 5 miles over rough terrain (up a mountain) in 90 degree heat and humidity today, and followed that up by a 30 minute long flat out flying and running game of fetch at the end of it. 5 miles at a trot wouldn't take the EDGE off a GSD.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I think silentgirl is not understanding the difference between conditioning or general exercise, either.

When Straussdog was younger, he would do that 12-14 miles, we would get home, he'd rest for an hour, and then he'd be in my face again. "WE GO PLAY BALL NOW, K!??!!?"

Yeah, ok Strauss, no problem.

At 8 years old, I restrict him to 4-5 miles. HE does not like the restriction (that dog is mad cray for biking), but it is a necessary one at this point. That said, he still keeps up with the young dogs when it comes to fizbee and agility.

As Charlie Barker said, you can't keep a good dog down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 23 pound, 5.5 year old, former show dog of a rat terrier (Ie: semi-out of condition) did 5 miles over rough terrain (up a mountain) in 90 degree heat and humidity today, and followed that up by a 30 minute long flat out flying and running game of fetch at the end of it. 5 miles at a trot wouldn't take the EDGE off a GSD.
I am allowed to have my opinion. My mother raised german shepherds and they were kept very healthy. I am not an idiot, I just have a different opinion and know what is right for my pets.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I am allowed to have my opinion. My mother raised german shepherds and they were kept very healthy. I am not an idiot, I just have a different opinion and know what is right for my pets.
Then maybe you should not tell other people what is right for theirs?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think silentgirl is not understanding the difference between conditioning or general exercise, either.

When Straussdog was younger, he would do that 12-14 miles, we would get home, he'd rest for an hour, and then he'd be in my face again. "WE GO PLAY BALL NOW, K!??!!?"

Yeah, ok Strauss, no problem.

Like I said I am not an idiot, what I find right for a dog is different than some. I am allowed to have my opinion.

Then maybe you should not tell other people what is right for theirs?
I simply stated that I THOUGHT it was excessive. Did I say anywhere that she was abusing her dog and needed to stop? NO. I just stated my opinion which is what message boards are for honey.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Like I said I am not an idiot, what I find right for a dog is different than some. I am allowed to have my opinion.

I simply stated that I THOUGHT it was excessive. Did I say anywhere that she was abusing her dog and needed to stop? NO. I just stated my opinion which is what message boards are for honey.
Yep, and I gave you mine. Mine being: If you think a GSD trotting for 12 miles in heat is excessive, you're confused about something. It's an OPINION. That means you can't tell me it's wrong, right?

Or is that not what you were saying?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Hey CptJack, we lived in VA from March 2010 to June 2011, and my boy gaited 6-8 miles a day. My little girl didn't do serious biking until this year, but I did get her started on it. A couple miles a week.

I didn't bike them in the 100* stuff that was going on, but when it cooled off to about 85ish I'd take them out. The humidity sucks more than the heat!

My mother raised german shepherds and they were kept very healthy.
Raising GSDs and working/conditioning GSDs are two different things

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont see a problem with it, either. Before I had to cut tank off of biking with me were were up to 8 miles with only a few brakes(for me not him,lol). Also XEPH has to work her dogs since they are show dogs and have to be able to do that. maybe only running for an hour or two was okay for your moms GSD's but for XEPH hers need more than that since they are working(?)/showing dogs and need that much exercise to stay conditioned for what they do. And no-one called you an idiot. They were just explaining the differences and we all know everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, and I gave you mine. Mine being: If you think a GSD trotting for 12 miles in heat is excessive, you're confused about something. It's an OPINION. That means you can't tell me it's wrong, right?

Or is that not what you were saying?

No what you just said was that I was an idiot and was wrong. There is a difference between insulting people and giving an opinion. Did I tell her to stop? No. But you told me to stop giving an opinion. I never told her she should do things my way honey. I just said that I found it excessive and I am not a moron. You basically told me my opinion was wrong, I never said that about your opinion.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts