Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the pups are now on food and drinking watered down milk from a bowl, they are all gaining weight as they should be and they seem contented.
there is 1 little girl though who will not drink the milk or water from a bowl. she eats the food fine and will eat until she explodes but is not interested in liquid at all.
i dont want to go back to bottle feeding her as this kind of defeats the object, so has anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
When you start a new thread, you have to summarize the facts. Age, breed, circumstance.

A 5 week puppy can be weaned and doesn't need milk anymore. Leave water in a bowl, and if she pees, then she's getting enough water.... unless there is some type of urinary tract infection (UTI). You can also moisten the food more , so that she laps it up.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How much water are you putting in the food? She may not need to drink anything if you're putting a lot in. If she seems to not want to lap at the water, try putting more water in her food so she has to lap it up before getting to eat. . .motivation!

We need more pics!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the pups are just over 4 weeks now and are being slowly weaned. the food is being softened with water and left to soak and then warmed up with puppy milk just before feeding.
the milk is put in a bowl while they are feeding, it is being watered down slowly to get them used to water.
im putting quite a bit of water in the food so maybe willowy she is getting enough water. they are definitely peeing...loads!

any ideas on how to keep the little blighters clean???
they are in a 48" crate with puppy pen panels attached, so they probably have about 6 feet square of space.
obviously during the day we are changing the newspaper all the time, but over night well! the mess is unbelievable!
ive tried putting a folded blanket one end and newspaper everywhere else in the hope that they might toilet on the paper and sleep on the blanket but they are quite content to sleep in there own mess!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
It sounds like the area they are in is not big enough. If they are in a big enough area they are more inclined to go farther from their bed to eliminate especially when there are so many of them. It also seems to help if you have a definite bed area by putting a board or something across to separate where they sleep and where they eat and potty. Their feeding area should also be separated from their potty area.

You have quite a job on your hands raising that many puppies and it does not get easier as they need more and more attention as they get older.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You can try putting a puppy pad in there, maybe even in a doggy litterbox or something similar. That way they are attracted to that one spot to toilet. They may try to play with the pad but just keep taking it away from them and place it back in it's spot. If you haven't already, put a couple toys in there to deter them from playing with the puppy pad. Maybe even take up the news paper so that it's less confusing on where to potty, though it can still get messy in there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive just made the whole area bigger again. they now have a sleeping area, food area and a toilet area.
ive read that for the first day we are to just cover over any mess in the potty area so that they get used to seeing that as the potty area.
we are going to need pegs for our noses lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats the site i looked on today :) so ive followed as near as i can what they've done.
as its the first day, i must have changed the bedding in their sleeping area about 8 times! im just covering the toilet area over once they've been to see how they get on.
they are lovely gorgeous sweet little things but god do they make a mess!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I don't know what you are feeding them but their stool should not be loose and messy. If it is, I would be inclined to cut out all the milk and get them onto a puppy food that they have good stools with. When I have puppies, I can go in and pick up the individual poop as it is solid enough that even if they step in it, it would not get tracked around. I don't use newspaper except for when they are really young, then I start them on a litter box with wood pellets in it. The wood pellets seem to draw the moisture out of the poop and also most of the smell and they seem to learn to go on it quite easily. They do tend to spread it around a bit but it is easily swept up and put back in the box.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
their poop is not loose & messy its just with 11 of them they walk in it! they are on skinners puppy which is a mid range here, branston too was on this and did ok.
i have now change their area for 10 hrs, no improvement! they all woke up again about 20 mins ago, they wee'd where they were (toilet area) so i let them back into the sleep area and they all had a poop and are now sleeping in it!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts