Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 mo old femle chihuhua that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get potty trained. Each time I let her out of her crate she starts peeing on the floor. Thank goodness it's on my kitchens floor and not carpet. I know she is not old enough to be able to control her bladder at this age. I think she gets so excited and shes so hyper!
I have tried opening the crate door and walk away so she doen't get so excited but she just runs to me and starts peeing. I've tried picking her up out of the crate and she squats to pee. I know it maybe submissive peeing because when I pick her up to put her back in the crate she starts peeing again. She is let out very reguarly and it happens every time. She has only had 2 vaccines when I got her and she will get another next week. So I have no choice but to try to potty pad train her until I can take her outside. I feel she is going to do her peeing before we ever get to the back door when the time comes. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
How long is she in the crate before you let her out? Do you have her go potty right before putting her in the crate?

Open the crate just enough to where you can get a leash on. Clip it on and get her outside as soon as you can. You might need to put the leash on and pick her up directly out of the crate to get her outside.

She will be absolutely fine outside, you don't need to worry about her getting sick unless it's an extremely nasty area and there are major issues with parvo or distemper where you live. Even then, she would be fine to stand in the grass for 5 minutes. When they're young they are perfectly fine going for walks and exploring the neighborhood and such. It's places like dog parks or other areas with a lot of dogs where they are more likely to catch something. More likely to catch something at the vet than right outside your door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. She is not in her crate no more than an hour or so at the time. Except overnight. I always have her potty before she goes in. When I try to take her out the crate she'll just squat and pee in the crate and then finish up on the floor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts