Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes this potty training drives me bonkers.
I take my little 12 week old shih tzu out in the morning, before bed, after every nap, play time, meal time(basically every hour) He is fine during the night.
He sometimes runs to the door to let us know that he has to go. I have started to train him on ringing the bell now. He can ring it but doesn't understand that it means that he can go out.
Today he had two accidents...First one was in the morning as I was trying to see how long he can generally hold his pee. The second was this evening. He ran to the door and released himself.

Can i increase the time to take him out now to about 1.5 hours throughout the day?
Am I supposed to gradually increase his potty breaks throughout the day, so his bladder can get used to the full sensation?
Generally, how long will it take until he tells me that he has to potty? (8months)
I understand that he is still very young but are there any tips/advice?

sorry for all the questions....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I took mine out every 30 minutes until there were no more accidents... just stayed outside with them until they went. Really though, typically they would nap at least after two outings, so it's only really every 30 minutes when they are awake... when accidents stopped is when I started increasing the time to 1 hour... then eventually just asked them when they wanted to go (really, I just say 'outside' and go to the back door, if they follow me, they have to go, lol).

My friends taught their dog to ring the bell, but they just want to go out a bit too much so were ringing it all the time.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
At 12 weeks he's just really starting to control his bladder and bowels. At this age you don't want to "see how long he can hold it", because it's honestly not very long. Taking him out after he wakes up, after he eats, after he takes a drink, after he's been playing for a while, and every twenty minutes just because is a good idea.

When you take him out, encourage him to ring the bells. If he rings the bells on his own, take him out to his potty area. If he doesn't do anything within a reasonable amount of time,. ,take him back in the hose and pop him in his crate for five minutes or so, then take him back out to see if he needs to potty.

It takes as long as it takes for them to become "completely" house trained. My GSD was well over a year old before she quit needing an early morning potty trip. If she started fussing at 5:00 AM, and I didn't take her out, I was going to be needing to clean a crate and bathe a dog.

·
Super Moderator
2,965 Posts
At 12 weeks your pup has very, very little control of their bladder and bowels. They know they have to go seconds before they are going, so you shouldn't be "seeing how long they can hold it" yet, because its not long. 6 months is generally considered the "pretty much developed" phase where you can expect them to be able to hold it a bit longer.

If your pup is up and active, 30 minutes is going to be how it is for a few months yet. He would be fine 1.5 hours if he's not active, but I would rather be taking the pup out more than necessary early on to prevent accidents than be dealing with an improperly house trained dog later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts