Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, many of you probably seen my thread on the GSD mix. Well, I have another opportunity to foster again, unless I decide to keep him. Some people are trying to rehome a male border collie, 8mo and intact, and if they can't find a home by the end of the week, they are going to drop him off at the shelter. So, since I have the room and the time, I'm going to pick him up maybe tonight and foster him til we can find him a permanent home. Or I may keep him myself, haven't made the decision yet. I just want to keep him out of the shelters. And I have a few contacts as well that can help me rehome him if needed. If he gets along great with the girls, I may possibly keep him, but if there's any issues, then will find a proper home for him. Will get pics if I do get him, as they said they have one person that wants to look at him. And since he's ahead of me in line, we'll see. He's supposed to check him out sometime today, and I'll be there tonight if he doesn't get him.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks like we have a small issue to work through with him, which will be pretty easy for me. He guards his food and treats. He has a great coat on him, but can feel much of his skeleton, no fat on him at all. And he was really, really hungry as well. Other than that, he has no issues with the toys or anything else, mainly just food. Will be an easy fix with NILIF. ;)

Edit: His guarding is towards the other dogs, not me. He lets me handle his food with no issues, and tries to lick me and get me to play with him. But if Chloe or Nell comes near his food dish, he snaps.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got a few other things to work on as well. He needs to gain a little weight, he's skin and bones. Can feel all his ribs, hips, and shoulders. Also, we went out to play frisbee this morning. He had no interest in the frisbee, just running with the girls, lol. And he's got the herding nip as well, scared Chloe a little, lol. Then we went on a walk. He luvzzzzzzz people, lol. After about the first mile, he started slowing down. We went about 3 miles each way, and he was tired. Guess it's from being in such a small pen with goats. Didn't get a lot of exercise. He needs to gain some strength, as he drains real easy. But the nice thing, he likes to cuddle. He's such a great little guy, and he's going to get the best care I can give him.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today we had a really good day. Took all 3 out on a good walk, then played some frisbee. Then I took them home and took Sonny around town, his first grand tour of town, lol. We went to the park where they were having the dog weight pulling competition this weekend. He didn't want to go near at first, so we slowly made our way til we were close to the action. I layed down on the grass and he layed right next to me. He was getting more comfortable really fast, and started showing interest in some of the other dogs there, mainly pits. Then with the kids running around, he was enjoying that as well, as they would ask if they could pet him, and he just soaked it up. He also got pet by several other people as well. Once we were done there, we went to where I work and visited in the store with the gal up front. We had several customers come through and ask about him, and I told them his story and they loved seeing him. All the sales staff also came to say hi too. He was really taking it in. Then we went back to the park for more weight pulling competitions. He did very well.

When we were done there, we then went to visit my trainer. He didn't like her for some reason, would bark at her. I think it was when she first walked up, she was wearing rubber gloves, as she was working in her yard. She also thought it could be the wind going through her hair as well. But he finally did take some chicken from her hand and licked her hand, but wouldn't let her pet him. But anyways, he won't be in training there anyways, as I'm going to be doing training on my own with him. Going to start on all his basics.....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, all is going very well. Sonny amazed me today. He didn't go potty in his crate last night, but woke me 2 times whining, and I took them out for a potty break and he went each time. Then I put him in his kennel to go to work, and when I got home for lunch, no potty. He went pee and poo outside on lunch break. Then I said, this isn't happening and I'll probably come back home to a wet crate, lol. Well, I went to work and came home tonight, and no potty, AGAIN, lol. After going potty outside and playing a bit, had to crate him one more time, as I had to go to the monthly meeting at the Kennel Club, and got home 2 hours later, and NO POTTY, AGAIN, lol. I'm really happy with him, and took him outside and he went outside, AGAIN....

Well, I can also tell he's still a puppy, lol. When I had him at work to visit, we were getting ready to leave and as I was going through the door, he thought he could get ahead of me and Bam, slammed into the glass window that's next to the door, lol. I knew it probably hurt, but couldn't stop laughing, lol. I then took him in my arms and told him he's ok, lol. He was stunned for a second, but then started playing again, lol. He's quite the character, lol. Now he's going after my shoe laces on my shoes, lol. He won't leave them alone, lol.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congragulations on the newest member of your family, Lonewolf. How are the other dogs adjusting to Sonny? He sure is a handsome fellow and if he is as skinny as you say then you can tell from the pics that his coat is very heavy. What a lucky boy to have found such a good home!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, his coat is really heavy. He was living outside, and it's pretty cold and windy where they live. We were coming up on 2 days straight of no potty inside and he screwed it up, lol. First he goes poop in the dining room, which wasn't bad, as it's a linoleum floor and his poo was hard. Then after a while, he went poo in the bedroom, another huge pile, lol. At least it was hard as well, it was on carpet. But as I was cleaning that up, he went pee in another spot and I caught him and make him jump and stop, and took him outside. I don't know if he went outside, as I wanted to get the pee cleaned up before it soaked in too much, but he didn't go much because I stopped him before he finished. So tonight was a bad night, lol. But he's still my little cuddly boy, lol.

Oh, and the girls love him as well, as long as he's being good, lol. If not, Chloe just walks away and Nell puts him in his place, lol. Then they continue playing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts