Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But this one has a happy ending...:cool:

"MANATEEE COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Pitbull stories don't usually end with the dog as a hero but don't tell James Kimon of Bradenton that.

Kimon is calling his pit bull, Hennessey, a hero.

Kimon said someone broke into his Bradenton home Friday night when he and his children were sleeping.

He said he woke up when he heard his dog attacking the intruder. The suspect fired shots at, but did not hit, the dog.

"It was just too hectic, all I could do is hear the dog she was just attacking," Kimon said. "That's how I knew someone was in here is because I could hear the guy say 'hey get off me,' so she did her job."

More Information

Pitbull hero
The suspect broke through the bedroom of the house, where the family had hidden in a closet. They say they heard the dog attacking him again.

The intruder took off running, and neither the dog nor the family members were injured.

Kimon said that nothing was taken from his home. The suspect remains at large."

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It's a shame the suspect hasn't been caught yet, but I bet'cha he won't be back to their house!!

Congrats to the pitty in the story. : )

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That is great! I once had a police officer tell me that if someone broke in and my dog attacked them to make sure to hit the guy over the head and keep him in the house until the cops arrived. He said, they could actually sue me for dog bites even though they broke in. I was shocked but not worried because I knew my dogs would be hiding in the closet WITH me. ;) :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good to hear that the Pitbull is getting some good press for a change. BTW I've heard from one source that Pits were lousy watchdogs but from that same source she stated that history has seen the use of Pits and Molosser type animals as guard dogs on the American Western Frontier. This article is further proof that the author of one of my main sources on Pitbulls might be mistaken.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
That is great! I once had a police officer tell me that if someone broke in and my dog attacked them to make sure to hit the guy over the head and keep him in the house until the cops arrived. He said, they could actually sue me for dog bites even though they broke in. I was shocked but not worried because I knew my dogs would be hiding in the closet WITH me. ;) :)
The police here told me as long as i have a 'beware of dog' sign up if someone breaks in here they had been forwarned that a dog is on the premise and if they got bit it was their own fault. They had been warned lol.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That is great for the family and that is my dogs name. Cool.

Good to hear that the Pitbull is getting some good press for a change. BTW I've heard from one source that Pits were lousy watchdogs but from that same source she stated that history has seen the use of Pits and Molosser type animals as guard dogs on the American Western Frontier. This article is further proof that the author of one of my main sources on Pitbulls might be mistaken.
No they are correct. The majority of Pit Bulls don't make good watch dogs. Most of them I've ever owned pretty much sucked at it. They do however (some anyway) protect at the right time despite their extremely friendly nature. Then they go right back to being very human friendly once the incident is over. One of mine that protected me would be one of the most out going, friendliest dogs I've ever owned. Especially fond of men, so I thought I'd pretty much be SOL if I were ever in trouble. I was very much wrong, thankfully.

Most are not likely to bark defensively on a regular basis so they do not alert therefore are not good for watchdogs. Most are not going to make great guard dogs, especially not with any type of training. Helping in a time that there is a threat some will do, as have other breeds of dogs who were friendly dogs until someone went for their owner. I see also them as much better at personal protection then a functionally guard dog. Though there are exceptions.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
she's not mistaken.

some will have it and many wont .

BUT its not a desirable trait.

the standard states that aggressive behavior towards humans is unacceptable in the breed. thus, defensive drive is not *typical* of the breed. but like anything else...this is variable.

anyways...Op

DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT!!!

everytime I see "pit bull attack" my heart skips a beat...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The police here told me as long as i have a 'beware of dog' sign up if someone breaks in here they had been forwarned that a dog is on the premise and if they got bit it was their own fault. They had been warned lol.
Actually, what you really want is a sign stating "Dog On Premises". Some courts of law will consider a sign saying "Beware Of Dog" as you admitting you have an aggressive dog.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK. Sorry for any coronary damage! I did that on purpose to get as many looks as possible (pit haters will look and go "see" and pit lovers will go "told ya.")

I have seen so much bad press about the breed that I will post any and all positive media stories as I can find (this one just happened to be in my area).
Now, I'm not sure about the law in all states, but, I do know that you should always have a Bad Dog sign posted (it is in the FL statute- see below).

"The owner of any dog that bites any person while such person is on or in a public place, or lawfully on or in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, is liable for damages suffered by persons bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owners' knowledge of such viciousness. However, any negligence on the part of the person bitten that is a proximate cause of the biting incident reduces the liability of the owner of the dog by the percentage that the bitten person's negligence contributed to the biting incident. A person is lawfully upon private property of such owner within the meaning of this act when the person is on such property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him or her by the laws of this state or by the laws or postal regulations of the United States, or when the person is on such property upon invitation, expressed or implied, of the owner. However, the owner is not liable, except as to a person under the age of 6, or unless the damages are proximately caused by a negligent act or omission of the owner, if at the time of any such injury the owner had displayed in a prominent place on his or her premises a sign easily readable including the words "Bad Dog."

You do not have a duty to protect unforeseeable tresspassers (i.e., a burglar). If I can shoot someone who is breaking into my house (deadly force most likely would be justified) during a home invasion, why would I get into trouble if my dog attacked them? They are there to commit a felony! I don't know which one- crime against property or crime against person.

I would encourage everyone to check the laws in your state.

BTW, I was at home by myself last night, there was a noise outside and both of my dogs went crazy barking up a storm! Good boys!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Actually, what you really want is a sign stating "Dog On Premises". Some courts of law will consider a sign saying "Beware Of Dog" as you admitting you have an aggressive dog.
Yeah, that is what I was told too. I wouldn't want people to think my dogs are aggressive and they need to live in fear. As it was when I moved to this neighborhood I had warnings about how the neighbors would work together to get my dogs out of the neighborhood. The lady said "We had one of THOSE dogs here once, we got him OUT!" :eek: Fortunately for us, my dogs schmoozed their way into the trust of most of the neighbors. Still, I do not wish to advertise possible aggression just to play it safe. :)

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was told too. I wouldn't want people to think my dogs are aggressive and they need to live in fear. As it was when I moved to this neighborhood I had warnings about how the neighbors would work together to get my dogs out of the neighborhood. The lady said "We had one of THOSE dogs here once, we got him OUT!" :eek: Fortunately for us, my dogs schmoozed their way into the trust of most of the neighbors. Still, I do not wish to advertise possible aggression just to play it safe. :)
APD said the beware of dog sign isnt stating you have a mean dog its just stating dog in the home. on the property. I can tell you one thing it works to keep solicitors away lol

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This is so annoying.

Take any ole real pitbull attack article, and compare it's LENGTH to this one. >_> Pitbull attacks get SO much more coverage than good pitbull stories.

Anyway.

What a good dog. <333

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry, but I fail to see how this is good publicity for pitbulls.

It will encourage people to get a pitbull just for the purpose of guarding their home...and we all know where that leads.

It will reinforce the public's image of pitbulls being attack-dogs; dangerous.

It will set back all the education that has been done regarding pitbulls being non-aggressive toward people.

You can fill in the rest...it's a long list.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's awesome! It's so nice to hear a good story about pits. It gets real old hearing about every pitbull attack out there. I wanna know why we don't hear about every lab or whatever attack? Why not make them a big deal too. I am a strong pitbull supporter! All I have ever owned are pits and pit x. (except for the 2 I have now)

So, thanks for posting a happy story :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

It will encourage people to get a pitbull just for the purpose of guarding their home...and we all know where that leads.

It will set back all the education that has been done regarding pitbulls being non-aggressive toward people.

Actually, that's the exact thing I thought.

·
Banned
617 Posts

Good thing it didn't say "Mini Pincher fights off would be intruder"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts