Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feed iorek raw and 3 days of the week he eats ground food, balanced 80% meat, 10% organs, and 10% bone. on the other days he gets lamb rib, beef or pork neck with extra ground beef, and whole atlantic mackerel. on the days that he gets the fish and the ground he does not need extra organs since it is already balanced. he eats 1 lb a day so 10% of that is 1 oz so on the days he needs organs he would get 1 oz organs. my question is could i give him 2 oz every second day that he needs organs? all the baggies are getting out of hand! if i am going to get the organs in a big bag and then re-package them i don't want to have to use that many baggies! it is not good for the environment!

i know that as long as a dog's diet is balanced over time then they will be healthy, but i just wanted to make sure that this will be ok. i don't want to change too many things before i find out if it is ok.

thanks! :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Course you can. I haven't tried too much organ yet because of all the dire warnings. I really feed more than 10% organ when I feed the middle part of my uncleaned mackerel though, lots of assorted stuff in those little fish. You could feed organ once a week if you choose.

Max gets 1 ounce of organ a day and he eats 10 ounces total. 10% of 16 ounces is 1.6 ounces.

I 'balance' daily, works partly because I pack meals monthly to save space. Some balance weekly. Every other day is just fine as long as it works for you and the dog.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha! i realized after i had posted that 1 oz is not 10% of 1 lb. my brain is just not working lately! what i do is make 10 packages from a 1 lb package of organs, so it is 10% but not 1 oz. :eek:

i don't actually have to package any of my meals for iorek except for the organs. i order my food from a raw company and they do all that work for me! i get 1 lb packages and just thaw and serve. the organs come in bags of 1 lb or whatever so i have to thaw and re-package that. i have a 2 lb bag now so i will have to repackage all that now into smaller bags. i am so lucky that i don't have to do all that other work!

i was thinking after i posted the message above that i would just give him 30% organs one day and then not bother with it the rest of the week. then it will balance out and i only have do deal with it once a week.

just a little question - if iorek eats a whole mackerel he is getting more organs than needed? you mentioned that your dogs get more organs when they get fish. i thought that they got 80-10-10 naturally in a whole animal? or do you feed more of the "middles" and less of the rest? iorek usually eats 2 mackerels at a time to be about 1 lb, he gets the heads, tails and everything in between :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I could easily clean the fish and see how much the liver of the mackerel weighs if I felt like it. But I don't and probably never will! Then I could subtract that amount from the other organ I buy. Yes, the mackerel is fine as is but I am including the wieght of the mackerel as all meat when it clearly is meat/bone/organ so it throws my calculations off. It is all only an extimate anyway, no biggie. Alas, he isn't getting 10.00% bone, 05.00% liver, 05.00% other organ and 80.00% meat. More like 10-20% bone, 10-20% organ and 60-80% meat.

If the dog is fine with the extra liver then that is the way to go. That is much less extreme than an all organ meal once a week for sure.

If you have room in the freezer you can cut the organ up and freeze spread out on a cookie sheet and then pack up in one bag. When I had room that is what I did.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is a great idea for the organs. my problem is that is comes to me cut up in little (about 1.6 oz) chunks frozen in 1 lb packages. they do all the work, except for the smaller packages. i am not sure if she would be able to package it in 4.8 oz packages which is 3 days worth of 10% organs. i will have to ask her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts