Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI once I again I seek some advice from experienced owner.

my puppy is now almost 4 months old but I get a little worried every now and then,
sometimes he chew on small pieces of rock, then he sometimes eat different garbage outside of our house that is why I always feared on leaving him alone and let
him play outside.
how can I stop him from eating garbage? its ok to just tasting it but not swallowing specially [email protected][email protected]
I am working on his biting inhibition but apparently when we yelp "ouch" he just get
more excited? so we leave him for a couple of minutes. But still he bites so hard.
We went to a puppy salon yesterday for his nail cutting and guess what? he drew blood in one of the staff and to himself since he is so wriggly. any advice on making him calm? like the one I see on the salon where the dog is staying still for almost 20-30mins of hair cutting.

thanks in advance. <3

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Don't leave him outside alone. He can't eat stones and trash if you're watching him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with HallowHeaven-- I wouldn't be leaving him alone just yet with how little he is. That's something to work up to, and even then I would be concerned with leaving him outside on his own depending on your living arrangements.

Concerning rocks and garbage, I would not let him eat any of it. If you haven't already, start working with him with the "Leave it!" command. It can be a life saver! When we taught Baron, we used it in combination with "Doggy Zen" (found here: http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/2522-doggy-zen.html) I never let Baron eat anything off the ground when we are outside because you never know if it could be poisonous/sharp/dangerous.

With his bites/mouthing, is everyone in your household being consistent? Is it a loud "ouch" or a high pitched "yipe"? We are still working with Baron on his mouthiness, but what we've found works best for him is a "yipe!" followed by ignoring him for a bit (or if we were playing a game, the game immediately ends). If your pooch still has his milk teeth, those things are definitely sharp!

Grooming is a very foreign concept to dogs and as such can be quite terrifying. You don't wake up one day and suddenly find yourself an acrobat-- it takes baby steps to start, repetition, and a lot of practice. Start by fussing with your dog's feet and making it a positive experience by praising and offering treats. Work up to having him let you hold his feet, play with his toes, look in between them, and move them around. All the while, keep it a positive and fun experience. I can promise you the dogs you see holding still for so long are doing so because they are used to it. :) Does your groomer offer practice grooming sessions for puppies? Some places do, if so you may want to look into it.

Good luck with your little one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for your replies.
I actually never leave him outside but I want him to play outside without his chain/colar and never go to the garbage bags, but when I let him roam freely he will
quickly run into the garbage and eat dirty stuffs, so I get him and put him inside the house. I will try the "leave it" command.
today we visited his vet for his last vaccination and check ups and we found out that he now have amebiasis! hopefully he will get better soon after
he finish taking his 5 days antibiotic.

about his biting, me and my husband is consistent about this BUT my husband cousins are not that consistent. I really hate it when they let my lucky eat their hands
and later I will suffer the consequences. But its really hard for me to tell them what to do since they are older than me.

I will ask the groomer if they have this practice grooming sessions, hopefully they have it since I want to keep him short nail at all times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We had a tough time with Stormy to get him to stop biting but he is doing good now at six months. The "loud sound and look of displeasure" and removing your hand with 20 seconds of ignoring seemed to be the best technique, but we had to teach visitors how to do it too as he would revert to biting. Today if he does bite, it is more of a toothing. Just keep at it.

Regarding the grooming, you really need to start young with more than one session a week. Our puppy was helping me water the lawn and getting a bath as soon we had him. Today he loves to play with the garden hose and he loves the attention he gets in the shower during his weekly bath. Not so sure yet about nail trimming however! Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
One of the most difficult things to do is to learn to stand up for yourself and stop other people from sabotaging your dog.

I trained my dog not to jump or bark when he was 6 mos. My neighbors thought he was so cute and well-behaved that they encouraged him to jump and get excited when we walked by. ... 10 years later, he still jumps and barks, b/c I didn't want to offend my neighbors ... who has since moved away! Today, when people mess up my training, I ask them to stop b/c he is in training. If they are rude and don't listen, then I remove my dog, where his training won't be harmed... and I tell them that I'm punishing the dog because he is disobedient .... I may reward the dog in private :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
One of the most difficult things to do is to learn to stand up for yourself and stop other people from sabotaging your dog.

I trained my dog not to jump or bark when he was 6 mos. My neighbors thought he was so cute and well-behaved that they encouraged him to jump and get excited when we walked by. ... 10 years later, he still jumps and barks, b/c I didn't want to offend my neighbors ... who has since moved away! Today, when people mess up my training, I ask them to stop b/c he is in training. If they are rude and don't listen, then I remove my dog, where his training won't be harmed... and I tell them that I'm punishing the dog because he is disobedient .... I may reward the dog in private :)
Right on there Hank!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts