Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the laundry room/studio just 15 minutes ago to put some laundry in. Its a separate entrance, so I had to go out the front door.
After putting the laundry in I went to go back into the main house, I was out for maybe 10 minutes tops.
The front door was open. I don't know if I didn't close it properly or what, but it was open, wide enough for a dog.
OH NO
I yelled "Caeda, Come" a few times, while clutching my cell phone to call my DH. I went in to put some proper shoes on so I could go searching. I was practically bawling at this point. I turned towards the door.
There's Caeda. WOW. Yeah, she got out, possibly my fault for not pulling the sliding door closed far enough but SHE CAME BACK WHEN I CALLED!
Still shaking but SO PROUD!
Looking for some solutions (that the landlord will approve of) for that door so we can ensure it closes properly from now on.

WHEW!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Worked up and worried for nothing ;)

I know the feeling though. I had a similar event a few weeks back. Left the house just for a short bit, so didn't bother to close the windows. My cat got curious and obviously discovered he could push the screen open from one of his favorite hiding spots, away from the dog...yeah, I walked up to my door a half hour later and thought "hmmm, hadn't seen an orange stray around here, he looks like...that IS Turbo!" haha

Glad it worked out this time for you!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have you tried to wedge a piece of wood so the door can't slide?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried to wedge a piece of wood so the door can't slide?
That might be our easiest, fastest (and least damaging) option.....finding one to cut to length :)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or not....that only works from the inside :p
Going to use a hook and eye perhaps, just for the quick trips out to the laundry room and such. The lock is too fiddly to use for those short trips (it didn't even have a lock when we moved in! we had to force the issue to get one!).
Also going to start on some "boundary training", I know kikopup finally did some videos on it. If I can get her boundary training half as good as her recall it'll probably help us out if there is ever another (possible) slip-up with the door closing. Does anybody know of any other good resources for boundary training?

I do find it kind of creepy though, I would SWEAR I heard random whistling while I was in the laundry room, like somebody half whistling a tune.....the landlord does that. I'm almost wondering if he came over to see us. If he was I could see him letting the dog out (he has done it before but while we were there), I certainly hope that isn't the case though, of course he is firmly in the mindset that "dogs should be allowed to roam", so I wouldn't be shocked. I'll take the blame if it was me, but that whistling is playing around in my head making me wonder....

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Hooary for Caeda! My favorite is when YOU'RE all panicky and they show up like, "hey, 'sup?" LOL.

God, it is SO scary. We had to replace our 4 1/2' chain link fence with a 6' privacy fence last fall because Maisy learned to jump the shorter one. Nothing like checking on your dogs in the yard after a few minutes to find there's one less dog than you let out. Fortunately, she never went farther than visiting neighboring dogs in their yards along the alley, but it could have been BAD, we aren't that far away from a couple of busy streets.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Im glad she was ok and came back when called! thats great. I wonder if its possible for a forum to have a "full moon" period....it sure has been an insane couple weeks here! Ive been considering how much it would cost to buy and install a 10 ft tall blockade of concrete walls to fence in my acre lot. Hmmmn. :) And then maybe a net over the top, to prevent jumping out. lol

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I asked the fence guys about a ten-footer but unfortunately 6' is the legal limit in my city. :p If by some miracle anyone manages to get over this one, coyote rollers are the next step.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right osdbmom, its got to be a full moon period, so many bad things seem to be happening to so many on the forum. It actually crossed through my mind "Oh no, are we next!" when I was yelling for her.
I really wish we could get a fence, but between finances and landlord its a no go :p. I'm VERY tempted to offer to pay for a different door for the house, but I don't think we can afford that (I mean really, who makes the ONLY door to a house a sliding glass door...just seems odd).
Once again though, she's shocked me with her recall. So proud about that.
Exciting day for her, she did have that "Hey, 'sup" look on her face when she was at the door, she actually looked surprised it was closed! She's had a bath and a beef knuckle today too, so hopefully she'll just mellow out for a bit now :)
I so take for granted how attached I am to her until one of these incidents happens.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Im glad she was ok and came back when called! thats great. I wonder if its possible for a forum to have a "full moon" period....it sure has been an insane couple weeks here! Ive been considering how much it would cost to buy and install a 10 ft tall blockade of concrete walls to fence in my acre lot. Hmmmn. :) And then maybe a net over the top, to prevent jumping out. lol
The " Full Moon " thing is EXACTLY what I have been thinking myself this last couple of weeks .... I am so glad Caeda's recall is working ... such a scary thing not being able to find your dog .... so much can happen so quickly. Good Job Caeda! ( and Mom too!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts