Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So Meeko's been with me approx. 2 weeks now, and things are going great. He plays with my cats and foster dog with no problems, and absolutely adores his crate.

I have taught him to sit, lie down, and stand up on command (still working on stay lol!), and he knows to go to his crate for his meal time, sleep time, and also when we're eating.

So needless to say, he is a very smart boy and catches on pretty quickly... The only issue I have been having with him is with his potty training.

He's PRETTY MUCH clean in the house, but I never let him out of the crate for more than a couple hours at a time at the moment, and each time I take him out of his crate, I have been taking him outside for potty breaks.

So here's my issue... Meeko will pee when he is outside. He pees usually right away. He asks for the door and everything.. but once in a while, he will forget to ask, and he will pee on my bed :doh: We are using an enzymatic cleaner, so it's not the smell. I think maybe he just has a very small bladder since he is only 7 lbs, but I already take him out 4 times a day??

At this point I am looking into teaching him to go on a pee pad. I know a lot of people are opposed to the use of pee pads, but at this point it looks like it's the only option? I can't take him out more than how often I am currently taking him out since I live in an apt and I have no yard.

I went ahead and bought a tray thing to put the pee pad on so that he would have an easier time recognizing where he can pee... not sure if that will help >_<

So how do I get him to go on the pee pad??? Obviously he usually waits until he is let out to pee at the moment... I don't want to confuse him more but we have had to wash the sheets multiple times since he has been home, and I am at my wit's end :doh:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hold old is he?

When I first got my puppy, I really didn't have much option but to use a pee pad and going out. He was so little (2lbs) when I brought him home (now over 9 lbs :) ) and really young (long story there) he had to go so often, I would've been living outside lol. So I did the pee pads for mostly night time, and parts of the day when I really couldn't get him out. I have a really bad back, so on my bad days, he uses them. All I did to get him to use them, Is put him on them every few minutes (about 5 to 10 minutes) after eating/playing and napping. Thats about usually when they need to go, and of course all the times in between. I also didn't clean up the messes on the pads right away, just so he could smell thats were "potting' is suppose to go. He caught on soon enough (it does take some time though)

Now that he is older, he can hold it longer, so I have pretty much done away with them. Except the one in our room. Our female cat uses them now -_- who knew you could pee pad train a cat without trying?

As Meeko gets older, house training will get easier :) He will learn to hold it longer so that will help.

Oh and congrats on teaching him that already! I barely got mine to learn sit lol He's stubborn when it comes to training. But he's working on it :D

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meeko isn't a puppy. We don't know of his exact age (puppy mill rescue), but he is around a year old. Shouldn't he have full control of his bladder by now?

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will do that... And this might sound gross, but would it be a good idea to maybe scoop out some "yellow snow" from his previous outings from the outside and put it on the pad?

I also didn't explain the poop situation, but basically right now he is refusing to go potty outside for poop ughhh he will run around, poop before I can stop him (thankfully on the hardwood floor), AND THEN go ask for the door... like what?? >_<

And that's so funny about your cat! Speaking of cats and poop (and also sort of unrelated to potty training), the first few days was a nightmare letting him roam around, even with supervision, because Meeko would dig out cat poop from the litter box and run around the house with them D: Luckily he has stopped that now (he knows "leave it"!).

Thank you! ^_^ Meeko is EXTREMELY food motivated, and clicker training does wonders ;D I even use clicker training for my cats!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The snow thing might work, it wont hurt to try :) That way he can smell his scent their. For the pooping, my advice on that is if he doesn't go when you first take him out. Take him again about 5 minutes after bringing him in (itll be worth it in the end making the effort :) It sucks doing it in the cold lol) Or just leash him to you till he acts like he has to go, then take him out right away! (maybe have some treats in a baggy handy by the door to grab) and as soon as he is done pooping, treat and highly praise! It works! He will get the Idea, that going outside means some good happy attention :)

Your welcome too! I know it's stressful at times :) He should be able to hold it by now, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. When it is that type of situation, the best thing to do, is treat it like a new puppy and start from basics. Especially coming from a puppy mill (btw that is wonderful he was rescued from that!) they don't generally care to train them, and leave them in cages. So he more than likely he wasn't taught to hold it, and just went whenever he had the urge to go.

Haha yeah my husband and I busted up laughing when we first noticed her doing it. So now we still by them for her instead of Jax ^_^

I just found my clicker recently! I don't know how to clicker train really, so I got a bit of reading up to do (and youtube searching >_< ) on that. Jax LOVES food, he will do just about anything (including hopping on his back legs) for it haha but the moment food is gone, he's like "forget you, there's no food, I'm not doing it" lol >_<

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Welcome!
Yes, he SHOULD have control of his bladder if he's a year old. However, having 3 small breed dogs, I can tell you that they often can't hold it as long as other dogs can.

Not sure if you're aware, but, puppy mill rescues do tend to have some problems, some of those problems are physical and some are behavioral. Sometimes, dogs that try to "hold it" longer than they should develop UTI, urinary tract infections, that's just one example of a physical issue that could cause housebreaking trouble. Also, some dogs, because of health issues, are incontinent.

As for behavioral, lots of puppy mill dogs aren't taken "out" to go potty. They learn that they pretty much have to go pee/poop wherever they are when they need to go. This happens with some shelter/rescue/pound dogs, for the same reason, they often just don't have the staff to talk the dogs potty when the dog needs it, so they get used to going wherever.

It really sounds like he just goes potty wherever he happens to be when he needs to go, be it outside or inside. And, if he doesn't know he's only supposed to go outside, then why should he ask, right? I mean, if he thinks inside is an option, he doesn't need to ask to go out.

Even though he's not a puppy, I would potty train him as if he was. Don't let him out of your sight. When you let him out of the crate, take him out to potty. Even if he potties, when you bring him back in, keep him in your sight. That way, if he shows signs of needing to go, you can take him out.
Also, keep him on a feeding schedule, this should help you know when he needs to poop. When you think he should need to poop (15 minutes to 45 minutes after eating, depending on each dog being different) take him out, and don't give up until he goes. And, take him out every hour or so. I know, it's hard being in an apartment. But, until he gets it, he'll need to go out often, in order to prevent accidents.

Keeping him in your sight is the hard one for most people. People now a days multi-task. So, people supervise their dog while working on the computer, or they supervise their dog while watching tv, or reading. As you probably know, it only takes a few seconds for a potty accident to happen. So, if you look away, and he takes that time to have an accident......yikes. The more he is allowed to go inside, the more he will think it's ok to go inside.

Basically, when he's awake, you should have your eyes directly on him. If he's sleeping or lying down with a toy, you're off the hook for a bit. But, if he's awake and on the move, you should be keeping your eyes on him. If you can PREVENT accidents, you will be able to shape his behavior. If you simply don't allow accidents because you are being extra vigilant about taking him out and supervising, then he won't have a choice EXCEPT to do the right thing. Don't give him a choice. The more you take the inside potty choice away, the more he'll get used to being outside as the only acceptable option.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think the hardest part is keeping him within my sight. The little guy is a ball of energy! Even with good half an hour walks twice a day, he is still constantly on the move >_<

As for the pee pad, I want to give him the option of going somewhere if I am gone for long hours. I am rarely gone for more than 6 hours but I don't want him to hold it in for too long. How do I get him interested in the pee pad? I did the yellow snow thing, but he shows no interest >_< My cat has been using the pee pad as a bed for now >_<

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
One tip for keeping him in your sight is to use baby gates to block of the room you are in, so he has to stay in that room, too, or you can use the umbilical cord method, which is to tether him to you with a leash. You can hook it to a belt loop, or around your wrist or waist.

As for the pee pad, if you truly want to train him to use it, you would do that the same way as you train him to go outside. When he acts like he needs to go, or if he hasn't gone in awhile, you put him on the pad, and say "go potty" or whatever words you're using. You actually have to take him there, say the words, and give praise and treats if he does.
That said, some people leave the pads out in hopes that the puppy will use them, but don't ACTIVELY train them to use it, because they don't want to use them forever, so they kind of just home they use them, but, don't show them how.

The other thing is, you could just make sure you leave him in an ex-pen crate set up in a room with easy to clean floors, and NOT leave a pad. Then you aren't training him to use one, but if he has to pee on the floor, you just clean up.

We found that training to use a pad led our puppy to believe he could pee on anything pad like, like door mats, throw rugs, bath mats, etc......so we took the pads away, and just left them in the kitchen with laminate floors.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think we'll just give up on the pee pad thing lol! Meeko is doing much better with housetraining. He is clean in terms of pee 99% of the time now... but the poop is still an ongoing issue. He poops so frequently, I don't understand! Most dogs poop 1-2 times a day from what I know, but this guy poops 3-4 times a day?? He is on raw food and he is getting the appropriate amount, so I don't think that I am overfeeding? @[email protected] He is still asking for the door AFTER he poops ugh >_<

We have increased the amount of outings. We are taking him out 3-4 times a day at the moment. Hopefully I will only have to take him out 3 times a day by the end of this. Does that sound okay for a pom? (so it would be around 7:30 AM in the morning, and then later at 5:00 PM, and then before bed around 11:00 PM).

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Hopefully I will only have to take him out 3 times a day by the end of this. Does that sound okay for a pom? (so it would be around 7:30 AM in the morning, and then later at 5:00 PM, and then before bed around 11:00 PM).
This is really individual. I have four, but for the purposes of this we're only going to talk about the two adults (6 years).

Jack would be fine with that schedule. Bug would NOT. She is very well housebroken and will hold it, but she really needs out at least once in the middle of the day, and twice between 5p.m and midnight. So 5 times. If we could NOT let her out at noon, she'd probably hold it, but would be uncomfortable. No way would she make it with that 5-11 stretch though, because she's moving around, drinking, eating, and playing during those six hours. So, for her it's more like 5, 8, and 11.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can I tell if he is uncomfortable? He doesn't seem uncomfortable with it. I mean, we watch him like a hawk, but usually he is out and about with us between 5 and 11, and he does not ask for the door and he doesn't run around looking for a place to pee...

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
How can I tell if he is uncomfortable? He doesn't seem uncomfortable with it. I mean, we watch him like a hawk, but usually he is out and about with us between 5 and 11, and he does not ask for the door and he doesn't run around looking for a place to pee...
For Bug it's the mad dash for the door so she can squat and pee about a gallon :p When she needs to go in general she just stares at the door, or walks between the person she's asking and the door. But when she's been left longer or asked to hold it longer there's a full out scramble and dash for the door and as soon as her feet are over the threshold she's squatting and going.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would take him out more often - 4 times per day isn't all that often for a dog who is new to the house training thing, especially a small breed with a small bladder. Take him out every hour if you have to and praise and treat heavily when he goes. When you're inside, supervise the heck out of him.

Personally, I wouldn't use the pee pad. I think it just trains the dog to pee indoors on something which can be a hard habit to break later.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I think, until he's gotten it, you should set a schedule and take him out, whether he shows signs of needing to go or not. He's new to potty training, so to speak, meaning he was older, but had not gotten the hang of it. So, better safe than sorry, give him as many opportunities as needed, until it's not needed anymore.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My dog is a year old and a small (20lbs) dog, and is well housebroken IMO (generalizes to other indoor places - doesn't pee at playgroups, in other people's homes etc...). He has held it for 11 hrs overnight until I finally dragged him out of bed and made him go out. During the day, however, I try not to leave him for more than 6 hrs without a potty break. He generally goes out between 7-8, 12-1, 4-5, and 10-11, and often after dinner but before bed too, so something like 7:30ish. 9.5 hrs seems like a long time during the day; is there any way you could hire a dog walker?

·
Registered
473 Posts
So here's my issue... Meeko will pee when he is outside. He pees usually right away. He asks for the door and everything.. but once in a while, he will forget to ask, and he will pee on my bed :doh: We are using an enzymatic cleaner, so it's not the smell. I think maybe he just has a very small bladder since he is only 7 lbs, but I already take him out 4 times a day??
You only take him out 4 times/day?! I wish I could limit Kobi to 4x/day!!!

I don't know how old your pup is, but we've had to take Kobi out almost 1x/hour until he hit about 16 weeks, and then it went to 1x/2 hours (give or take).

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
You only take him out 4 times/day?! I wish I could limit Kobi to 4x/day!!!

I don't know how old your pup is, but we've had to take Kobi out almost 1x/hour until he hit about 16 weeks, and then it went to 1x/2 hours (give or take).
Not a puppy, he mentions above. BIG difference. At 8 months old, Kylie goes out 4, maybe 5, times a day. She decided to be reliably housebroken between 4 and 5 months, but that was alerting. At this point she's on the same schedule as the adult dogs: 8 a.m, noon and then 4, 8, and 11. So, 5 times I guess - but we're very done with every couple of hours. For her. Thud, mind you, is still every couple of hours (but he's a big guy).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CptJack, that's too funny! Poor Bug lol. Meeko just runs to the door (we live in an upper duplex, so I hear his pitter patter down the staircase to the door), and waits for me there if he wants to go out for a pee (so far so good for pee, anyway, he's been doing this for 5 days or so now). Poop is another story though.. -__-

Hambonez, I could probably fit in another outing somewhere in between those hours... 7:30 AM, 1:00 PM, 5:00 PM and then 11:00 PM would be possible. Does that sound okay?

Kobismom, Meeko is not a puppy. He is approx. ~1 year old. I picked an older dog on purpose so that I wouldn't have to deal with the puppy stages lol! Not that puppies are bad... I just don't have the time to raise one @[email protected]

I guess the consensus here is to keep a more regular schedule and to take him out more often. Any thoughts on the pooping 3-4 times a day thing? Do you think maybe he's just constipated (maybe I'm adding too much bone to his diet)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts