Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying townhouse train a rescued puppy. I am able to take him to work with me. At work he will stays tethered to my desk with me. Most of the time he sleeps or chews on something then pulls towards the door and whines. This is him telling me he needs to go out. We will go out, he pees, we walk a little, we go back in.

Home is a completely different story. Regardless of how close I watch him he will be standing five feet in front of me and just walk and pee in front of me. We've tried everything. We don't want to go the crate training route. I know there a lot of people that will disagree and that's ok. But we are diligent. We go out every 20 minutes or so and he pees but it doesn't keep him from still peeing inside 3-4 times an evening right after spending 9 hours in an office with zero accidents.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Are you making it worth his while? Bucky isn't a baby and he needs a cookie and praise for going in the right place.

Is he busy playing and off the tether at home? Might be doing some lightening of the load going on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you making it worth his while? Bucky isn't a baby and he needs a cookie and praise for going in the right place.

Is he busy playing and off the tether at home? Might be doing some lightening of the load going on.
We try to. I always pet him and praise him a bunch when he does outside. We also have cheese we have started giving him for going outside. We only give him the cheese for outside, nothing else, so its special kind of. I never spank or rub his nose in it for doing it inside.

He plays some in the house, not a ton. He is still a puppy so he doesn't seem to focus on anything for very long. But we don't play a ton at work either. He plays for a minute, then sleeps...rinse repeat.

I am going to start keeping him on a short leash at all times inside the house for now since we aren't going the crate route. Hopefully this helps. Last night we were having a bad potty nice so we were going out every 20 minutes (then 5 minutes later if he didnt do anything) and he was clearly getting tired of it, but I was getting tired of cleaning up pee. So hopefully this helps some.

Just thought I'd ask for any words of wisdom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts