Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my 2 boys for a walk. We went with my mother who had my sister's small dog, Fuzz with her. Everything was going well, we walked past several other dogs when we decided to go a few extra blocks and walked past this house with a rod iron fence with bushes on the inside of it.

We were about half way across their property on the sidewalk when their dog lunged through the fence and grabbed Oliver. It just got hair but needless to say, BOTH of my dogs and Fuzz went nuts trying to go back at the dog. It was a Golden Retriever. The owner was on a deck about 25 feet or so away. She yelled "I am so sorry" but never took a step toward the dog to get him away from the fence. He was still lunging at my dogs who were now lunging back at him. Their other dog by this point, another Golden Retriever, had also come running to the fence and was obviously excited but seemingly afraid of the aggressive Golden as he stayed far away from him.

My Mother dragged Fuzz away and I got my boys away from the fence. I stopped to check Oliver over to see if there was any blood. My mother said "I think that lady was afraid of her own dog." We were both angry that this woman didn't even come to get the dog away from the fence. Why in the world would you have a fence right up to the sidewalk when you have a dog that is vicious and can get it's face through the fence enough to grab another dog? Oliver didn't even see it coming, nor did I. I think the dog was actually sitting there in wait between the bushes. I would be willing to guess this is a normal thing for this dog.

As much as I didn't blame my dogs for being excited and trying to defend themselves, it irritates me that this happened. There is no animal control in that area or I would have called. I thought about reporting it to the police but figured they would look the other way anyhow as it was only Golden Retrievers. I am sick of that attitude when it comes to vicious dogs.

Anyone else have a problem like this on their walks? Would you have called the cops?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Tell me about it. We have two people who leave their aggressive (one DA, the other DA and HA) dogs out front, unattended on leashes long enough to reach the other side of the street. Then we have several people who allow their DA dogs to roam around off leash so they can attack your leashed dog. Don't bother calling them on it, they don't care. I gave the one guy a nice collar and leash after his dog almost got hit by a car chasing my dog, and I've yet to see him use it.

They suck, all of them.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I used to live in the city, I still have my cattle prod... I would have used it & then some to protect my dog, not too many dogs want to contend with 50k volts, I know it sounds cruel but I have a responsibility & an obligation to protect my dogs.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to live in the city, I still have my cattle prod... I would have used it & then some to protect my dog, not too many dogs want to contend with 50k volts, I know it sounds cruel but I have a responsibility & an obligation to protect my dogs.
Doesn't sound cruel at all, I have been known to use them as well. I can't legally use it when their dog is IN their fenced yard. I couldn't believe it grabbed Oliver through the fence. What a horrid dog. Well, it isn't the dogs fault, it is the horrible owner. I also believe she was afraid of her own dog. I was glad it didn't end up worse then it did. Oliver is a spaz when things like that happen. He can start transferring his aggression. He went after Carsten a little but only verbally, he didn't nip. I got inbetween and got them both away from there as quick as I could. I HATE that people allow their animals to behave like that.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I havent had that happen but if it did, I probably would alert the cops.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's absolutely horrible that people can't be responsible enough to at least give their dogs some basic obedience and stop these things from happening.

It's bad that it happened to you dog and if it were to happen to someone's kid that dog would be put down because of that owner.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's absolutely horrible that people can't be responsible enough to at least give their dogs some basic obedience and stop these things from happening.

It's bad that it happened to you dog and if it were to happen to someone's kid that dog would be put down because of that owner.
That was my thought too. What if it were a kid or an old person. Maybe the dog would not go after a human but what if an old person was walking a dog or a kid walking a dog that this nasty dog goes after? The old person or child could have been bit. It just makes me crazy mad that people do not take responsibility for their animals, or kids or even their own actions.

Oliver seems alright today, yesterday every time there was a noise he was growling and acting defensive. He is a wimp from the word "go", it doesn't take much to make him freak out. It is just so frustrating that there is no safe place to walk my dogs in town anymore. Sad.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
So sorry that happened to you all, Inga. And good thing Fuzz was A-OK! With that type of thing I'd just wouldn't walk there anymore, or walk on the other side of the street, or yes, call the police and inform them that a dangerous dog is in the area and could harm a person (whether it'd be a child or not) or an animal. And yes, take something with you! I always thought they were called zappers, but yes a cattle prod would do well. I've worked on a farm and they will move the cow, so a dog would definitely run from one.

I take Luke out of our complex a lot and so we pass houses with dogs. I especially hate it when there if a fence between me, Luke, and their dogs but it's not high enough. The dog, if they wanted to, could jump the fence. On those houses, I walk on the other side of the street and ignore them completely. Two are PB's, one is a GSD (which I call a junk yard dog cause their front yard is a mess and the dog acts very aggressively even after we've left his territory). The other are, yes, two Goldens. But thankfully their fence is tall where they can't jump it.

I was told by my employer that since there are many Labs, Goldens, common breeds basically, that many breeders are inbreeding them and that's why they act aggressively. I'm not really sure if I believe that. There were many dogs in the kennel I used to work for and many dogs you thought sweet were nasty and some that you thought nasty were sweet. I think it just goes both ways with dog aggression.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I had the fence jumping happen to me once when an aggressive Boxer jumped the fence and attacked Padfoot as a puppy... I was about 10-12 and was standing there in the middle of the street screaming bloody murder, and later the owners had the nerve to tell me that I was IN their yard... NOT! They don't own the freaking street! I wish I had called animal control on them but I didn't think of it at that young age.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ugh :( So sorry that happened! Hope everybody's okay. It sounds like that lady is scared of her dog.

I took my dogs out Sunday morning and a lady was walking by with her Puggle. Colby jerked the leash out of my hand and pranced over to that dog. Nothing happened, but I was so embarrassed that Colby ran over, I couldn't stop apologizing to the lady, so I can't even imagine how I'd feel if anything DID happen. :(

We were on a walk yesterday and apparently there were two aggressive labs running around off-leash! Luckily, I ran into one of our neighbors who warned me where they were and we were able to avoid them. Apparently they bum-rushed her Samoyed. >.<

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I can't legally use it when their dog is IN their fenced yard. [ /QUOTE]

Technically the dogs head was outside their property and you could have zapped him on the ear.
I agree. The sidewalk is NOT their property. I would have alerted the police. At least it would be on record. I see nothing wrong with taking a cattle prod, stick, golf club, or whatever it takes to keep you and your pets safe from an aggressive dog.

·
Registered
101 Posts
that sucks that happened. at least the dog was mostly contained behind a fence, though that lady really should have gone up and gotten control, or if she knows her dog acts like that, do something to prevent it from potentially hurting someone (a blockade in front of the fence or something).

i live in the city and have had several unsupervised and unleashed dogs run up while walking my dog. once, in the winter, these kids were playing in a snowbank with their dog, a pretty beefy looking pit, who had a lead on her, but was not being held on to at all. when we walked by she ran up. at first gunther and this dog were just smelling each other, okay, but suddenly she jumped up ontop of gunther and started to bite the back of his neck. luckily my friend was nearby and grabbed the lead and yanked the dog off because i was about to kick that dog in the head. it's not fair that there is a free roaming dog against my leashed dog.
then a week later, just gunther and me are walking down the street and the same dog comes running out from behind a house. this time no one is around. no kids, no one. i'm like, "sh*t" and start to cross the street slowly while very sternly warning "no," to this dog every time she tried to move closer to us. I got across the street and she was in the middle of the street when a car came down the road and, lucky for the dog, slowed down. the dog took off back towards her house and we got the hell out of there.

not only could that pit have injured my dog, and possibly got injured herself if gunther fought back and i jumped in (i don't want to hurt a dog, but if one tries to attack me or my dog, i will kick that dog in the ribs with my hard toed work boots), she could have easily gotten hit by a car. irresponsible people are more dangerous than the dog, because not only can a loose aggressive dog be dangerous to others, it can be dangerous to itself. just because some people don't take the time or don't care enough when getting a dog.:mad:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apparently people in that neighborhood know those dogs for what they are. Nobody that lives right next door has dogs so... they basically don't care.

I had asked the cops once awhile back about using the cattle prod and they said "yes you can use it but NOT if the dog is on it's owner's property" which these dogs technically were. I have been known to carry them but on this walk, I didn't even think of it. I would have loved to jump the fence myself and zap the heck out of the stupid owner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts