Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i am on the lookout for another dog,the only thing i am looking for is a female other than that can be any size or breed.
I am looking for opinions on breed or a mix with a certain breed in it.
I currently have 2 3year old beagles both very easy going(both neutered males)
I currently have 4 cats
We walk at least 2 hours a day(1 in the morning and 1 in the evening)sometimes with a walk in the middle.
I am more or less looking for breed suggestions,Please do not tell me to go to a shelter because i already know to do that(and have)but i may want an actual purebred(since my other 2 are rescues).I am just looking for compatible breeds,feel free to ask any questions you may have about my current dogs or living situation or anything for that matter.
I am not looking right away i am thinking for the future at least 2-6 months away.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
What other traits or physical characteristics are you looking for...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no physical characteristics i am looking for just a laid back easy going dog that loves long walks,some frisbee,fetch....I am not picky.I was looking at either another beagle or it seems there are always shepherd mixes in the shelters.I have always like the shepherd breed too.
So ya i know i am not specific,i probably would be alot more if i really wanted a purebred but since it does not matter i am open to breed suggestions and mixes.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
How about a Dobe, sounds like they'd LOVE living with you with the amount of exercise you provide. My girl LOVES frisbee, tennis balls, playing 'find it' ect. They're easy keepers as well with fairly low grooming needs. Of course a GSD or Rottweiler would also fit the bill.

·
Registered
966 Posts
How about a Dobe, sounds like they'd LOVE living with you with the amount of exercise you provide. My girl LOVES frisbee, tennis balls, playing 'find it' ect. They're easy keepers as well with fairly low grooming needs. Of course a GSD or Rottweiler would also fit the bill.
I think a GSD or rottweiler might be a little too fast-paced or demanding to fit in well with the current residents. (I don't know much about dobermans, so I can't speak to them.)

I think a shepherd mix from the shelter might work out great. At the shelters I've volunteered at there has been variability in the energy levels of the shepherd mixes, but most were a good medium. I'm sure you could find a laid back shepherd if you look for that.

You might also come across some kind of hound or hound mix that would work well. If not a beagle, perhaps a basset hound or some other type.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm a Doberman,My boyfriends favorite breed.
Basset hounds seem a little slower pace than i kinda want.I would love a larger breed dog as my beagles are smaller but i am also not size picky.
To be honest i am not much into the really small dogs like chihuahua,yorkies.....pretty much anything the size of my cats :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
I know I've seen hound mixes at the shelters, but when I was trying to think of specific hound breeds I kind of drew a blank. All I could think of was basset hounds. Maybe some other type of hound or hound mix would be better.
Although... the more I think about it the more I say shepherd mix.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Hmm a Doberman,My boyfriends favorite breed.
Basset hounds seem a little slower pace than i kinda want.I would love a larger breed dog as my beagles are smaller but i am also not size picky.
To be honest i am not much into the really small dogs like chihuahua,yorkies.....pretty much anything the size of my cats :)
Plus you'd probably be able to find an older Pup in rescue right now or you could go through the Breed club to find a reputable breeder is you wanted a pup with a clean slate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well we have figured on defiantly getting a big dog and are looking to get one in September or October.
I have been actively searching breeders(just in case we decide to go pure breed) and the different rescues.
We do not want a puppy we want an older dog at least 1year old.
The breeds we are looking into are Bullmastiff,Doberman,German shepherd(or any mix with one of those breeds in it)Of course we are not set on those breeds but very high preference with them.
If you own any of those breeds and have some advice,good things and bad things about them i would love to hear them.If you know of any websites i can check out that would be great too(as i just googled each of the breeds and read the results).

Thanks.

This is one of the german shepherd breeders i was looking into.
http://www.janzhaus.com/Janzhaus/default.asp

·
Registered
966 Posts
Maybe you should start another thread asking the german shepherd people what they think of that breeder. I think they have very good looking dogs, but it looks like they don't title them. I'm not sure about that though, because I can't understand the way they listed their pedigrees. You might want to get the attention of Xeph, among others, and ask them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The home page says they are OFA certified and CKC registered,This is from their home page too
All our dogs are working line GSD's, thus making them sturdy, agile, calmly confident and with sound stature.
So does that make a difference with them not showing them?

I have made a new thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts