Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First post on the forum but long time dog owner. We have a new puppy to add to our family. He is our only dog at this time. I have owned dogs before but never really researched food. Now that I know more than I used to I want to feed him the best that I can. Raw was my first option and I still plan on going to it once my schedule slows a little bit. I work most of my days away.
We started on IAM's for about 3 days then switched to Kirkland Salmon dog food which he was pretty good on. He ate Kirkland and some raw chicken daily. I switched him to Orijen Puppy a week ago. His poops are a lot bigger. I remember most people saying that they are smaller and less frequent.
When we first got him he had an issue eating rocks, paper, trash, anything he could get too. Once we switched him to Kirkland he did stop this strange habit that I've read could be caused by the dog believing he is lacking nutrients. Since we've switched to Orijen he has started this habit back up again. I am not ready to throw in the towel yet I am just wondering what other peoples thoughts and opinons are on this. I know Champion also makes Acana and have given thought to try that. I can also get Blue Buffalo Wilderness for a decent price out here (Hawaii).
Just want to know if anyone has had a similar case or has any thoughts on this one.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Maybe because Orijen is so calorie-dense, he has to eat less of it and doesn't feel full? Anyway, if the Kirkland fixed the problem I'd go back to that. It's a decent food, and of course what matters most is how your dog does on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is actually eating more on Orijen. We got him from a breeder and we when first for him he was around the middle of the pack in weight. Since he was on kirkland he has become the lowest weight of the pack. He's only been on Orijen for a week, but he eats about 1 cup more of it than he was of the kirkland per day. He currently is eating about 3 1/2 - 4 cups a day.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If he's only been on the Orijen a week, he may not be fully adjusted. Did you gradually switch him over? That could have an impact as well on what you're seeing. How big is he? 4 cups for a growing pup isn't too bad, if he's an average sized pup--but it simply could be he is eating too much of a too rich food for him, as well.

He surely shouldn't be lacking anything in his diet on the Orijen...is he eating those objects because he is bored perhaps? How much exercise is he getting? Does he have chew toys? A kong or an antler perhaps? Something to keep his chewing needs satisfied?

·
Registered
85 Posts
He might also be allergic to something in Orijen. One of my dogs has a weird allergy to some kind of berry or root used in several top quality dog foods. His reaction was larger poops as well and eating grass and other things to try to settle his stomach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has plenty of toys to play with that we rotate through. Kongs, antlers, various other toys. Gets plenty of exercise. He is 13 weeks old now and weighs 35lbs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
1 cup more seems like a significant difference to me, try 2 1/2 cups and stop free-feeding. He may just be eating more because he likes the food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts