Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, Dogforums!

I am posting on behalf of my technologically impaired friend, who got his puppy a few months ago from a shelter. He has been struggling to find out what breed(s) are in his heritage. I have asked this question on several different places before, but could not get any real specific answer (they were very varied). Here come the pictures!

When he was 2 months old:

A bit older (not sure exactly when)

Couple of weeks ago

Now (4 months and a bit)

Last time he was at the vet, he weighed in at 9 pounds, probably a bit more now.

Thank you in advance! :party:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
How old is he now?

I see a little Corgi in there somewhere. Oh, and you aren't going to find any specific 'this is what your dog is' answers here either. We just do our best to make educated guesses on what we see in pictures; no science here. :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Do you know how much he weighs? What is his coat texture like? Looks like a medium-long single coat?

ETA Oops! I see where you mentioned how much he weighs now. He actually kind of reminds me of my Papillon, Basil. He looks like he might grow bigger than a Papillon but that's not uncommon for poorly bred Paps and Pap mixes. Basil is 20 lbs.

Not sure what else is in there, maybe some American Eskimo Dog? His coat color and facial structure kind of make me think this. That wouldn't really explain the shortish coat and floppy ears, though... but honestly that could just be because he's a puppy. It'll probably be easier to get an accurate guess of what breeds might be in him when he's a little older.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your answers guys,

How old is he now?

I see a little Corgi in there somewhere. Oh, and you aren't going to find any specific 'this is what your dog is' answers here either. We just do our best to make educated guesses on what we see in pictures; no science here. :)
Like I said in the main post, he is currently 4 months and almost a half :)

As for the educated guesses, I'm looking for exactly that! Additionally, perhaps someone might have owned/seen a similar pup and known their linage.

Looks like some kind of spaniel in the mix to me, especially in the younger pictures.
I was suspecting this too. Someone with a lab x spaniel commented on his similar appearance to hers when he was especially young (as see in the first few pictures).

Do you know how much he weighs? What is his coat texture like? Looks like a medium-long single coat?

ETA Oops! I see where you mentioned how much he weighs now. He actually kind of reminds me of my Papillon, Basil. He looks like he might grow bigger than a Papillon but that's not uncommon for poorly bred Paps and Pap mixes. Basil is 20 lbs.

Not sure what else is in there, maybe some American Eskimo Dog? His coat color and facial structure kind of make me think this. That wouldn't really explain the shortish coat and floppy ears, though... but honestly that could just be because he's a puppy. It'll probably be easier to get an accurate guess of what breeds might be in him when he's a little older.
I was suspecting both of these. His coat is kind of short, definitely shorter than the pictures of Eskie pups I've seen. Unfortunately though I have not had experience with double coated breeds so I cannot comment on that - but his coat is silky smooth and hasn't had matting problems.

As for his ears, it's weird, because they are sometimes erect and sometimes

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My guess would be some sort of spaniel and sheltie maybe? Or something like that. Eskie could be a good guess too. Really reminds me of my second sheltie as a pup though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts