Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy sometimes growls at the door, looking at me, wanting to go out

I have given her heck for it and made her work to be let out. Is there something else I could or should do?

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
Why would you make her work to be let out? And why give her heck for it?

Isn't it a good thing that a dog asks to be let out when they need to go out?

Some people use bells at the door for the dog to ring when they want to go out. If your dog is asking to go outside at a time when you can't let her go (like, when you're heading to work or late at night) and is just because she wants to play (as in, she has recently had a potty break already), then you can just say "Sorry" and distract her into someone else (training session, play, Kong in her crate when you leave whatever).

When my dog needs to go outside, he will walk to the door but if I don't see him or pay attention, he comes over to me and barks once or he will "talk" to me (a growly/talky sound) that says "Pay attention to me and let me out please"

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You're making your dog work to go to the bathroom? o-O
I think if someone made me work to go use the bathroom I'd wizz on something then laugh while they had to clean it up. Of course dogs can't, and don't, spite, but it's the same basic scenario.
I doubt your dog is 'growling' at you. Growls mean a lot of different things. Dogs have noises for all sorts of things, and sometimes what can sound like a common knowledge growl is actually 'hey, excuse me, but I need to go potty. please open the door'.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Never punish a growl. It sounds like she's just "talking" and ansking to go out. Do you not like her to ask to go out? That's a major part of house training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts