Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week old Maltese. His name is Koda (I've introduced him here before). We have him 90% litter box trained with a dog litter box layered with papers. He was eating the litter so now we only use paper. Our problem is that a few times a day, he gets in a "mood" and starts playing with the paper, dragging it around the house. We say "DROP IT!" and he puts it down and we say "GOOD BOY!!!!"... looks at us... then he taunts us! He'll grab it again and then he won't respond to "DROP IT!". He'll run away with the paper. We get him and put him in his "Time-Out" area. We start with one minute and then increase and we never let him out until he stops whining. BUT... as soon as we let him out, he goes right back over to the paper... grabs it and runs! One day it went on until he fell asleep in his time-out and then later he did it all over again.

At one point we were saying "DROP IT" and then "GOOD BOY" and then gave him a treat... but then the little smarty learned and started just going for the paper to get a treat, so we stopped the treats.

Anyone have any ideas for us?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
LOL, He's not taunting, he's PLAYING a game. Dogs don't taunt, they don't even understand the concept of it.

Instead of yelling and chasing him (which is what he wants 'cause it's fun and focuses attention on HIM) try replacing the play object with a BETTER play object (aka redirecting) such as a small pull toy or squeaker and make a NEW game that's MORE fun. OR tire him out with a training session, I reccomend Doggy Zen which teaches "Leave It" you can use food or play as a reward, whichever he seems most driven by.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts