Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed a lot more people changing their font color, size and type. It's hard on the eyes depending on the color and type, definitely annoying when the font's huge or tiny, and hard to read on a mobile device. I don't know whether there should be rules against changing an entire post's font color, or whether the ability to change the font should be taken away entirely, or whether there should be some kind of "do not view font effects" option for those of us who don't want to see crazy fonts... but can something please be done?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Yes, report the post.

From our forum rules...
Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". Users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or colored text, etc. Similarly, users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts. Users consistently abusing this will be warned.

·
Registered
262 Posts
With all due respect, while I understood completely once it was explained to me about people using cell phones and such to read forums and it being harder to read certain text...I think there comes a point in this forum where the nit picking on people's posts gets a bit old. Especially newer members like myself who are atleast trying to make themselves a place here. I've belonged to more forums over the years than I could count now, and this is the first and only one where I've seen so many complaints on what font is used or how it's written or what color it is. If it's that big of an issue, than maybe something SHOULD be done to get rid of the option to choose font/color altogether. Atleast that way the poor people who dare to try something besides Verdana won't feel like a total tool for doing so. JMO and I'm sure I'll get flak for it, but it seems everyone else around here is entitled to one, and I'm sharing my own. I dont' know if it's even possible to change that feature of a forum but it might help. Anything's better than making newer members feel uncomfortable everytime they hit reply.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Jenn, I think the post was more due to another person who insisted on posting in bright pink instead of the normal black even after she was asked yesterday. It's ok to use other font colors or styles for emphasis or to distinguish something (I do it) just not to post full responses in them.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
(....) or whether there should be some kind of "do not view font effects" option for those of us who don't want to see crazy fonts... but can something please be done?
** dons 'Secret Agent DoubleDog Seven Monochromatic Font-Colour-Conversion Ocular Regenerator Glasses' **

There. I'm good to go. Throw all the hot pink font you want at me. :whoo:

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I AGREE. It annoys the crud outta me!
This is priceless! Way to go LM!!!! :becky:

** dons 'Secret Agent DoubleDog Seven Monochromatic Font-Colour-Conversion Ocular Regenerator Glasses' **

There. I'm good to go. Throw all the hot pink font you want at me. :whoo:
You need to send all members a pair! :rockon:

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jenn, I started this thread because I've been seeing a lot of colored text around lately, not because of any one person. :) I also don't mind when people use color for emphasis or section headers or anything else like that -- it only annoys me when an entire post is in bright purple or something.

I've also been posting on forums for about 12 years now, and I've found that on most of them, people frown on entire posts in different colors/fonts. I've always felt that it's not too hard to gauge the general opinion on stuff like that if you lurk for a little while before posting -- when I joined up here, I never even thought about changing my font, because nobody else seemed to.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I tried it once because my posts always seem to get skipped, like I will ask a question and 10 posts later it still isn't answered. I think it is because I don't have a picture in my signature or an avatar and they are easy to miss accidentally. Or maybe people just don't like me and are ignoring me on purpose. :p I didn't realize it would annoy people so much, but on the plus side, my post DID get noticed... As we say in the dog world, it was a rewarding behavior... :D I wont do it again.. Promise.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I tried it once because my posts always seem to get skipped, like I will ask a question and 10 posts later it still isn't answered. I think it is because I don't have a picture in my signature or an avatar and they are easy to miss accidentally. Or maybe people just don't like me and are ignoring me on purpose. :p I didn't realize it would annoy people so much, but on the plus side, my post DID get noticed... As we say in the dog world, it was a rewarding behavior... :D I wont do it again.. Promise.
This should tell you something...like...put up an avatar and a picture in your signature. There, problem solved! :becky:

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Dont ever take that personally here. It's a busy place! I told someone I know to come here and when nobody responded to her introduction, she got all butt-hurt and wouldnt come back. I never even saw it.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Yeah, that what the smiley meant :)P) I know know one is ignoring me.

LOL I have only heard one other person use the term "butt-hurt" are you a native Nebraskan? Haha. (sorry, it struck me for some reason)
LOL! I dont know where I got 'butt-hurt' from. I've been saying that for years :) No, I'm from California. Lived in Wisconsin for several years as a kid and moved back here to Calif when I was a teenager. Maybe I'm a Nebraskan at heart. I've always wanted to live out in rural farm country.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
LOL! I dont know where I got 'butt-hurt' from. I've been saying that for years :) No, I'm from California. Lived in Wisconsin for several years as a kid and moved back here to Calif when I was a teenager. Maybe I'm a Nebraskan at heart. I've always wanted to live out in rural farm country.
Haha, rural farm country does have its down sides, like its 75 miles from the house to the nearest "big" city or even another city with a grocery store, and sometimes our local grocery store runs out of milk... We have days where I swear I'm running on a calcium deficiency. Lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts