Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were just finishing dinner and the dogs were outside, when all three started freaking out barking. I went to the window in the back of the dog run and told them 'enough' and they settled. A few minutes later, same thing. A third time I went out the front door and saw a woman walking a beagle on a flexi, the beagle putting peemail on the neighbor's HOUSE - which explains why my guys were freaking out. Their run is 20 feet at least off the sidewalk, solid (almost) fence and we have a hedge, but I'm guessing the beagle got close enough for them to get really annoyed (they were making the 'there's a dog right there' ruckus). Again told them to knock it off and the beagle lady looked at me like I had an issue.....

Then a FOURTH time with the beagle going past, this time I just caught them going up the street but I'm guessing he'd been up to the fence AGAIN.

I have no idea what this lady is doing but I'm tempted to sit there with the hose and attempt to soak her if she keeps it up... or ask if she's lost, or if she'd like directions to the park behind the house.......

I could see if she was training but she doesn't seem to be doing anything but walking past the house over and over, allowing her dog up on everyone's lawns.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd pop out to the letterbox just as she's about to go past, then pat the dog and strike up a conversation - you might learn more that way. Lets hope there's an innocent explanation.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL just venting! I would say something nicely first before ever doing a hose and even then I don't think I'd stoop that low. Might put the sprinkler on the affected area and leave it on but....

Dogs are in for the night anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue, unless she's back tomorrow. Didn't recognize her or the dog so maybe she's just visiting someone... The new neighbors dog is now approved by my guys though, so when he's out there's no barking. The last time they were that worked up the lady across the park had her gsd out and he decided to go into the neighbor's yard and fence fight...

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you and your neighbours invest in a bag of really fresh cow poo and you spread that on the areas this dog likes to mark, I guarantee she will not let the dog near you again. The little fella will think he is in perfume heaven and roll in every patch he finds, plus you get to fertilize your lawn/hedge/flower bed.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah I would see if there is an explanation, then if she had an 'entitled' attitude then I'd be polite to her face, but the. Have the hose ready (with a high pressure nozzle on) lol.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd strike up a conversation. Dog owners usually like to talk about their dogs. Compliment her dog, then talk about yours. Mention how a dog right at the fence riles then up. Mention the nearby park.

Maybe she's scared to walk far from her house or is physically unable to. Maybe she's a jerk. I like to assume good will unless proven otherwise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We live next door to a dance studio -- we both have privacy fences. A woman who I believe is the owner has a cocker spaniel that sits on their side of the fence and barks its head off at my dogs and my kid every times she brings it over. When my dogs start barking back, I correct them. The cocker, however, never stops. I know it's obnoxious and I definitely make him cut it out, but eventually my kid will get in the action bark back at the dog. The owner *never* calls her dog or asks it to stop barking. And I've seen her give me that look that means, "Well, if you didn't HAVE dogs (or a kid), this wouldn't be happening." And then we have to stop playing and go inside.

*I meant to add that this was a response to the OP saying that the lady looked at her like she had an issue.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
im glad i dont live in the city anymore, but the ranch where we finish breaking the race horses (the one that has a track & a starting gate) is in a suburban area off a busy street, my dogs cant be 'loose' there (we build a yard for them when we are there). Here in Industry this ranch is 300 acres with no one for miles so they can be 'loose' here. Except Josefina, she has a tendency to wonder, so we have a yard for her when we arent out with her. Buddy isnt a wonderer persay. he'll go off to potty but he'll come back.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
hose sounds like a good idea to me! lol... that would be CLASSIC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts