Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped Sadie off at the groomer we usually use, and she's always just gotten a bath & brush & nail trim. This time I asked them to also trim her paw pads for me.

I picked her up and when I got home I noticed they'd trimmed around her butt! There is a little circle around her butt where the hair is like 1" and then it suddenly goes out to her 4" long pants. It looks stupid!

Then my DH pointed out they also did her sanitary area (that I don't mind) and it looks like they cut her hair on her sides, to make her more even - which I don't want her ever cut! I even took the time to carefully brush out the little mat I found under her leg so they wouldn't be tempted to cut anything!

Argh. Her butt looks ridiculous. I have to take her to work tomorrow and everyone is going to ask Why I shaved her butt. It's way too obvious for a dog with a tail that curls over their back.

*headdesk*

I can't wait to call them tomorrow and find out what they were thinking!
Why would you shave a little ring around the dog's butt?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The reason is for cleanliness. Long haired dogs often get poop stuck in their fur. Or develop matts around the anus making it difficult to deficate.

The reason they did it when you didn't ask for it and had never had it done before.....?? I really can't answer that! Sounds like a whoopsie to me! They probably thought they were being extra dilligant and doing a nice thing for you and your pet.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand why they'd do it, but not why they'd do it when I've said before the only thing I want cut is her paw pads. And why they'd do it so obviously. If they did it and it faded out into the long hair it wouldn't be noticable, but it's her little butthole, a ring of short hair, and the long hair.

I just got back, and she said they must have just used too short a blade.

If she'd HAD mats or poop stuck there, I'd understand, but she very rarely gets poop on that fur and when she does I just wet it and brush it out. I asked because I always brush out any mats as soon as I find them, and she's only ever had 4, two behind her ears and two under her legs, which basically taught me where I need to brush more.

They said they didn't cut the hair on her sides, which I didn't think they did but DH does. I think she was just shedding a lot and they got the uneven hairs out.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Aw, it'll grow back. I've grabbed the wrong blade before, or done something I am supposed to do on one dog to another (such as clipping or not clipping a sanitary patch around the rear end). Groomers are hooman, too. I'll bet Sadie doesn't even notice the difference. And if she is shedding, it's very possible that could explain the difference in coat length on her sides. :) Remember: To err is hooman, to forgive is canine!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I know it was a mistake, and we'll still go there, but it is a little frustrating. Cause she looks silly. :)

I hope it grows out fast! :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My father took his one long-haired dog to the groomers, and boy did they butcher her up!

My father asked to have her shaved, except for her head, and her tail...

Well... They did just that! What makes it worse is she came home and looked like a bobble-head! They didn't thin the hair from the neck to her head, it just stopped, like she was wearing a helmet or something!! The same with her tail, the hair didn't fade at all! lol!

Sometimes... "Why I oughta!" lol!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My father took his one long-haired dog to the groomers, and boy did they butcher her up!

My father asked to have her shaved, except for her head, and her tail...

Well... They did just that! What makes it worse is she came home and looked like a bobble-head! They didn't thin the hair from the neck to her head, it just stopped, like she was wearing a helmet or something!! The same with her tail, the hair didn't fade at all! lol!

Sometimes... "Why I oughta!" lol!
If thats what your father asked for "shave all but head and tail" it sounds like he got exactly what he asked for. The biggest problem with pet owners being upset with the groom is COMMUNICATION! The groomer should have asked more questions and forced the pet owner to be more specific. I very rarely have a pet owner come in and correctly explain what they are wanting. I have to pull it out of them. I always ask a ton of questions when a new client comes in, or when an owner wants to change a hairstyle. Pet owners have different ideas of what they are picturing in their heads than groomers do. And if a dog is shaved, and the head is left very long...its very hard to "blend" that in...I tell owners that, and prefer to do a proportioned size head..but alas...some owners WANT that bobblehead look...:(

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Here's what she usually looks like:

But when she came home that one time, her fur was so short, and like I said, she looked like a "bobble-head". lol! It was hard not to laugh.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Awww...poor Sadie...I hope she's not too embarassed tomorrow at work...;) That fur will grow back...With Long coats like her I am so careful to double check which blade is on my clipper, and I make sure to blend, blend, blend the line in!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sometimes groom some of my parents' friends' dogs and one of my biggest pet peeves is when they say, "just do what you think will look good," and then complain when they don't like it!! You would be surprised how much that happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts