Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else see some sort of connection between animals and music?

Dogs seem to enjoy certain types of music and to listen nearby. What kind of music does your dog like?

Maggie constantly sits by the piano. When I decide to play piano (been playing for more than 10 years) and I start playing, Maggie slowly walks over and plops herself right under the piano almost on top of my feet. It's like she wants to get as close to the music as possible. She usually sleeps on my feet, making it hard to use the pedal, but I don't complain. She becomes a dead log and I feel so bad to move her!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Lol, I DEFINITELY think there is a connection with birds and music. My Green Cheeked Conure loves to dance around to music, and once in a great while you can hear him try to imitate the pitches of the song. Makes sense, since birds seem to be very sound oriented, right?

With Basil, I haven't really noticed much of a connection. Aside from maybe lulling him to sleep. My boyfriend and I take Basil on a LOT of car rides, and when we play the radio he typically conks out like he's drugged XD He's usually really mellow during car rides, though (Well, actually he's mellow ALL the time!)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
My dogs can't stand when I play guitar. Which makes sense, they're skittish about anyone holding any thing strange. Or I'm really, really bad.

I believe they love Kelly Clarkson. But again, that is probably because I dance around like a psycho when I clean the house and that gets them all excited.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I find that very interesting because my love for all kinds of music, I am not a musician, but I buy alot of music. My female really gives no indication, and generally leaves the room. I do not play very loud, I know how sensitive dog's ears are and so are mine.

But my male dog will come running if in another room to listen and then fall asleep. Any Canadians out there I just got a new CD by the Canadian Brass, and they are unbeatable, sounds like they are in the room. Three demensional sound, that really makes my male dog "Doc" look around to figure where the sound is coming from lol

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think some dogs definitely are sensitive to music! In my experience, Willow could care less about music - she's too easily distracted to really listen, I think. ;) Bandit, on the other hand, LOVES music and will tilt his head endlessly if I play any kind of musical instrument.

The two wolfdogs I've known, Yuki and now Jasper, have both been even more attuned to music than my dogs. I guess that makes sense considering their howling "language"? They both would stop and listen intently to music if I played a CD for them. It was more than just head-tilting, it was full concentration (sometimes with a little singing of their own added!).

I also have a cat that LOVES music. She will try to meow along with me when I'm whistling, and certain songs really catch her attention. Interestingly, she's the most vocal of my cats, so I think there is a connection.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think animals can be sensitive to music :) Lucy could care less it seems, but we keep a radio going in our barn for the horses and they seem to enjoy calming country music. My hubby used to work on a pig farm and they played music in the barns and he swore they'd swish their tails to the beat LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts