Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I actually requested they trim an inch off her coat and they shaved her down to the bare skin. When I went to pick up my Eskie, the owner Joyce stated she tried to use a 5 blade (in lieu of scissors) and kept getting streaks. The owner of Animal Palace had the nerve to say she thought it looked better with a lion cut. She should never have made that decision without contacting me. I am in complete shock and disappointment. How long will it take to grow back? Also, will it grow back as beautiful as it was? She is only 2 years old and I am so sad.... Please let me know.. Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, sorry this happened, but you really shouldn't be cutting back the overall coat of a double coated dog. Hard to say if it will come back as before. The longer guard hairs (which is what would have been cut off if the groomer only took off an inch)take a considerable about of time to grow back in relation to the shorter undercoat.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It may take up to a full year for the guard hairs to catch up with the under coat, sorry to say :( That is unbelievable what they did! I am a groomer by trade (stay at home mom now), and I ALWAYS call before making such a decision.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This is why I always have the groomer write DO NOT SHAVE in sharpie on all of our paperwork. I can't believe they did that! Make sure you keep up with regular brushing while the fur grows back to keep the undercoat from getting tangled and matted. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry for the experience, I would definitely not give them a second chance there is no reason to shave unless the dog is a severe matting or someone messed up. In you case it was most certainly the latter. Did you pay them? From what you wrote that did not seem to care that they messed up the dogs coat for almost a year. The next groomer you should tell them Never Shave like Effisia pointed out, I do that with my cockers and even tell them what blade I want used before they touch my dog.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
As you are waiting for his hair to grow back, google how to groom american eskimos to learn which brushes and combs work best.

Me, personally, this is how I would do it (after years of experience with several coat types). First you prepare the area you will brush by spritzing a light mist over the coat. Use a leave in conditioner, something like Davis Ruff Out or similar. Brush through with a slicker brush on the shorter areas (back, belly). Use a Chris Christensen T brush to get the long hair on his rear, ruff of the neck, and tail. This brush is spendy, but it really gets the tangles out. Follow through the entire dog with a greyhound comb. Be sure you are getting all the way to the skin. Spritz, brush, comb- all the way around the dog. Do this every other day once he's back in full coat.

And yes, absolutely make the groomer write DO NOT SHAVE in bright red letters with your phone number just in case there is ANY doubt at all what to do with his hair.

Make sure you say something like "I only want the fringe of his rear end and back of front legs trimmed up an inch" then point- here and here is what I want, NOTHING else.

Hope this helps :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would take legal action to be honest. Or I would try. I'm so mad that I want to take legal action for you and it's even my dog. lol

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
OP I would be FURIOUS if that happened to Snowball. Absolutely livid. I would also consider legal action, but I don't know if there's anything you can do unless he's like, a champion show dog or something (in which case shaving his coat has completely destroyed his show career).

Well, sorry this happened, but you really shouldn't be cutting back the overall coat of a double coated dog. Hard to say if it will come back as before. The longer guard hairs (which is what would have been cut off if the groomer only took off an inch)take a considerable about of time to grow back in relation to the shorter undercoat.
Trims for double coated dogs are normal.... When Snowball goes for a groom (at a salon where both of the owners own multiple eskies), he always gets a trim, especially his rough/mane, pants, and tail. IMO there is such a thing as too much coat, and Snowball's mane is so long/thick that it sometimes gets in his way when doing things like drinking water or licking his front legs.

It may take up to a full year for the guard hairs to catch up with the under coat, sorry to say :( That is unbelievable what they did! I am a groomer by trade (stay at home mom now), and I ALWAYS call before making such a decision.
It takes longer than a year, and in some cases it doesn't grow back properly at all. When we first got Snowball, I cut out a few knots that were on his tail. It has been 2.5 years and ~6 full grooms/trims and I can still clearly see the chunks in his tail where I cut the knots out (although it has gotten less noticable over time). My groomer's eskie was shaved by the rescue who ended up adopting her out; it completely ruined her coat and she doesn't grow any guard hair at all now. She's still really cute - just not fluffy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your response... I always get the outer hair trimmed an inch. I have never ever gone shorter and it has always been beautiful... I don't know why the owner Joyce made such a bad decision. My Bella was so beautiful. I pray that her hair grows back healthy. I would never let Joyce from Animal Palace go near my dog or any animal for that matter. Clearly, she does not what she's doing. Joyce's daughter Alexi (who is Miss Florida) made sure to comment on one of my posts stating that it was only a hair cut and to stop writing complaints because its stressing her mother out. Wow! I responded to her to have her mother shave her hair bald and see how many pageants she will win. What does she think she did to my dog and my family? My dog is depressed and shivering. I hate that this happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I could take legal action. I began doing photo shoots with my Bella last year. I entered her into her first photo contest, and it was great. Her coat was really beautiful. I am sickened this happened. I don't know what I can do. Just cuddle my Bella, keep her warm and try to keep her from ever getting sunburned here in South Florida.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for all your responses. I have been so upset. I complained on ripoff.com, yelps, Facebook, google, yahoo... I plan on complaining to the BBB and see where else. If you have any ideas of what else I can do, please feel free to let me know. Four dogs... I will take your advice and figure out what brushes to use while her coat grows out. I pray to God that it grows as healthy as before. She is such a beautiful Eskie. I really appreciate all your info about grooming. I truly want to thank all of you for your posts and support. I have been so depressed over this. I can not change it, so I need to make sure I never make the wrong choice by choosing such a horrible groomer like Joyce at Animal Palace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ginger Kid.... Wow... thanks for helping me out so much with your response. My Bella gets so long and since she's only 8 pounds, she begins looking puffy. I put my trust in the wrong person "Joyce from Animal Palace!" It will never happen again. I learned a horrible lesson. My faith has to go in a groomer that actually takes care of Huskies!! Thanks again for your support. Your awesome! Also, thanks for the great feedback... I have to believe it will grow back fluffy and full....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
This is why I always have the groomer write DO NOT SHAVE in sharpie on all of our paperwork. I can't believe they did that! Make sure you keep up with regular brushing while the fur grows back to keep the undercoat from getting tangled and matted. Unbelievable.
Good idea. Using that.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I hate to say it, because there's always hope. But my best friends family had an Eskie. She was trimmed by a groomer every year before summer. And then one year, someone messed up and shaved her. Unfortunately, her fluffy never grew back. She was still a lovely dog. But her hair was forever scraggly and kind of greasy. Keep in mind though, she was probably about ten years old when this happened.

Here's a good summary of what happens when you shave a dog. It's from an older thread:

It's shaving that's the big issue. Long ago someone gave me a great analogy as to why this happens. Basically the coat on a double coated dog is like a mature forest. If you chopped that forest down to the ground it would take decades for it to return to normal. Guard hairs are like the tall slower growing trees.and the undercoat is new growth and small brush. Naturally the new growth grows very quick and rejuvenates itself more frequently than the old mature growth. Those old mature trees help to block out the sun so that new growth doesn't get out of control. When a new "forest" gets replanted there's nothing to block out the sun and keep the new growth in check, so it grows out of control and will eventually get so thick that it prevents the taller slower growing tree varieties from developing.
http://www.dogforums.com/dog-grooming-forum/340761-groomers-question-pomeranian-haircuts.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh my goodness!!! Is there any hope to my Bella's hair growing back with both coats without issues? Does anyone have a Eskie that grew back? I would love to know what happened to the Eskie....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Oh my goodness!!! Is there any hope to my Bella's hair growing back with both coats without issues? Does anyone have a Eskie that grew back? I would love to know what happened to the Eskie....
She died of a mix of old age and diabetes a few years back. She was a very happy dog up until the end though.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Funny thing that I did not realize that we are close to each other, I would take legal action for sure, I am putting her on my black list too will tell my friends not to go there as how she acted is not something I would like to see in a groomer. Did you pay her?? I only ask because some places act that if you pay then you must have been ok with it. I know that it can affect the coat, I have had many breeds and the cockers don't do well when you shave the legs I had one that the hair was never full on the paws because he had to be shaved at the shelter, it sucked because he had nice full hair like a cocker should, but the owner was not keeping him up and then dumped him. I really pray that does not happen with your Eskie though

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
FWIW, I have seen many of these breeds grow back perfectly fine coat after being shaved a single time either on purpose, accidentally by someone who didn't know any better, or for surgeries. It's not a slam-dunk that her coat is ruined forever and ever.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
FWIW, I have seen many of these breeds grow back perfectly fine coat after being shaved a single time either on purpose, accidentally by someone who didn't know any better, or for surgeries. It's not a slam-dunk that her coat is ruined forever and ever.
Totally true. There are plenty of Newf owners who apparently shave their dogs down every summer and claim it grows back just fine. If you make sure to take good care of the coat while it's growing back in, there really is every possibility that it will be fine! Just do what you can to maximize healthy growth and keep it growing in neat and tidy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My mother in law was getting her 5 year old golden retriever a bath and her nails cut for the first time which was $65.. So, I handed the owner a $100 and she said she would give me a discount of $10 to make my dog $45. She said you owe me $10. I said are you kidding me, she said $35 is enough. I had to walk out or I was going to smack her. I was so mad, I had to leave! I have never in my life been this pissed off! So, I did the right thing and walked out before anything happened. I was in SHOCK!
She died of a mix of old age and diabetes a few years back. She was a very happy dog up until the end though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts