Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's bird-nesting season here in the mid-Atlantic region, and apparently nesting birds really hate my dog. Last weekend we were innocently walking on an urban residential block when all of a sudden a bluejay-sized bird started divebombing at Biscuit! Mama bird (I'm assuming it was a mama) kept divebombing angrily for the entire block. She was definitely going for Biscuit, not for me.

And then, it happened again this morning! Different bird, different location, same thing! This time the bird swooped down and actually hit Biscuit's tail as she was sniffing around the base of a tree. We took that as our cue to depart!

I assume these are nesting birds protecting their nests, but this is so weird. I've never had this happen with other dogs! Maybe the birds are thinking Biscuit looks like a marauding fox? I think the only thing to do is wait it out, but in the meantime I thought I would complain about it on Dogforums. Has anyone's dog been getting divebombed by angry birds lately?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, could be. The one yesterday looked like a bluejay, but I didn't get such a good look at it.

These birds are creeping me out.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Bluejays are satan's messengers -.-' Lol

I have never met a bluejay that couldn't just leave stuff alone. I'm starting to think they take pleasure in being rude.

There's a small tree-hedge like thing in my yard that Diesel likes to lay under. I have taken to chasing bluejays off before they even manage to lay a squawk out, because after they're done chasing off all my chickadees and finches, they'll go for my dog next. We toss bread to the little birds and Diesel will sit and eat it too, right alongside them. The birds and the dogs (even aleu) can sit and eat from the same bowl, right next to each other, and there's never a problem. Until a bluejay shows up. .-.
Seems like 'jay's have attitude problems.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have Magpies her in Aus that do that. But they are more aggressive and attack humans as well. A kid lost an eye last season. Funny to see cyclists riding with electrical zip ties sticking 12 inches out the top and sides of their helmets to keep the birds off. If you walk through a park where there is a nest or two, you have to carry a stick over your shoulder. They are wise and don't come to near then.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good lord. You would think by August this problem would have gone away, but no! This city is infested with mockingbirds that all seem to have it out for my dog. On Sunday we were attacked by two different nesting pairs outside the building where our agility class is held. The kid at the desk (it's also a boarding facility and doggy daycare) said no one else has complained about being attacked, but confirmed that there was a nest in their roof.

This was the 10th attack since May, by 5 different birds in 10 different locations. This is ridiculous! At this point, Biscuit knows the drill and if she hears the telltale squawk of an angry mockingbird, she will sit down, look at me, and refuse to walk any further. And then I see the birds a-swooping and we take off running in the opposite direction.

The internet tells me there's nothing to be done...but do any of you have any suggestions? Squirt gun? Disguise for my dog?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
There are probably solutions - squirt gun, catcher's mitt, shrimp net, air horn, Harper Lee, elephant gun ... but there may also be the chance of scaring the birds away from the nest...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was a kid, and I recall the idea being that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird because they don't hurt anyone, but only sing pretty songs.

False.

Here is a mockup of my dog's new disguise. These birds will be totally fooled.

disguise by Hamandeggs23, on Flickr

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm pretty sure he needs a hat, too. :)

I read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was a kid, and I recall the idea being that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird because they don't hurt anyone, but only sing pretty songs.

False.

Here is a mockup of my dog's new disguise. These birds will be totally fooled.

disguise by Hamandeggs23, on Flickr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.