Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pepper has a double tooth. The vet recently confirmed that it is not a baby tooth, but that she has two adult teeth. She has already been spayed and has no reason other than possibly a teeth cleaning to be "put under".

Her teeth have been brushed since then and look a little better.

But anyways, the vet was saying that teeth cleanings are generally done yearly, but Pepper is less than year old. I was wondering if we should try to schedule it soon. I'm not sure when most dogs have this done first. I was going to wait a while, but after brushing her teeth I realize how hard it will to keep the area clean, and even if it stays clean I worry about having complications.
I am still very worried about anesthesia though. The thought of her possibly dying because of an extra tooth has me freaked out.
And on yet another side note I was wonder if she should have her dew claw removed at the same time. Is there any reason to keep the dew claw, or any specific reason to remove them?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The newer anesthetics are very safe. Try to find a vet that uses the newer drugs, and some pre-surgical bloodwork might help you to feel more secure, too. I don't know if I'd do it now....I'd probably wait for another year or so, when a dental would do more good. That is, if your vet thinks the double tooth won't cause any problems before then.

As for dewclaws, I prefer not to remove them unless she's had trouble with them in the past. Removing them can be painful and very annoying for the dog. They tend to chew and pick at the incisions when it is done.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm not sure about the tooth but we just had Bayne's rear dew claws done when he was neutered. Are you thinking about front or rear dew claws? If it's the rear ones and they are really flappy, then I would get them done. If it's the front ones, I wouldn't bother imo.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of the rear ones, and they are floppy.

The vet seemed a little confusing about the cleaning. She told us that if her teeth are cleaned well that it shouldn't have a problem till a year or so from now. But that makes me wonder if there might be some problems in the time till then. I pretty much have to floss the area, which I worry about because even brushing doesn't do much. I'm guessing some raw meat with bone would help with that a little?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd just get the pre-surgery blood workup done, then have the tooth removed. Having the bloodwork on file will give you a good baseline reference for her if she ever got sick in the future.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I was thinking of the rear ones, and they are floppy.
Ya, I'd go for it then. I didn't want to take the chance that my guy would tear one.Bayne did really good with having his removed and he was/is just over a year old. He rarely tried to chew the bandages and we managed to keep them on for a week. After that we removed them and he was fine. He got all his stitches out on day 11 and it's been about a month since then. His fur is growing back nicely and you can barely even see where they were now.

If you are gonna wait for the tooth, then wait to get the dew claws done. Just get it all done at the same time. Go for the pre blood work too.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If she had the blood workup done for the spay, and it hasn't been more than a yr, and you haven't had any health problems, then you can probably skip doing the blood work again. She should be fine. Just do the dew claws and teeth at the same time.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Since she is young her blood work is probably still good, ask your vet. I don't like dew claws they can cause lots of problems. If it were me I would have the dew claws and the tooth or teeth removed at the same time. Makes it a lot easier on the dog when put under anesthesia once instead of multiple times. I wouldn't rush the procedure(s) unless there is a problem.

I have dentals done on my dogs/cats when needed, not just an automatic once a year procedure. Each animal is different, some require dentals more often, others may never need it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay. I was planning on doing them at the same time, but I wasn't sure if I should ask the vet about removing the back dew claws at all.

I would have it done fairly soon (to get it over with), but she is currently a little sick, and that would be impossible right now. I want to have it done relatively soon because I am worried that the more I wait the more chance of something bad going on there. As mentioned it is very hard to clean in that small space and I don't want her to have to have both teeth removed.

We'll probably put her E-collar on again if she gets her back dew claws removed. And of course I'll discuss this all with my vet later.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Re the dew claws, I looked at it this way......

Looking at the bigger picture, 14 days out of a possible 15+ years of life is not very much. I say 14 days b/c my vet removes the sutures at this time, some vets do it sooner. They did fine with the E-collars. The legs healed nicely and you can't even see the scars. I'm sure she will do just fine.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
>>The newer anesthetics are very safe.<<
Not really. Propofol, sevoflurane, medetomidine, and dexmedetomidine are the only drugs that are used a lot and have appeared in the last ten years. They aren't any safer than most of the drugs that have been around for 20 years. They only give us more options when choosing drugs for anesthesia.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My dog had the exact same tooth thing (she had it on both sides but her previous owners...who we rescued her from...pulled the other side out with a plier, no wonder she was head shy..) I got her at age 4, and she seemed to have no problems.. we were just careful to clean around it really well. At five she stepped on the window button in the car while her nose was out the window and pinched her muzzle in the closing window, that broke the gum a tiny bit and i guess it provided bacteria with an opportunity to get in, we noticed some redness and inflammation around that tooth and decided to have it removed.
The root was really wonky and went up and over which made the tooth difficult to remove (this problem was problem unique to just her...)
Anyways, she lived with her tooth like that with no problems for five years... I would just wait and see if it has any kind of negative impact on the dog before I did the surgery...
That being said, if the dew claws need to be done, may as well do it all in one shot, but the tooth itself should not be anything to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts