Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
J was at the vet this morning, was to get her teeth clean, they had to remove a tooth and then found a tic tac size tumor so she was under longer then expected. She was still out at 4 pm when I picked her up to need to carry her to the truck. She was struggling but still able to respond to my voice and hear me. It's now 6:30 pm and she is still out of it.. had her get up to go out to walk it off and she was able to walk disorientated, but knew what direction the house was in and able to leap up on the deck to come back inside. gone back to sleep I think that is good (right)

not use to it taking this long. she is not drinking on her own so I am getting enough water in her mouth to keep it from drying out.'

Is there a time limit I should keep in mind if she still hasn't recovered?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
When did surgery actually end?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I wouldn't worry overly much, then. When I pick my dogs up the same day as a procedure, they're pretty much out of it until the next morning - even if they were done 4-5-6 hours before I picked them up. Not out cold or anything but disoriented and sleepy. Keep an eye on her, for sure, and if you have more concerns contact the vet, but I wouldn't worry if it takes her unti ltomorrow morning to be back in her head.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My big dog's been under 3x and he remains groggy for the rest of the day. He'll poop and pee, but doesn't really have an appetite so I don't feed him. He won't drink water either so I have to stuff him ice cubes.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It all depends on what they gave your dog and how your dog responds to the drugs used. Acepromazine is a drug often used on dogs and it can last for quite awhile. I would not be too worried about it as long as your are able to rouse your dog. If you are not able to arouse your dog and your dog is not able to get up and move about than I would be concerned. Also, checking the color of the tongue/gum color is good. If the color of the gums are nice and pink that is good. Press your finger against the gums and release your finger. If the color returns right away to the spot that is good, if does not that could cause some worry for me. Just be sure you are not pulling up the lips too tight when you are doing this.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks :) I'm mostly use to the injections only where the revive shot brings them out .. I know for today they used the gas with her. Main thing I have been watching is her having a grayish blueish color on her tongue (not really bad) but enough that I didn't like it. It's back pink now , she's gaining coordination has awareness where the water is to stop and try to drink, tongue still not completely working but she had a liquid mush meal to get a good amount of moisture in her using Pedylite . Still really out but comfortable. All looks good..

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she's herself this morning :), . Vet said her gums and teeth will be really sore to feed her meals in liquid form for a couple of days no problem being hungry this morning. She's a little Beasty trouble maker for such a tiny thing lol .. I would be lost without her... <3

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
This is good to read. I am glad all is back to normal or at least what is considered 'normal' for your dog. It is scary to see our dogs like this. You might want to mention that your dog had a hard time recovering from this and maybe next time they can use something else or maybe a little less than what they used.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, talk to the vet this morning and so hoping we can stay on top of her teeth that we don't need such a sever intervention.... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts