Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know Ida and Snowball (the Floofs)... Last winter I pulled Ida out of classes because her anxiety in the car had gotten to the point where she just had to be sitting in the car, engine off, parked in the garage, and she would start shaking. It was really hard for me lose my only source of face-to-face interaction with other dog people. I did some classes with Snowball, but at 13 (then), I knew his ability to continue in classes would be limited - it was time to start looking for another dog.

I also knew that I wanted a puppy to maximize Snowball's tolerance of adding another dog, and, as much as I loved dogs that I met while working at the shelter, that I couldn't handle the heartbreak of another dog with problems the magnitude of Ida's. So I started looking at breeders.

In the spring, I heard about a repeat pairing that produced a dog crush of mine and decided to put myself on the list ... a week or two later I found out that one of my first IRL dog friends also (and independently) put her name on the list, which was kind of exciting for me. - how fun, someone to go through this with me!

We waited with bated breath, first to see if the breeding took (it did), then to find out where we were in the list (7th & 8th), then to see how many puppies there would be.... and on November 1st, a litter of two lovely girls was whelped. Some how, I have no idea how, most of the people on the wait list dropped out (did they all want boys? bigger puppies? I have no idea), and suddenly my friend and I were 3 & 4 in line, behind one person and the breeder. The breeder decided not to keep a puppy (she has 3 puppies under a year old
right now) and she decided not to sell to the #1 person.

Which meant that my friend and I got the only two puppies in the litter. They flew together in the same kennel, and arrived in Alberta from sunny Texas on one of the coldest days of the winter, sleepy and covered in pee (not unexpected, after a 5 hour flight), but otherwise in good spirits.

Okay, well, except for the needing a bath from all the aforementioned pee.

She's settled in really well. Ida took to her right away, excited to (finally!) have a playmate.

Snowball was not quite as convinced about the benefits of a puppy. (He's since come to tolerate her presence).

After two weeks without a name, we settled on Tessa (nothing like filling out a puppy class registration form to put the pressure on). At 6 lbs and 14 weeks, she is smart, sassy, cute, and cuddly, and kind of a spaz right now, but with flashes of brilliance. I plan to do rally obedience and agility with her, but we'll see where else we end up. :)

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Wow, WHAT a story! I am so glad you and your friend had this serendipitous result! SO excited for you. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Wow you and your friend sure lucked out! Sounds like it was meant to be. :)

She is a cutie!! I hope that you and her have lots of fun doing all the dog sports. Congrats!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Puppy!!! So exciting for you! I’d say stop by Atlas’ and I’s rally class, but he’d scare the poop out of her, I’m sure. :p

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Puppy!!! So exciting for you! I’d say stop by Atlas’ and I’s rally class, but he’d scare the poop out of her, I’m sure. :p
She's not sure about the big dogs yet, although she did meet Samson (and Rachel) on the weekend and adored him (but who doesn't).

I'm sure you'll see us around though!

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
She is a purpose-bred border collie/papillon cross.
Oh, cool, that sounds fun! What's the purpose? A more toned-down border collie? I think I read something about that here or somewhere else or something.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, cool, that sounds fun! What's the purpose? A more toned-down border collie? I think I read something about that here or somewhere else or something.
Toned down and also smaller. This specific breeder breeds for stable, active pets that can participate in any activity/sport.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I dunno if Papillons are really toned down from BC. just different. Fable's got a better off switch than my papillons did at this age.

I LOVE Tessa! But you already know that. ;) I'm in love with her older sisters and I came super close to asking to be on this list.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dunno if Papillons are really toned down from BC. just different. Fable's got a better off switch than my papillons did at this age.

I LOVE Tessa! But you already know that. ;) I'm in love with her older sisters and I came super close to asking to be on this list.
Yeah, I do not know that I'd say Tessa has an off-switch. She is either on, eating, or asleep. But she finally seems to have figured out this whole training thing at least, haha.

·
Registered
254 Posts
She's not sure about the big dogs yet, although she did meet Samson (and Rachel) on the weekend and adored him (but who doesn't).

I'm sure you'll see us around though!
I hope so! Puppy cuddles are always needed. :) (And Samson is such a sweetie! Pretty much the opposite of rowdy Atlas, lol. I’m guessing you were at the fun match - Atlas and I would have been there if I’d been in the country at the time, haha.)

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The organizer said she was hoping to put on another one soon - hopefully that means next month!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't for the life of me remember how I taught Ida anything, so I'm just focusing on the socialization stuff for now. I went to the dollar store and bout whatever I thought a dog would find weird or a little bit scary, found some of my husband's old toys (from when he was a baby! the benefits of all of my in-laws stuff remaining in the basement, I guess), and rounded up some random things from around the house. I'm really enjoying building puppy playgrounds in my living room for her to explore. I'm trying to be hands off, letting her explore at her own pace.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Awww, such an endearing and reasonable amount of caution! :D

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awww, such an endearing and reasonable amount of caution! :D
And yet she jumps off the back of the couch with no such hesitation. Might as well be yelling "Geronimo!" as she does it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts