Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guessed Pit Bull? NOPE Your wrong! That honor goes too the English Cocker Spaniel

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/22/cocker-spaniel-aggressive.html

Photo of Cocker Spaniels
Do Looks Deceive? | Discovery News Video

May 22, 2009 -- A floppy-eared, innocent-looking breed may be one of the world's most aggressive dogs, according to a new study that found English cocker spaniels tend to be more hostile than other breeds.

The discovery adds to the mounting evidence that aggressiveness is an inherited characteristic, suggesting that genes and breeding practices can both help determine how a dog will behave.

"In our country and according to our database, the English cocker spaniel is the breed that shows more aggression problems," lead author Marta Amat told Discovery News.

Amat, a researcher in the School of Veterinary Medicine at the Autonomous University of Barcelona, and her colleagues analyzed 1,040 cases of canine aggression brought to a nearby veterinary teaching hospital from 1998 to 2006. Of those cases, the majority of cases were attributed to English cocker spaniels, Rottweilers, Boxers, Yorkshire terriers and German shepherds.

Amat also noted that "inadequate handling by the owners due to their lack of information on dog behavior" is a contributing factor.

Other experts place even more blame on caretakers, suggesting there are no born-to-be-bad dogs, only bad owners.

Joaquin Perez-Guisado of the University of Cordoba led one of the earlier studies on English cocker spaniels and is the lead author of a new Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances study that found poor training by owners predicted aggressive behavior in 711 test subjects from a variety of breeds.

Taking all possible reasons into consideration, he and his team found that 40 percent of dominance aggression in dogs is associated with a lack of authority on the part of owners, who performed no, or minimal, obedience training.

According to Perez-Guisado and his team, "dogs that are trained properly do not normally retain aggressive dominance behavior."

Members of the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America appear to agree. They describe their favorite breed as being "a homebody" that is "typically affectionate, loyal and reserved with strangers."

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Interesting. This kind of stuff bothers me, though, because all it does is challenge the perception of one breed being the "bad" breed, stir people's minds and frame other breeds as aggressive and whatnot. Just passin' the blame from dog to dog..

Amat also noted that "inadequate handling by the owners due to their lack of information on dog behavior" is a contributing factor.

How I wish that made up more than one line of this report. :(

(Gotta admit, though, I thought it was going to be a one-dog kind of thing, like the World's Ugliest Dog competitions.. thought I'd open the thread to an ornery old small dog snarling out of my screen. :eek: )

·
Registered
7,761 Posts

But it does make up more than one line of the report...almost half the report in fact :p

Other experts place even more blame on caretakers, suggesting there are no born-to-be-bad dogs, only bad owners.

Joaquin Perez-Guisado of the University of Cordoba led one of the earlier studies on English cocker spaniels and is the lead author of a new Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances study that found poor training by owners predicted aggressive behavior in 711 test subjects from a variety of breeds.

Taking all possible reasons into consideration, he and his team found that 40 percent of dominance aggression in dogs is associated with a lack of authority on the part of owners, who performed no, or minimal, obedience training.

According to Perez-Guisado and his team, "dogs that are trained properly do not normally retain aggressive dominance behavior."

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Oh crap.. that's what I get for responding at 1:20 AM.. LOL

Still, though, the way they describe the ECS in the opening paragraph is kind of misleading.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Interesting. This kind of stuff bothers me, though, because all it does is challenge the perception of one breed being the "bad" breed, stir people's minds and frame other breeds as aggressive and whatnot. Just passin' the blame from dog to dog..

(Gotta admit, though, I thought it was going to be a one-dog kind of thing, like the World's Ugliest Dog competitions.. thought I'd open the thread to an ornery old small dog snarling out of my screen. :eek: )
Agreed and I thought it was going to show a picture of my neighbors Chocolate Lab. :rolleyes:
I can't even walk outside in my yard without that nasty thing attacking the fence. I love dogs but I have had the urge to throw rocks or something at that stupid dog. I love my neighbors but not their dog. Yes, I know they should be getting the dumb thing away from the fence too. I certainly do not let my dogs attack the fence much less bark at the neighbors.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Don't want to hijack DM's thread. but oh my doG Inga do I know about nasty neighbor dogs.. and they're not "dangerous" breeds either.. how about a dog charging a fence at a baby in a stroller.. nice sight I saw yesterday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I know a lot of people that claim they wouldn't have a cocker spaniel, some of that is due to a bad experience they've had with a family dog, & some is due to the grooming upkeep.
I do have to say we have 2 gorgeous English CSs that come in here regularly for grooming & they're so well behaved, but they have had excellent training from what I understand, & great owners.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I thought I was going to open it up to a pic of my moms chihuahua. He's a rotten thing.

I think this article is well written because it does mention the dogs, but most of it is owner handling. Great job the writer did.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I've owned 3 Cockers (1 was a stray, 1 from a shelter, 1 from a breeder (BYB..I didn't know any better then.). Not one of them had a mean bone in their body. The 2 females were the most loyal dogs ever. The male was loyal to whoever had food. One of the females LOVED kids and would try to drag me over to where any kids were on our walks. I actually had neighbor kids knocking on the door asking if Annie can come out and play! The male Cocker LOVED any other animal...cats, dogs, rabbits, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Brilliant - Hopefully getting my first dog soon in the next few weeks. And it's an english cocker spaniel and golden red and a male!

I am someone who is a bit scared of dogs - especially seeing bigger dogs pulling their owners down the street - scared they will bite me! :eek:

I know they had problems with 'rage syndrome'. And they were overbred in the UK a few years ago - sort of like the cockers here. I am getting it from a reliable breeder so I know if it has any problems it's my fault!

But after watching years of 'dog whisperer' and seeing how quickly he can change an aggressive dog around and that dog ends up going to him - liking him. I have to say I do think most of the time it must be the owners fault.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
You know, I have to say that most of the English Cocker's I have met have been pretty nice dogs. It was the American Cocker's that were showing up in the bite room at the shelter so often. We have a woman who breeds English Cocker's in our kennel club and her dogs are pretty darn nice. If I were in the market for one, I would be going to her.
I just have no interest in a dog that small yet.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I've come across several English Cockers at work and they were really sweet dogs! They are one of my favorite spaniel breeds.

I'm not a big fan of American Cockers. I have nothing against them really, I've just met several nasty ones at work....but also some pretty sweet ones. I guess it goes without saying it's never the breed :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
One of the dogs that bit me was a golden (er...buff?) cocker spaniel. Honestly, it was my fault. I had glasses as a kid, and and I knew the dog had issues with glasses and hats. I thought I knew him pretty well, but he bit me anyway when I tried to pet him.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Mine always talks trash about his English cousin. This will just add fuel to the fire. He's always telling me how his cousin doesn't shave her armpits, has bad teeth and barks with a funny accent. I'd show this article to him, but he'd just say, "told you so."

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
What's the point of "reports" like this?

Why is there such a need to find the "meanest" or "friendliest" dog?

This doesn't help anyone who owns or is interested in a Cocker Spaniel.

I guess I don't see why anyone needs to write or research a report like this. What's it supposed to prove?

And then mentioning that the owner's inabilities are a big factor? Well...YEAH. What dog does this NOT apply to? A stuffed one maybe?

I mean really...:rolleyes:

Dogs are individuals - why do we humans have such a hard time with that concept?

·
Registered
235 Posts
i dont think theres a such thing as a "Bad" dog but sure there are agressive dogs, im just glad this isnt a post claiming pit bulls are "Bad" dogs

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The ENGLISH!? I thought it would go to the AMERICAN!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts