Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been on several different foods and I still haven't found "the one" First he was on authority, then I switched him to NV prairie but he was having skin problems so then we switched to eagle pack holistic but then he was having not very firm poopies so then I switched him to NV Instinct which at first was going ok. Good firm poopies and everything, but now he's got more spots on his skin than he did before and for the past 2 weeks he's had the not so firm kind of loose poopies, and lots of poopies too. So now we're on the hunt again. I'm thinking about switching him to wellness. I called them to get some samples and some coupons, so I'm waiting for those to come in the mail.

How am I supposed to know which flavor of wellness to put him on? Does anyone have any suggestions on which wellness to switch to?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Are the skin issues allergies? If so, I would try to figure out which ingredient is causing him problems and then go from there.

I just finished the switch to EVO for my dog and couldn't be happier as it stands right now. Currently the frequency of his stools are back down and the size difference is amazing! He's only 4 lbs but he was laying down 3 and 4 inch poops (3 and 4 times a day) and now they are like 1 to 1 1/2 inches (twice a day)! I'm hopeful it continues.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the skin issues are due to allergies because he didn't have skin issues when he was on authority or eagle pack, just loose poopies. The skin problem has only shown up when he's been on NV (prairie and instinct) Since I had him on instinct chicken i went ahead and bought a small bag of the wellness chicken that way the transition is with the same meat. He seemed to like it. He actually took time to chew it instead of inhale/half-ass chew so maybe he'll benifit more from actually chewing his food. We'll see how the wellness thing plays out. I don't know what we'll try next if this doesn't work out. I hope it does though....

·
Registered
242 Posts
How often have you been switching his food? It is important to let a food have time to react properly with your dogs own metabolism and digestive system. Meaning that that usually it takes two - three months before you notice real results. Switching their food so often is like reading a false-negative on a test. You're never really going to know how well he does on any formula. Essentially, you could have found the right food for him already and not even know it.

If it is truly a food sensitivity than you should have testing done by the vet, or do a process of elimination diet. A process of elimination diet is where you feed one ingredient at a time for two months and start adding ingredient by ingredient.

If it is a digestion, assimilation issue, try a bland food like California Natural, or Natural Balance, and add a digestive enzyme, like Solid Gold Seameal or Prozyme.

Another option is eliminating high sensitive ingredients such as, Chicken, corn, soy, wheat, lamb, salmon, beef and duck. Try Venison and potato. Natural BAlance makes a Sweet potato and Venison formula, as well as wellness. THe reason for doing this is because a sensitivity to something can arise at any time. Prolonged feeding (two years) of such an ingredient will result in an allergy. Therefor pick ingredients unlikely to be fed by breeders or kennels. Ie, Venison, Salmon, Duck, Kangaroo, Brushtail, Ostrich, etc.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He hasn't been on any food less than 12 weeks. He was on authority for over a year. Then he was on prairie for 6 months then he was on eagle pack for 6 months and he was on instinct for 3 months.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
My guys have been on TOTW and Wellness.......all were on Wellness but it gave my Boston and my APBT really bad bad gas and very smelly poo......so I put them on TOTW and I love it...my pug is doing good on the Wellness but she is on the Weight control formula :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The instict gave my dog bad gas too. One day I came home and I didn't see my dog anywhere so I asked my dad where he was and he said that he had shut him in my room because he was farting really bad and my dad just couldn't take the smell anymore, so he put him in my room to sit in his own fart infestation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts