Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor dog...it's one thing after another lately.

I gave him his monthly Heartguard 3 days ago. Today, it's a festival of worms. His stool was full of it and he even puked one up (didn't see him do it, but I assume from what I saw in the snow bank).

Am I supposed to do anything? I mean, is it just proof the treatment is working and everything will go away in a few days? Or does he need more meds?

·
Registered
482 Posts
The dose of Ivermectin in Heartguard isn't enough to treat an active case of GI worms. Can you get a stool sample to the vet and see what kind of worms they are? Oh...I just read your other thread, there is no vet anywhere near you. If there is nowhere to take a stool sample to, can you compare the worms in the poop to pictures on the web and try to figure out what they are?

For hook/round/pin worms I use this, 1cc per 10lbs of bodyweight, 3 days in a row:

http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Safegu...LVB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330805267&sr=8-1

Safeguard doesn't work on the most common tape worm, however, I use this for tapes, per package directions:

http://www.amazon.com/Tape-Worm-Tabs-Dogs-tablets/dp/B000O5KC22/ref=dp_cp_ob_petsupplies_title_0

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Is it Heartgard Plus? It probably is. Plus does have a dose of Pyrantel Pamoate in it. So that would account for the worms being expelled. Has he been on it for a while or was this the first dose of the season?

Anyway, if he had that many worms he'll need a few more doses. I think once every 2-3 weeks for 3-4 treatments is standard for bad cases. You can buy a big old bottle of Pyrantel Pamoate for horses and it'll last a few years. This is what I got: http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p-3234-pyrantel-pamoate-generic-strongid-liquid.aspx No prescription necessary, dosage is one cc per 17 pounds.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's Heartguard Plus. He has it every month, considering our environment.

And from what I see, it seems more like a case of the round worm, but I'll try to take a picture for the vet to be sure (which shall be fun at -48).

He's been losing an impressive quantity of worm. He still does, three days later. Is this normal?????????

I'll contact my vet and see if she can ship me something stronger.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Eww. Yeah, he shouldn't have any worms if he gets Heartgard Plus every month. Definitely call the vet about it. Most of the usual de-wormers are fairly broad-spectrum, so knowing exactly what kind of worms they are isn't terribly important (except for tapeworms but they don't come out in the poop like that. You'd see little rice-grain-type things around his butt if it were tapeworm).

I wonder if the huge parasite load had anything to do with his earlier "episode"?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eww. Yeah, he shouldn't have any worms if he gets Heartgard Plus every month. Definitely call the vet about it. Most of the usual de-wormers are fairly broad-spectrum, so knowing exactly what kind of worms they are isn't terribly important (except for tapeworms but they don't come out in the poop like that. You'd see little rice-grain-type things around his butt if it were tapeworm).

I wonder if the huge parasite load had anything to do with his earlier "episode"?
He hasn't had any worms since he started having Heartguard every month, more than two years ago. I'm assuming his low immune system and energy spent recuperating might have left a door open for a new bad case of the crawly poop.

I've contacted the vet when I first saw the worms and she said it wasn't a big issue and if they were coming out, it just meant the Heartguard was doing its job. I just sent her another email asking her what to do if it's been three days.

I think my poor dog needs a break after this thing clears up!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the vet wants a picture (if I can manage...he usually waits for walks to poop and at -40, my camera freezes fast). She thinks the infestation must be really important for him to continue losing worms. She'll contact a parasitologist with the picture for an even more expert opinion (this vet is so amazing....she doesn't do clinic duties, so I can't even bring her Dex to pay her back...she always replies to me right away or even call for free and she's just awesome).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts