Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I found this site while researching dog food. Here is my first post.
I check the ingredients, meat first, no corn etc. The Purina commercials claim it's almost good enough for you to eat. Diet for our boy miniature American Eskimo has been primarily Purina Beyond Dry along with homemade chicken, brown rice with chopped up green beans. We always have a stock of Purina Beneful Prepared Meals for when the homemade runs out. This week we had the company of a brown girl Boston Terrier. For 2 days in a row they split containers of the Prepared Meals along with the Beyond Dry. Both of them got sick but primarily the Boston. She was spitting up all over the house but we didn't connect the dots until we found a chunk of what looked like rubber on the floor. It had mucus on it so we knew the Boston had spit it up. My wife then went into the backyard and was shocked at what she found. I attached photos. In vomit there were chunks of “meat” but really rubber like a pencil eraser only much tougher. I also have a video of my wife trying to break a piece apart but she couldn’t. Either something got into the food in processing or there is so much low quality gluten it literally turned to rubber. Is that possible? One of the photos shows a poop with a chunk that made it through his or her system. We aren’t really sure whether all were from the Boston or some from our dog since he was feeling very bad too. I have since done a lot of research and it seems most dog food is poor at best but I now have a better understanding of how to find the few that are good and nutritionally balanced. BTW, just in case Purina takes issue with my comments let me make it clear what I stated here is just my opinion. I am sharing what I observed only.

20150907_100910.jpg 20150907_100924.jpg 20150907_100943.jpg 20150907_100950.jpg 20150907_110131.jpg 20150907_110201.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
I would stay away for anything called Beneful, but Purina Beyond and Purina One are not awful foods. I have feed them and one of my three would thrive on it today. The other two would not and, to keep life simple, they all eat the same thing.

With regard to your guest dog: Many dogs will not respond well to a food they are not accustomed to. Any change in diet is best handled gradually by mixing - increasing the percentage of new food while reducing the percentage of old food.

It's probably not necessary to post the video. We get the point.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I wouldnt feed anything purina makes, I refuse to support a company who makes crap like beneful, then claims they are a "healthy" company, talk about talking out of both sides of their mouth!

Here is a graphic on who owns who:

That doesnt include merrick, and castor and pollux, who were bought out by purina not too long ago.

If you want a good food that is good, and cheap, try these:

Holistic select
earthborn holistic (slightly more expensive but still doable)
Victor dog food (my parents feed the grain free hero and everyone does well on it, even their 15 year old JRT who has allergy issues)
Pro Pac (dont listen to the dog food advisors rating on it, he doesnt like it because most of its protein is derived from plants, but for dogs who cant handle a lot of meat based protein ... like mine ... it would be perfect, I would feed anything except the chunk and mini chunk, due to the corn in it)
The honest kitchen (do my knowledge they havent been bought out by anyone that I know of)

These foods are good but can be more expensive depending on your area:
natures variety
Orijin
Acana
back to basics (used to be pricy but I dont know how, since I havent fed it in a while)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate your point Ron but rubber? The video shows my wife trying to tear it and she can't. There is no way a dog could possibly digest it. Also, the Boston has visited us many times and has never had an issue with our dog food. She was with us recently for over a month while we dog sat.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I appreciate your point Ron but rubber? The video shows my wife trying to tear it and she can't. There is no way a dog could possibly digest it. Also, the Boston has visited us many times and has never had an issue with our dog food. She was with us recently for over a month while we dog sat.
In crap dog food everything goes into that render machine, they even toss expired supermarket meat still in the packaging! So any bits of ties or whatever might be on packaged meat gets tossed into the render right along with the meat, they cant be troubled with removing it, you know :rolleyes:

I am glad you noticed this before anything really bad happened to your pups, I would change food immediately and try one if the ones I listed. Even 4 health (TSC's brand of dog food) is better than this crap.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's entirely possible the Boston actually ate rubber. I wouldn't feed Beneful, but who knows where that come from?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Beneful wet foods aren't horribly terrible---sure, the artificial colors and flavors aren't great, and wheat gluten as the #2 ingredient is far from impressive, but for occasional use I wouldn't say it's harmful (also, wet foods don't use rendered meats). Beneful dry food is awful though.

Yeah, the dog might have chewed up something that was actually rubber. Dogs do stuff like that. Plus she could have eaten it a few weeks ago and is just now expelling it. My dog once ate a food wrapper and threw it up 2 weeks later (I was wondering what happened to it!). The only thing I can think of that might be rubbery in dog food is cartilage but I doubt they'd get away with much of that in the little trays (old ladies, who tend to feed their little dogs little trays of food, have plenty of time to poke through and complain about products, LOL).

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Beneful wet foods aren't horribly terrible---sure, the artificial colors and flavors aren't great, and wheat gluten as the #2 ingredient is far from impressive, but for occasional use I wouldn't say it's harmful (also, wet foods don't use rendered meats). Beneful dry food is awful though.

Yeah, the dog might have chewed up something that was actually rubber. Dogs do stuff like that. Plus she could have eaten it a few weeks ago and is just now expelling it. My dog once ate a food wrapper and threw it up 2 weeks later (I was wondering what happened to it!). The only thing I can think of that might be rubbery in dog food is cartilage but I doubt they'd get away with much of that in the little trays (old ladies, who tend to feed their little dogs little trays of food, have plenty of time to poke through and complain about products, LOL).
Ewww no Beneful is BAAAAD any way you look at it, and yes, in wet food the meat is still "cooked", just not baked.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Ewww no Beneful is BAAAAD any way you look at it, and yes, in wet food the meat is still "cooked", just not baked.
Yes, of course it's cooked. But "fresh" by-products (not by-product meal) are not rendered. So they can't use 4D animals (which by law must be rendered), so it's somewhat higher-quality animal protein. I'm comfortable with by-products in a wet food.

And, well, I'd be OK with giving my dogs Beneful wet food occasionally, if it didn't come in teeny little expensive trays. No sugar, reasonable amounts of animal protein. . .much better than the dry food, comparatively. Of course there are a lot of better wet foods so I wouldn't buy it, but if I got a free sample, sure, I'd feed it to the dogs (but not Beneful kibble, nope. When Shug came to us with a bag of Beneful, I even felt guilty about putting it in the yard for the birds and squirrels :p)

At any rate, to stay on topic---I don't think the food was the source of the rubbery bits. I'd be looking for something around the house that might have gotten eaten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry ... I refuse to give my money to that evil company. And I wish no one else would either.
Agreed, thats why I switched from Merrick, even if they do not change their ingredients or the source of them (which I doubt will be true for too long) I will not give a penny to Purina.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This is a good place to start comparing brands. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ I've tried the Purina grocery store brands in the past, but my animals have never really done well on them. I've had better luck with their Pro Plan line.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
This is a good place to start comparing brands. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ I've tried the Purina grocery store brands in the past, but my animals have never really done well on them. I've had better luck with their Pro Plan line.
dog food advisor is a good springboard for research, but it shouldnt be taken as gospel. I mean the guy is a human dentist, andd he has foods listed as "not recommended" that are actually not bad, like pro pac, it is heavy on the plant protein, and he frowns upon that, but my dog cant handle a meat rich protein based food.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
dog food advisor is a good springboard for research, but it shouldnt be taken as gospel. I mean the guy is a human dentist, andd he has foods listed as "not recommended" that are actually not bad, like pro pac, it is heavy on the plant protein, and he frowns upon that, but my dog cant handle a meat rich protein based food.
Nope, never take it as gospel. That's why I said it was a good place to start. I'm fine feeding a 3 star rated food, and have actually had a couple of dogs have problems with higher rated foods. I also take into account that there have been thousands of generations of healthy dogs raised on Dog Chow and Pedigree, neither of which I would feed.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Nope, never take it as gospel. That's why I said it was a good place to start. I'm fine feeding a 3 star rated food, and have actually had a couple of dogs have problems with higher rated foods. I also take into account that there have been thousands of generations of healthy dogs raised on Dog Chow and Pedigree, neither of which I would feed.
Oh I know, I just wanted to clarify for the general public :), I didn mean to insinuate that you took it as gospel :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I dont think the rubber is from the food. I think your dog got into something.

·
Registered
374 Posts
TL;DR: you may not like the ingredients in Purina feeds but their quality control is (with very few exceptions) the gold standard for an industry that has had more than its share of manufacturing screw-ups.

Say what you will about Purina (and I have no intention of stepping into a food p*ss*ing match) their quality control is second to none. I am totally aware of what I believe to be an unfounded lawsuit against Beneful, the Waggin Tails treat recall and (I think) a recall of Beyond but for the most part, for a company that sells millions of pounds of food internationally their record on recalls is just about perfect. The vast majority of dry foods that are considered superior by dogfoodanalysis.com are co-packed by another company, usually Diamond (who despite their problems I really have no problem with) and the level of quality control is left almost entirely to the co-packer.

To get the same level of quality oversight Purina exercises over its products you have only a few very "holistic" options: Dr. Tim's, Annamaet, and (perhaps) Blackwood manufactured by Ohio Pet Foods, who have never had a recall. And Fromm, who own their own plant and have never had a recall. Perhaps Orijen is just as good. I think of them as a price point in search of a justification. I think Canidae owns their own plant now and I guess Farmina does. Anyway it's a pretty short list.

As for Purina destroying Merrick, Merrick built its business on a food that looks to be as bad as Ol' Roy, Beef 'n More.

Here's an example of Merrick's quality control: Itchmo: News For Dogs & Cats » Blog Archive » Texas Dog Owner Finds Piece Of Plastic In Beef N’ More Dog Food - http://is.gd/UxF9Ih

The original Merrick family business was Hereford By-Products, a rendering plant. They built their reputation for "quality" selling expensive treats made of animal parts that are the very definition of by-products. They had the foresight to re-purpose some of the most disgusting "waste" into very high margin treats. Marketed with all the aggressive savvy of a Blue Buffalo, who as we all know has always been and will always be free of by-products. From the subjective, uninformed pov of DFA Merrick at its core represents the very worst of manufacturers; there is absolutely nothing whatsoever "human grade" about their sources. And *there's nothing wrong with that.* I enjoy a good marketing success story and "Before Grain" wasn't the same food as Beef 'n More.

If anything, being associated with Purina will probably improve Merrick's quality control and the smaller company may eventually benefit from Purina's investment in research, which contrary to the opinion of some, is not wholly devoted to increasing their profits by using "inferior" ingredients.

Lastly, the problem with Beneful's wet food (and I would not feed the dry food) is that it is really overpriced. Bear in mind that all foods with gravy, whether they are from Purina, Wellness, Merrick, etc. do not include chunks of "real" beef and chicken. The chunks are reconstituted from highly processed meat to resemble a human stew. While the dogs like the gravy this type of food in general is pure anthropomorphism.

If you want to feed a wet food, try one that is 95% meat from Wellness, Hound and Gatos, Wysong, Evo and the very well priced, Dave's. I'm sure there are others. I usually buy Dave's. If your dog likes "gravy" put a little water in it before serving.

I agree with the other posters that the rubber probably was not in the food. The odds of discrete pieces surviving the manufacturing process are very slim, even if the process was sloppy. Purina may be killing your pets but they are not sloppy. I wonder if the same thing had happened after the dogs ate Wellness if the same degree of skepticism and cynicism would be expressed. Wellness, you may wish to keep in mind, is owned by venture capitalists who I'm sure stay awake nights trying to think of new ways to keep your pets healthier while keeping profits to a reasonable minimum.

Or if you swear by Blue Buffalo and think Purina deserves to pay them damages for defamation, here's BB founder Bill Bishop bragging to the business press (I think it was the Wall St. Journal):

Bishop saw parallels to sweetened beverages [which was his expertise]: high margins and low barriers to entry. “You can get into the market small with contract manufacturers making the stuff,” he says, displaying an easy candor. “Slap on a good label, come up with a slogan, and off you go,” he says. “There were already a lot of smoke and mirrors in how pet food was advertised, and that was the sort of stuff we were good at.” He must be exhausted from touring BB's half dozen co-packers making sure they live up to his high standards.

Disclosure: I have recently started feeding both my cats and my dog Pro Plan for various reasons I outlined in an earlier post here. I am completely happy with my choice. It is possible that I own Nestle stock in one of my mutual funds. I hope it goes up.

This is not my first rodeo so please don't waste your breath trying to convince me that if I only knew better I'd feed Blue Buffalo.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts