Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I stopped breeding border collies about 2 years ago, after my bitch and stud retired to my mothers property. anyway, lately I have been getting the itch again...I own 35 acres and have 6 acres dedicated to dog runs and another 6 well fenced to allow for training and free runs...etc.

anyway I've always been very interested in this breed, but here in Australia they aren't owned by a lot of people, so it's hard to get a general opinion on the breed. of course my collies were fully registered and proper vet checks, feeding etc... so whatever breed i choose next will be as well.

I just wanted a sort of owner consensus on Anatolians. Thanks

I trained the border collies in obedience and agility, and sold many pups to people that have them as therapy dogs. Would Anatolians be good for this. I am used to powerful breeds as I currently own and have previously owned, Mastiffs, GSD's, Akitas and Rotties.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
from my experiance Anatolians are not people dogs, they are aloof, and they choose one person to bond with. They are an independent breed with an "I'll do what I want when I want" atitude. They are a challenge in training because if their independent nature they typicaly are not eger to please. They would not be my first choice for a therapy dog, or agility, obedience dog. I think they may excell in areas such as Carting, and Tending.
I have heard that the males tend to be male dog aggressive, but of course that is easier to control if you take care in researching what bloodlines the dog has.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts