Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so Angary I was driving home tonight and we stop at the lights and in the small ford hatch back there is a Doberman mix standing up in the back seat area
at frist i thought it was on lead tied somewhere in the car

but then I noticed it's not on lead it's not in anyway secure :frusty::doh:
I mean how stupid do you have to be "an they say driving while talking on a phone is Dangerous"

to make maters worse this big dog who head almost touches the roof of the car is pacing back and forth and jumping up all over the driver and passenger

I just want to slap them and say wake up to your self ... not that i would ever raise a hand to anyone

I want to know if I am the only one who gets angry at this behaviour

and do you creat or harness your dog in your car

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
If they were in PA it would be illegal.

My dogs are always crated when riding,it is safest for them and us.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the animal can prove itself to be safe(like for a dog staying in the back seat and laying down or the cats just staying off of me) in a car I don't crate or harness. I know I should. If an animal wants to climb all over the car they are restrained. Nuts usually is crated in the car, Attitude loved car rides and wearing a leash and harness, Nuts isn't really into the harness he's more comfortable in a crate(he loves crates, if I need to crate Dexter half the time I have to kick the cat out of his crate first, lol), the ferals are always crated in the car for obvious reasons. I'm actually not even sure of Dexter's crate would even fit in my car.

Any animal climbing on you isn't safe and can cause accidents(Stephen King got run over by a guy in a van with an unsecured large dog.)

Taryn

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I just toe Jo in the back seat & she lies right down & goes to sleep, Izze stays loose in the front seat, she just sits there calmly or lays down if im on the highway.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't crate or harness my dogs in the car. They are both well behaved, lay down, and go to sleep pretty much instantly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also do not crate or harness my dogs in the car. They are both large and tend to lay down and go to sleep. I have never had any issues, but also understand the potential issues that could arise should we ever be in an accident.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm kind of surprised at the number of people replying who let their dogs loose in their cars while they drive. IMO it's incredibly dangerous for both the humans and the dogs, even if the dog isn't moving around the car.

I wouldn't let a child ride in my car without a seatbelt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My little dog likes to stand in the back seat with his paws on the console in the middle. My pit bull sits in the front seat and stares right out the front window. She takes riding in the car very seriously. The only time she ever moves is if we pass a field of cows or horses. Then she turns and has to look. Otherwise she just sits there statue straight.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
my cousin's dog got killed in a car wreck due to wearing a seatbelt. Bolo on the other hand simply jumped out the window the second the other car hit us. so....danger is sort of relative...

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I feel like the harness/crate vs. loose arguement is invalid. People die in car accidents because of WEARING and NOT wearing seatbelts, and as Zim pointed out, so do dogs.

I choose to let my calm dogs or fosters/transports ride loose in my car. My little dog jumps all over the place, so she's crated for the most part, but it just isn't feasible to cram Frag into a small crate in my backseat all the time, and my seatbelts will not support a dog harness.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I'm kind of surprised at the number of people replying who let their dogs loose in their cars while they drive. IMO it's incredibly dangerous for both the humans and the dogs, even if the dog isn't moving around the car.

I wouldn't let a child ride in my car without a seatbelt.
I agree that it's dangerous. Having said that, my dogs aren't restrained or crated in the car, either. The farthest from the house that I take my dogs in the car is the dog park, which is fifteen minutes away. We visit that destination perhaps once a month. The vet is ten minutes away and we go there maybe twice a year. My parents' house is also ten minutes away and we go there once a week. Here's the truth: For a ten to fifteen minute drive along city streets where in the speed limit is 35mph, restraining/crating the dogs is WAY more trouble than it's worth.

My dogs no longer wear their collars inside, so taking a trip outside the front gate requires them to be suited up in collars and leashes. I have to load my pockets with at least poo sacks and usually treats and the clicker. At this point, roughly five minutes have passed preparing to leave the house.

Alvin requires a ramp to get into the car because his arthritis prevents him from jumping in on his own. It isn't particularly heavy, but it is certainly unwieldy. Loading the car requires three trips: one to load any personal belongings I might be taking, such as a my purse or a book I'm bringing to my father; a second to carry out and set up the ramp; and a third to actually put the dogs in the vehicle. By the time I have gotten myself into the car and am preparing to back out the driveway, at least five more minutes have passed. Already, I have spent nearly as long getting ready to drive than the actual driving trip is going to take.

I do not use a crate because aan Alvin-sized crate would not fit in the car with the ramp, but without loading the ramp in the car upon departure, Alvin could not exit the car when we arrived at our destination. Even if it were possible to fit both crate and ramp in the car, it would be out of the question to leave it there at all times because I need the storage space for other things when I am not carrying dogs. The crate would need to be unloaded, folded, and stored in my home when not in use, necessitating a fourth trip to the car when attempting to load it. Add to this the time it would take to secure the crate to my cargo hooks when loading and unsecure it when unloading and I'd probably be looking at another ten to fifteen minutes of prep work, bring my total to somewhere between ten and twenty minutes just to get ready for a car ride that is going to take no longer than fifteen minutes.

Alvin does have two harnesses which attach to the seat belt. He has the second because the first didn't work well. Turns out the second doesn't either. All that happens is he gets hopelessly tangled in the harness, restricting his movement in an uncomfortable and sometimes painful fashion. If I fold the back seats of my Honda Fit down, I create a flat, open space which Alvin cannot roll off of. It is also physically impossible for him to hit the front windshield. In the event of an accident, he could hit the back of the front seats (probably more painful for me than for him) or the back windshield (possibly problematic).

Pumbaa seems like she should be easier to manage. I already knew from my experiences with Alvin that a harness was out of the question. My parents have a sort of doggy booster seat in their car. The seat is belted in and then the dog is connected to the interior of the seat by a short leash attached to the dog's collar. Within a couple of days of purchasing this device, my parents' dog had chewed through the short leash, thereby making it useless. Since I have yet to find a dog car seat that does not work this way, I have not purchased one. Pumbaa rides on the floor in the front seat.

So, there you have it. I think it's dangerous to have unrestrained dogs in a car and yet I believe the risk is worth it, considering the amount and type of driving I do and the hassle of doing it some other way.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
my cousin's dog got killed in a car wreck due to wearing a seatbelt. Bolo on the other hand simply jumped out the window the second the other car hit us. so....danger is sort of relative...
Of course cars are dangerous in general, and of course there are circumstances where the dog could have survived without a seatbelt. But I feel as though the benefits far outweigh the risks. Especially when it comes to the safety of the humans in the car and having a loose 20 lb projectile flying around the car during an accident.

BTW, what kind of restraint was your cousin's dog wearing? Was the collar attached to the seatbelt or was he wearing a harness? There are also very many different kinds of restraints, some of which I feel are quite unsafe.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have a hatch back style car where the backseats fold down. My dogs are in the back but not in crates as my car will not fit 2 crates in it. If I ever get a mini van the dogs would be in a crate as well.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No way one 48" crate will fit in a typical car, let alone two 48" crates. The dogs get in, lay down, and ride quietly. They have not been restrained in a car since they were puppies, mostly because of their size.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I regularly drive dogs in my van (I'm a dogwalker). All are leashed to and from the park but not otherwise restrained unless they are crazy dogs, like Memphis the GSD, he was crated while in the van because he was a spinning, barking dervish. If Cracker and I go on roadtrips, she wears a seatbelt vest harness, with enough lead to be able to move around but not be thrown out of the van or into the back of my head. The vest harness distributes her weight evenly to prevent spinal injuries, but she is not likely to get loose and lost if we are in an accident.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Buffy is mostly well behaved in the car, and I admit that I've grown lazy about using her harness/tether for short trips. I always harness/tether her for longer trips or if we're going somewhere exciting, like the park.

By mostly well behaved, I mean she lays in the back seat most of the time. She starts to pace if we're going somewhere exciting, which is why she's tethered then.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Mine used to be loose in the car til I watched a "crash test for dummies" with stuffed dogs. I got a zipline setup from Kurgo products.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
it was a vest harness. the car hit us on the side that she wasnt strapped in on. it hit us on the side where bolo was chillin out. bolo leapt out the window. sasha was jerked so hard she had a vertebra fracture and cause internal bleeding. took her about 4 minutes to die.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts