Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Does your dog park have a board of directors or community organization? If this is a recurring issue, it might be worth bringing it up with them. The intent isn't to cast blame or to punish the other dog owner, but to work together and make sure the park remains safe for everyone.

There's a regular at my dog park that has been working through pretty serious fear/aggression issues with other dogs. The owner did it the right way, though - he explained the situation to the other owners, started by keeping the dog outside the park, and gradually introduced him to other dogs. When the dog was ready to come inside, the owner started at off-peak hours, and asked permission of the other owners before bringing him inside (and always on leash at the start). He even brought in a behaviorist on a number occasions.

Needless to say, I was impressed - by both the dog and the owner. I started going to this park at the same time they did, and so I got to watch the entire story unfold first-hand; the change has been absolutely astonishing. The dog is still has issues with other dogs, but he's constantly improving, and the regulars have pretty much adopted his cause as our own. We love this dog, and want him to succeed.

If this pit is causing a ruckus every time he comes, it might be a good opportunity to help him and his owner out - and maybe teach a few new people to love Pitties, too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts