Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently there has been been a young guy and pit coming to my dog park. The pit engages in one scuffle after another and while no dogs get injured fairly quickly the guy has to take his dog out. This has happened 2 to 3 times.

On Tue. the guy came in and within minutes his dog and mine were into it. It would have amounted to nothing except that I pulled his dog off of mine by it's harness not realizing my dog had a hold of it's rear leg resulting in a minor laceration.

The next day I get a call from animal control requesting more information which I provided. Later that day an animal control officer comes to my home and gives me a 10 day quarantine order, stating it was state law and that if violated the order my dog would be seized and quarantined at the city shelter. Both dogs were utd on rabies vacs.

This seemed odd to me so yesterday I attempted to find the law in the state and city codes. The only thing I was able to find was a law requiring a dog that bit a person to remain under competent observation for 10 days.

So I called animal control and asked which specific law required my dog to be quarantined. They could not answer immediately but said someone would get back to me.

Around 5 the animal control supervisor called and explained that their research showed I was correct and the quarantine law only applied to bites to persons, however it had been their practice to quarantine dogs involved in dog bites for some time, but I was in fact free to ignore the quarantine order, which I am doing.

·
Banned
352 Posts
Excellent researching.
It matters not "what their practice" has been, the law is the law. Great for you for standing up for what is right.

We have had to do some "educating" about what the law says on many occasions, albeit in a different endeavor. We have had to set animal control in its place with regards to service animal law and such.

·
Banned
335 Posts
If the quarantine order is in writing, make sure you get it rescinded in writing as well. If your dog is found to be off your property when it is "supposed" to be quarantined and the person you spoke to develops a convenient memory, then the person with the most recent piece of paper "wins."

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What LoupGarouTFTs said. I'd make sure to get the quarantine removed.

But yeah we deal with AC all the time and work and you only need to report/quarantine for dog bites in humans.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
My guess would be that since something DID happen, he was probably worried, so he probably filed something first to protect his own dog, since its a pit.

Just a guess though.

How legit would it look if 10 minutes later you filed something against him and his dog. His is on file first. ya know? kinda would make yours look less credible

Glad they removed it though!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Does your dog park have a board of directors or community organization? If this is a recurring issue, it might be worth bringing it up with them. The intent isn't to cast blame or to punish the other dog owner, but to work together and make sure the park remains safe for everyone.

There's a regular at my dog park that has been working through pretty serious fear/aggression issues with other dogs. The owner did it the right way, though - he explained the situation to the other owners, started by keeping the dog outside the park, and gradually introduced him to other dogs. When the dog was ready to come inside, the owner started at off-peak hours, and asked permission of the other owners before bringing him inside (and always on leash at the start). He even brought in a behaviorist on a number occasions.

Needless to say, I was impressed - by both the dog and the owner. I started going to this park at the same time they did, and so I got to watch the entire story unfold first-hand; the change has been absolutely astonishing. The dog is still has issues with other dogs, but he's constantly improving, and the regulars have pretty much adopted his cause as our own. We love this dog, and want him to succeed.

If this pit is causing a ruckus every time he comes, it might be a good opportunity to help him and his owner out - and maybe teach a few new people to love Pitties, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts