Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, father just witnessed a female giving birth to 12 puppies by the side of the road, he left them and went to buy her some food then he noticed one was dead, so he decided to bring her home to take care of her until we find an adopting family.

so 11 puppy are a little too much for a 10 teats bitch, so i expect to feed some myself, and i have no idea what to do.

they are like 15 hours old and already whinning and fighting for the teats, the mother is docile and very helpful, she has no problem with human beings, i believe she was somebody's best friend and then he abandoned her when he noticed she was pregnant !!

now i already have two dogs and i am afraid that they'll get over curious so i placed her isolated of them,

the vet is coming tomorrow to check on her but i need to know what to do hour by hour to make sure 11 cute pups survive

i have a diet for my dogs which contains chicken and some green veggies but i expect she needs more ...

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
11 puppies is A LOT for a person who has never done it before. Are there any rescues you can contact? They can perhaps take over, and they often put the mamma and her babies with a foster who knows what they're doing and can provide the puppies with the socialization they need at that young age. 11 puppies can get really expensive really fast with food, formula if you need it, and the vet trips.

That's all the advice I can offer, but keeping her separate from your other dogs is good. The mamma can sometimes become protective of her babies and cause a fight. Also, you typically feed nursing mothers puppy food.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've done once but with 7 puppies and the mom was very helpful and in great shape, this otherwise looks so skinny and 11 is kind of much, i'm trying but the rescues contacts in my area don't have that kind of budget nor the exprience, they are really in need of help, i do some volunteering work with animal rescues and i know exactly what they have, i even host some rescues now and then until they find adoptive families because they don't have enough space in the shelter ...

anyway i've announced that i need adoptive families in two months, some people came up and two of them suggested that they take one or two puppies now and feed them themselves so they help the mom take care of the rest, i don't think that's a good idea myself, but if anyone thinks otherwise please tell me why . in my opinion i'll keep them for two months and if some of the pups have bad nutrition i'll take care of them myself

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
No, absolutely don't take the pups from their litter! They learn so many things from their litter, and taking a pup from their litter too early can cause behavioral problems down the road. Unless there is a true emergency, then they should always stay with their litter!

If you think you can care for them, go for it, but it never hurts to ask rescues for monetary help, or perhaps food donations, at least. They could even help you evaluate and place the puppies in homes. Vaccinations and vet care can get expensive for that many pups, so hopefully they are all healthy when the vet comes tomorrow! I would recommend reading this thread: http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/482578-pregnant-foster.html

She regularly fosters mamas and puppies, and if I needed tips on how to care for a litter, this is what I would read. She details her socialization steps and early training tips to help her puppies get awesome homes and be awesome dogs.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'll start with a disclaimer that I've not bottle-raised puppies before, so this is all second-hand and I don't know a lot of the detailed stuff, but it is all advice I know is commonly given in these situations. Hopefully one of our members with breeding/fostering experience will come along before too long!

Definitely good on you keeping her isolated. You want her to be as unstressed as possible. I also agree with Lillith that removing puppies from the litter before 8 weeks should be an absolute last resort. Bottle rearing orphan pups is sometimes necessary, but they are more likely to develop behavioral issues from not knowing how to behave around other dogs if they don't have mama or especially littermates to learn from.

If possible, get mama on a complete, high-quality puppy or all life stages food ASAP, and let her eat basically as much as she wants while she's nursing (assuming she doesn't make herself sick on it). Since she's starting out malnourished to begin with, she's really going to need all the help she can get, and producing milk is super demanding on top of already having carried all those puppies to term. I'd also get replacement puppy formula from your local pet store or vet right away, so you're not running around looking for it if and when you notice a puppy struggling. You may already know this, but just in case: do NOT feed the puppies cow milk, or any other animal's milk without the vet's approval. It's really hard for puppies to digest, and it's possible for them to get sick or die very quickly at this age if they get an upset tummy and runny stools. The replacement formulas are designed specifically to meet growing puppies' needs and be gentle on their digestion.

Start weighing the puppies daily, and keep records. A kitchen scale is often good enough for this. Their initial weights aren't going to tell you much, but you want to make sure that they're all gaining weight at roughly the same rate. This will let you notice ASAP if one or more puppy is struggling and needs extra attention, hand feeding, a vet exam, etc. If there's puppies you can't tell apart easily, pick up something like whelping collars - basically very simple collars or bands in bright colors so you can accurately tell which pup is which.

I have heard of some breeders partially bottle-feeding large litters, so I know there are ways to help out your mama dog that way, but I'm afraid I just don't have the experience to say how it should be done. Hopefully some more detailed advice will come along soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
48 hours old and they have survived so far, the vet checked on everyone of them said they are doing great but yet they have to go through the first week so he can say more,
everyone of them is between the average weight except one, i helped him twice to find his path to the nipple but the vet advised me otherwise, he says if i make a habbit of it, it will wait for me everytime to show him the nipple, he says he has to find his own way,

i also noticed that they are taking turns, every time i take a look there is 5 or 4 sleeping while the rest are feeding and they switch turns; which is good for the puppies but i don't think that the mother is happy, she's always lying there breastfeeding them with no rest, i have to hand feed her or she wont move to eat nor to drink ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts