Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a very long day. We got there at about 9:30 and didn't get home till 7. The vet office is an hour away so we waited there. They had complications because he kept bleeding out and the vet had to open him back up so she wanted him to stay overnight. When I saw him I got a hot flash and felt light headed. It was really hard to see him like that but once I saw he wasnt really in any pain thanks to the morphine, I felt better. I never have seen his gums that white before. I'm still scared because the vet isn't with him all night but it was more risky to try to move him to an all night facility so leaving him was the next best thing. I pick him up tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Thanks for the update. Hope Kameha has a good night and a quick, painless recovery. Lots of positive thoughts to both of you.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Sending positive thoughts and prayers. I hope he has a good night as well. Please let us know as soon as he gets home.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Let us know how he is after you pick him up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes please let us know-- positive thoughts and prayers are on the way for everyone concerned.:grouphug:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I just saw this. I am sorry I don't know what happened to Kameha, I have admittedly been a little preoccupied with my own dog. I will be saying some prayers for your boy as well. Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I brought him home against my better judgement. The vet said he would be more comfortable at home and she did blood work before he left and said he shoudl be fine but he wasn't. only lasted a few hours and passed away.The last two days have been horrible and it was all for nothing. I put him through all that pain for nothing.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I brought him home against my better judgement. The vet said he would be more comfortable at home and she did blood work before he left and said he shoudl be fine but he wasn't. only lasted a few hours and passed away.The last two days have been horrible and it was all for nothing. I put him through all that pain for nothing.

I am so sorry LMH That is horrible. My thoughts are with you. Rest in Peace dear, sweet Kamehameha As hard as it was for you, I am glad that if it had to end that way, he was with you. I hope you can find peace in knowing you did your best for him.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Oh no! I don't know the whole story, but I'm so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I've never been this close to a dog before.I just feel so guilty. I miss him so much and I know it will just get worse as the days go by.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I have not been able to keep up here so I don't know what happened to him but please accept my condolences on your loss.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm so sorry! Just remember that you did your best for him. Everything you knew pointed to the surgery being the best option, and everything you knew pointed to you needing to bring your dog home. Just think how much better it was for him to get one last night at home with the people that loved him, than alone in a cage at the vets. Don't second guess yourself. Sometimes these things just happen. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss and echo kafkabeetle's sentiment. You did everything you could, and everything that seemed to be the right thing to do. He was home surrounded by those who loved him.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm so sorry. Don't feel badly though. I used to volunteer for Hospice as a caregiver, and in our training, one of the things they taught us, was that often, someone terminally ill can make themselves hold on until they feel everything is ok. It explains why someone who should have passed away, ends up hanging on until a loved one arrives from out of state/ or something similar. It happened to me. My dad was in the hospital, terminally ill w/cancer, and had pulled out his breathing tube, and wasn't expected to make it thru the night, when I got the call from my mom 2000 mi away. My dad should have died before I got there, but was still alive and a little aware when I arrived. I stayed w/him for an hr, then went to my mom's for a couple of hrs to nap/shower while my mom stayed with him. When I got back there, the nurses said he was fighting letting go. Once I was by my mom's side, he completely relaxed and passed on about 15 min later. My mom and I both feel, he didn't want to die with just my mom by herself. He wanted someone to be with her. So when he felt it was ok, he let go.

I think animals can do that also. He felt safe enough with you to peacefully pass on. Don't feel that you put him through a lot, because he was probably medicated enough to not feel any pain. (You mentioned that in your OP). He KNEW he was loved. He had the privilige of a peaceful passing at home with his owner. That is so much better than so many dogs get.

I sympathize with your shock and heartbreak. But eventually, the pain will be replaced by happy memories of him. Sending you prayers for strength. (((hugs))).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh no! I'm sooo sorry for your loss (((hugs)))!!!

You're in my thoughts and prayers!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. You did what you could for him.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please try not to beat yourself up. It wasn't for nothing. It was for a chance to have more good time with you. You never know what's going to happen in the future, and you made the best decision you could at the time with the information you had and with the best of intentions. Sometimes even when you do everything you can, things don't end the way you want them to. He knows you loved him.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. I too am glad that he was able to be at home with you when he crossed the bridge. He will see you again some day ... I firmly believe this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts