Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately have to have my 150lb dogs front leg amputated due to bone cancer. I'm very nervous and scared that I am torturing him or doing something very awful to him but the alternative is worse. Putting him down because his leg is fratured and isn't going to heal and the bump has gotten much bigger. he's in pain. Any kind advise?

·
Registered
254 Posts
You are in no way torturing him!

Mercy had her right rear leg amputated in September after being shot and she gets along wonderfully! I adopted her after she had healed from her surgery so I don't have any pre-op comparison, but I've yet to find anything that she can't do. Most times we go to the dog park at least one person tells me that they didn't realize she is missing a leg until she came over to say hello.

I know of a canine amputee forum and they are a wonderful source of experience and encouragement. Many of the dogs there are cancer survivors, so you can get advice for that, too. Contact me privately if you'd like the address.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I really need to hear as many stories as possible to make me feel better. When I see things on youtube and read about happy ending stories I feel way more calm about it. But as the day comes closer I get nervous and second guess myself. He just seems too big to only have 3 legs. He was 175 and he has lost weight from being in pain and I'm also watching what he eats so he's more on the slim side since I know that is important for his legs. I think going on a amputee forum would help.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have no stories but wish you the best. I would do the same thing given I knew it would give my dog a chance at a better, longer, and pain free life. I hear that dogs do not use their handicaps like a bad thing. They just keep on going ....... My sincere thoughts and prayers for you and your dog and a quick recovery.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Abbylynn. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Tripod dogs get along great! We used to track them in my 7th grade English class (the teacher was quite the individual) and we found 10 in our small city, each one playing, walking and doing just fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Only thing I can say is what others already have, they can live a long,healthy and very happy life. I knew someone that had 2 dogs, both had one leg missing, one the front leg and the other was the back. They both were very active and happy.

My prayers and good thoughts headed for you and your big, overgrown "puppy" (no matter how big they get, the are always "puppies" to me) for a quick recovery.. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tripod dogs get along great! We used to track them in my 7th grade English class (the teacher was quite the individual) and we found 10 in our small city, each one playing, walking and doing just fine.
Tha's way cooler thst what I was doing in 7th grade English. The Pearl and The Red Pony Bor-ing!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have no personal experiance with this but i send good vibes and prayers his surgery goes smooth and was a wonderful recovery.

I knew a man who had one of his legs amuptated and did his dog and you could never tell. He rode horses and his dog followed along on all the trails, you could never tell. Winter sometimes limps from her accident and will run on only 3 legs and she hasnt lost a single once of speed even on 3 legs!. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
507 Posts
One of our park friends is a tripod dog, and she gets along just fine! She's missing her right rear leg so her walking gait is a little uneven, but she runs and plays just like any other dog. Don't feel bad about amputating - you are giving your dog a chance at a long, healthy life!

^assuming her vet is competent and the cancer hasn't metastasized. Which I see no reason at this point to doubt.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We did do chest x-rays and his chest was clear and his other leg is fine that's why the Vet was pushing for the amputation. She also refered me to a much more affordable vet which is the only way I was able to afford it. So I was going to ask if they do an x-ray before surgery but even so I would want him to live out his life in the most comfortable way possible even if the cancer did spread. Thanks for everyone's responses. They are helping. Tomorrow is the big day =(

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Please do let us know how it goes! Really, dogs don't dwell on things like people do. If you cut off my leg, I'd be depressed about it forever. A dog just picks up and runs along having fun with a slightly different gait. They are inspiring creatures, our friends.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point. My b/f was telling the vet how he just can't imagine getting a leg chopped off and my vet said well don't worry about the dog , he's not going to get up in the morning and look at himself in the mirror and say..ah man , I look funny so i'm not gona go outside today. LOL. I thought that was a good point. I'm just worried about his weight and how broad he is. I keep imagining he will just topple over and not be able to balance himself.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a bunck. I will need it. =)

·
Registered
496 Posts
If anything I'm sure you could ask you vet about his weight and only having the 3 legs, i am sure they will be happy to answer and it seems like with what you said about the looking in the mirror, which just made me laugh lol they seem to be very nice.

Sendign prayers and well wishes your way for a good smooth surgery, and fast, healthy recovery! Keep us updated :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Been thinking of you and your baby all day-- please keep us updated.. :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
More prayers for tomorrow for you both. Please do keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts