Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! : )
Im new to the forums and this is my first post.
My question is ...
During the process of crate / house-training a pup, after the pup relieves himself / herself outside, how much freedom / playtime should i give him before bringing him back into the crate?
Thanks all!
P.S.
heres a little vid of the extreme aggression and violence that he his displaying!
:) LOL!

·
Registered
948 Posts
The lesser of 1> however much time he wants, and 2> however much time you have.

A lot of people recommend a set schedule and I'll never advise against success, but I've always just played with 'em while I had the time, whether inside or outside, carrying them out when it looked like they needed it, or whenever it occured to me that it's been awhile since they been out. More of a laid back informal approach.

That's just my philosophy and I'm no professional although where housebreaking is concerned, I think I qualify as an accomplished amateur.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome!
what you said makes perfect sense to me. i actually like that point of view / approach.
Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for chiming in Abbylynn,
thats two senior members so far that agree that that approach is fine.
cant tell you guys how much i appreciate the reassurance.

uhh - is there a way to mark these threads as solved / closed?

P.S.
check out my avatar : )
thats my little guy right there : ))
been home two weeks with us so far. love'm to bits already ...
long haired jack russell terrier

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Awwwe ..... Absolutely adorable little guy! :)
Not sure about closing threads? :) That would be up to the Moderators I imagine ...

Probably mostly kept for all to read and learn? :)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
So I agree with the others regarding playing when you have time. But just wanted to add this:

When you take the dog outside to potty, there should be a purpose to it. When the dog is finished, they should come right back inside for their treat. If you combine potty trips with play trips, you'll get a dog that takes longer and longer to potty because they're postponing it. I would recommend pairing the action with a command so that the dog understands what you want and understands that it's very different than free time. You can still have separate trips outside for play time as often as you'd like. Eventually, you should have a dog that can be sent outside on its own, will potty on command, and then haul butt back inside.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've long held the belief that you have about a 5 second window to correct or reward any behavior -- if you wait until you bring 'em in before giving the treat, you're just rewarding 'em for coming in the door.

There's been times when potty on command would've been a real advantage; I never made it a priority, but if I did, I'd do just what gottaluvmutts says.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Love your JRT. What a cutie! As you see from my avatar I am also a JRT lover. Lola is 6 months old and the 2nd one I have owned. Heidi died in June a few weeks shy of her 14th birthday. My life would be empty with no JRT in the house. We are likely going to get a male puppy in the spring from the same breeder we got Lola from. Welcome to the forum and post more pictures!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am glad GottaLuvMutts said that because that is what I was going to post. I never had very good success with crate training, but I still have managed to house train all of my dogs with a bit more work... as for the pottying outside... we do our business, get a treat and go back in. We still go to the park, go out, go for walks etc... but I don't allow post/potty play outside until they're better trained. Mainly started because I was usually in my pajamas and just wanted to go back in... and it just ended up working better for us in the end.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
One solid rule to follow no matter what time you think works for you is pup goes out immediately when taken out of crate and goes out immediately before pup is put back in crate. I myself prefer smaller time increments rather than larger gradually increasing time out as pup grows older and can be trusted.

If I wanted pup out of crate for 30 minutes of playing time after 1st 15 minutes pup would be outside and then another 15 minutes playing time then outside and then put back in crate. I am a fanatic though as I think it's easier to not start a bad habit than to try to fix a bad habit started by lack of work. Many ways to do this silly stuff, this way just worked for me.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, that's how I trained the young BC mix who we got at 12 weeks. I didn't use a crate. I took time off from work, figuring making "potty" my full-time job for a week or so would pay off big time in the future. It did. I kept her near me all the time and took her out every hour on the hour, or after eating/drinking/playing, when she started sniffing around, whichever came up first that would make her eliminating a likely occurrence. These trips were specifically for potty business and nothing else. She had other trips outside for playing and walking...different queues. When making a potty trip, I'd tell her, all excited like it's sooo fun..."Time to go potty!". When she did (accidentally at first), she'd get a "Good potty!" or "Good Poop!", a treat and a parade. It really didn't take much time at all and she does "Potty" (pee) or "Poop" on command, if she has any to do, if she's empty, she just looks at me like I'm dumb and we go back inside. VERY useful at bed time, in terrible weather or before getting in the car for a longish drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for not having responded to the last few replies.
i believe im still subscribed to this thread but for some reason i never got notification of the last couple replies.
I appreciate all the feedback, words of encouragement and advice!!
Thanks all! and Happy Holidays!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts