Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Feeding too many raw eggs is not good because a property in raw egg whites inhibits the absorption of b vitamins that the dog needs. How much is too much I can't answer but I've been told not more than one a week.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Feeding too many raw eggs is not good because a property in raw egg whites inhibits the absorption of b vitamins that the dog needs. How much is too much I can't answer but I've been told not more than one a week.
Incorrect. That is the old belief, that the avidin in the whites will create a botin deficiency if raw eggs are fed. There is more than enough botin in the yolk to compensate for any loss that the avidin may create. Feeding just egg whites or just yolks is where the problems arise. Feeding whole raw eggs is the best way to do it.

I give raw eggs just about every day and have yet to see a problem because of this. My dogs have very nice coats when they get eggs, especially an egg every day.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Incorrect. That is the old belief, that the avidin in the whites will create a botin deficiency if raw eggs are fed. There is more than enough botin in the yolk to compensate for any loss that the avidin may create. Feeding just egg whites or just yolks is where the problems arise. Feeding whole raw eggs is the best way to do it.

I give raw eggs just about every day and have yet to see a problem because of this. My dogs have very nice coats when they get eggs, especially an egg every day.
Nice answer, plus I think there is a sticky on it on the Food Forum.... We do maybe three a week (every other day ) for our dogs.... I guess we could do more.... Our chickens are producing 4 dozen a week (sorry had to brag).... I do include the shell for the young dogs...

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
am not advocating anything, but with my free range flocks of geese, ducks and chickens the dogs eat eggs daily given by me or helping themselves :) in open nest for years none of them have suffered any problems from it. organic free range grass grazing I don't have an issue with them eating them often. I started having allergic reactions to store bought eggs 10 years ago and couldn't figure out how some one suddenly becomes allergic so I got my own birds and never had a reaction since.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have small dogs so they only get 1 per week because I don't want to use up all their meals with eggs rather than meat. I think it depends on the size of your dog. I also feed shell with the eggs and my dogs will eat part of the shell.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks for the answers. i feel good, because i noticed when i started giving raw eggs to my dog, his coat improved. i crush the shells to small pieces too and mix it with his food, and he loves it

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
A dog that size could have 1 or 2 a day, no problem, just remember how many calories are in them and adjust his food intake accordingly. As was said, feeding just raw whites would be a bad thing, but a whole egg is an excellent source of animal-based protein, very nutritious :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts