Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 chihuahuas 1 boston and a boxer. I have had pit bulls since I was a kid. My partner really wants a big dog (he misses the great dane who was 180 lbs, gentle giant) and I am partial to pits. I miss having them.

So i was thinking an american bulldog. Basically a giant pit bull.. But I keep hearing that it may kill one of the chihuahuas. One of the chihuas is the alpha dog of our 4 dogs. I do not want to come home and find a bloody mess and a dead or gone dog.

Any thoughts??

I am leaning on another pit bull rather than amer bull dog. But he really wants a big dog. Or should we just get a pitty and another great dane? F feed back is appreciated. We have 4 dogs, 2 african greys, 4 doves, and 3 chickens.. I love them all and they are all very taken care of and touched, held, or walked on a regular basis.

Honestly I would have 8 dogs if he would be down. OK now im ranting.. LOL

Big concern is feedback on american bulldogs!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Cant help much, I've never owned one, but know one of the top breeders. She often has oils she can't sell due to skin issues or sometimes moms get carried away cleaning and will chew off a foot, tail, ear etc. I talked with her on many occasions of adopting one, but she thinks it would be a bad idea as I have other dogs and horses and chickens. Her dogs even fence fight constantly, and can only be out to run separate or a certain few together.
I'm sure not every one would be this way. Its just in general. I have one dog aggressive female Dutch shepherd, but she is managed. And not extreme.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has Amer Bulls or pits? I am leaning away from the Amer BD cause I am freaked out it will kill a chihuahu. Crap they are strong enough to where it would be hard to fight back if it was attacking me. I don't like to judge a dog based on rumors. I was a vet tech in the ED and OR for 8 yrs and only treated one Amer BD. Good dog, but that's only one experience.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
American bulldogs. I can't remember her kennel name but her last name is luckman, you can see her site if you Google American bulldogs Jackson TN I'm sure. She had several that were nit people friendly either, but they were great with her. Many were aloof. I know some were sweet hearts, though either breed could easily kill a small dog. The AB are extremely powerful animals.
A grown dog that is dog friendly could be an option?
she is very knowledgeable on this breed and could answer any of your questions.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I don't know much about American Bulldogs. I like pits; my brother has one and she's good with my two small dogs. I would never leave a pit (or a big dog of any breed) alone with small dogs, though -- I'd have them crated or in separate rooms/gated-off areas when I wasn't around to supervise. A bigger dog can accidentally hurt a smaller one in play (my brother's pit will play too rough with my little guys if I don't intervene). Pits can be prone to dog aggression as well, especially when they're mature. They'd probably all be fine together when you were there, as you could make sure that play or disagreements didn't escalate. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I have had pits since I was a baby. I like the kennel idea "just in case". I dont like keeping them kenneled to much though. We will prob get a pit. Just torn on which one. Maybe a pit and a G Dane. Time will tell..

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
American Bulldogs are NOT "big Pits" they are a completely different breed and there are two or three types (depending on the region they were bred in). They were bred for a completely different purpose than Pits (home gaurdianship and hunting large dangerous game such a wild boar and bear. They tend to be protective of any and all beings that they are raised with (including small dogs and children) and need a LOT of socialization. Think of their attitudes as being more along the line of a BullMastiff, Neopolitan MAstiff or Cane Corso witha more Bulldog look (and trainability).

I suggest you read this site to get more information on this breed. http://theamericanbulldogclub.com/

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wow, the breeder here has around thirty adults, and didn't recommend even raising them with small animals. Johnson lines if I remember correct.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Wow, the breeder here has around thirty adults, and didn't recommend even raising them with small animals. Johnson lines if I remember correct.
I've found that prey drive with small furries may not translate to aggression (or prey drive) with small dogs. My Dobe is VERY prey driven, but is fine with a dog of any size of properly intorduced. The same is true for most Mollossors (which AmBulls are) though many Mollossors breeds do have issues with same gender aggression.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts