Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two great rescue stories to share. One happened a while ago, but didn't seem worth its own thread. Now that I have two, I'll share them both.

STORY #1:
It's before work several weeks ago. I'm walking Alvin in my neighborhood when I spy a medium sized brown mutt trotting loose on a lawn about a block away. We stop and I watch for a minute to see if its with anyone, which it doesn't appear to be. A fellow neighbor walking to his car asks if the dog belongs to me. When the dog hears us talking, it turns and runs full tilt at me. I stepped in front of Alvin, put my hand out, and said "STOP!" in my big girl voice. The brown dog stopped and looked puzzled. I turned and casually began walking home. The brown dog followed. I thought this was great...if I could get it to follow just one more block, I could lure it into the yard and figure out what to do with it. It happily trotted along with us, went right through the gate into the front yard, and then right into the house when I opened the door.

She was clearly someone's pet, because it was well behaved in the house. When I stepped out of my morning shower, she was quietly waiting for me on the bathmat. I locked her in the yard when I went to work, asked my mom to check in on her at lunch time, and planned to take her to the county shelter when I got home.

She loaded nicely into the car and walked well on the leash. My usual routine with a stray is to get its impound number and release date from the shelter, then come and spring it from doggy jail on the appropriate day if it has not yet been picked up by its owners. I was thinking I'd be happy to have this nice girl, if it came to that.

When I walked into the office at the shelter, a woman in a pink backpack was looking through one of the lost and found dog books. Taped on the backpack was a lost dog flyer with a picture of...the dog I had on the other end of my leash! I tapped the woman on the shoulder and said, "I think I have your dog." She turned around and fell to her knees on the floor, hugging the dog and shouting her name. Apparently the dog had been missing for eight days and the shelter had told the woman they'd picked up a dead dog matching her pet's description. I felt like I'd performed a miracle!

The woman was on her motorcycle, so I loaded her dog back up into my car and delivered her to the woman's house. She tried to give me money, which I obviously didn't take, so she settled for a hug instead.

Talk about luck!

STORY #2
I'm driving home from a closing shift at work last night. It's 2:30am, but this is Los Angeles, so the streets are never totally empty. I'm about ten minutes from home when I drive into a man, a motorcycle, and a dog in the middle of the street. The dog seems a little disoriented and is limping slightly, but has no visible injuries. The man is on his cell phone. I roll down my window and ask if they are okay and the man says the dog was wandering in the street and he didn't want it to get hit. He would have just taken it home, but he only had his motorcycle, so he called the police and was on hold with them at the moment.

The man was about 30 years old and a classic Harley biker dude. The dog looked old...white at the muzzle, losing some fur. He was a Lab in bad shape, but he was friendly with the guy and with me. The biker told me, "I gave him a sandwich and he wolfed it down, but he needs a place to rest." I totally melted. I said I probably shouldn't take him because I wasn't sure how my own dog would react and the biker told me he had an old dog, too, but it was friendly. I told the guy to load the Lab in my car and I'd follow him to his house, so he picked the dog up and put him in my hatchback, where the dog immediately found Alvin's car rug and laid down on it. We followed the biker to his house, but the dog didn't want to get up. I said I'd just put down a dog with severe hip dysplasia and the guy said, "I had to put down one of my dogs in December. It was really hard." He ran into the house to get a leash while I coaxed the dog to the edge of the trunk. The dog had recovered a bit during the ride and was much more spry than he had been in the street, where I suppose he must have been hit a glancing blow by a car.

I'm sure the biker will keep the dog. I can tell he's a total dog pushover. He said his plan was to, "Fatten him up before I take him to the shelter," but that's just silly. We all know he's going to fall in love with that old dog. Still, I gave him my phone number in case he needed help finding a place for the Lab. (Hopefully this story doesn't end with me bringing another crippled Labrador into my house...) By the time I got home, it was 3am and I was totally exhausted!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I LOVED your stories!!! How lucky for the lady in the first story! What are the chances?
I hope the old lab has found his forever home. I never see any stray dogs ever, I would love to have great stories like yours.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I just love happy endings! :) There are so many of the other type of stories we really need to hear more "good news" for a change.
God Bless you FilleBelle for being such a big help to two furry souls in need. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts