Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 week old puppy. When I first brought her home a week ago I kept her in whatever room I was in, and then slowly just started letting her roam the house. I found out that was a bad idea, she got into to much trouble. Now I leash her in the yard and around the house. If she nips I pull her collar and stop her from biting. Sometimes I yell pretty loud at her, which scares her, I know that's bad but I get so frustrated I can't help it.

She hates me. She no longer cuddles with any people like she did when she was first brought home, she won't come sit in my lap, she absolutely dreads being in her crate.

Am I being to mean? Is it too young to train her not to bite? How can I get her to like my company again?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
It's not too young to train her not to bite, but you're going about it in the wrong way. There's no need to scare your puppy into obeying you. Pulling her collar, yelling at her are all completely unnecessary... there is no need to EVER physically manipulate your puppy to train ANY behaviour.

Read "The Bite Stops Here" sticky in the First Time Dog Owner section. That will take care of your puppy's play-biting.

Leashing her around the house is not a bad idea; it prevents her from getting into trouble and is actually a recommended training method. Your puppy should never be left in a room unsupervised; if she can be supervised, she should be leashed to you and if she cannot, she should be in her crate.

Dogs will perform whatever behaviour is most rewarding to them. If you want her to stop biting, make it rewarding for her not to bite. (Read the sticky.) If you want her to spend time with you, make it rewarding for her to spend time with you. By yelling at her and hurting her, you make it punishing to be around you. It's not at all too late -- from now on, toss her a treat when you see her, or squat down on the floor and coax her to come to you, petting her if/when she does. Handfeed her meals. Take her on fun walks and play games with her.

Remember what I said above. Dogs will perform whatever behaviour is rewarding to them. That's the ground rule of dog training.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I strongly encourage Puppy Kindergarten classes ASAP. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I pull her collar with the leash I don't pull hard. I just let her know she can't eat/chew something.

I would like to reward her but every treat I buy her she becomes bored with. She will eat it for a day then the next day she will play with it and leave it on the ground. Thhis makes it hard to reward her behavior.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
"Hard" for you is different from "hard" for a young puppy.

How does she respond to praise?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
When you are rewarding with food it should be a very small bit of something really yummy like hot dog or small dog treat....like the size of a dime....:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She will be happy when I praise her, then I give her a treat and she tosses it around the floor then leaves it there. So I feel like I'm not getting through to her that I was happy. I reward her with small bits of treat. First I bought two types of "healthy" treats. She hated the one right off the bat, liked the other but got bored. Then I bought some tiny milkbone treats that look like Combos, and she ate those for about a day then got bored. So I bought her Beggin strips, she seems to like those.... for now.

This morning she was better with me, I think maybe last night she was just tired and wanted to be left alone. If anyone sat next to her she would get up and move away.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
with treats I have found the more stinky and mushy the better....I use hot dogs cut in half (longways) and then cut in half again ..so you would have 4 long pieces...then chopped into small bits...my dogs love them...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll have to try that. I'm always scared when it comes to human food. Do you recommend beef or pork hot dogs?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
When I pull her collar with the leash I don't pull hard.
To a nine-week old puppy, any pull is too hard. Her neck is weak and you could really hurt her. Stop pulling on her and yelling at her. You're likely doing physical and psychological damage that will show up later. All her time with you should be fun and wonderful.

You can say, "eh-eh" (very softly) when she misbehaves, but no yelling. :)

And you can reward her behavior with praise and good treats. Tiny chunks of cooked chicken or something. I don't recommend hot dogs because of nitrates, sodium and other yucky stuff.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Measure out 50% of her daily kibble and train her throughout the day. If she is currently not responding to treats, you are probably overfeeding her or not using the right treat. You don't want to devalue the most important resource to your dog. You can also randomly give her a kibble here and there. This will train her to follow you and also remind her good things happen around you.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
And you can reward her behavior with praise and good treats. Tiny chunks of cooked chicken or something. I don't recommend hot dogs because of nitrates, sodium and other yucky stuff.

eh...to each their own :)

Hotdogs work for me...they are cheap and require no cooking

Chicken is a good substitute if you are concerned .....but I doubt 1/4 a hot dog is going to be a detriment to your pups health...Epically if you are already giving beggin strips.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The stinkier the better... cheese, hot dogs, roasted chicken, Natural Balance rolls are all great ideas. And as always, everything in moderation, and be careful to cut back the calories in her kibble meals if you are giving high-calorie treats.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I don't think you're being too strict- enforcing the rules is good- but I do think you're being a bit too physical about it.

One rule to keep in mind is that it is always better to prevent the puppy from even TRYING a bad behavior than to correct him once he's already enjoying himself doing something naughty. For example, if you see Chompy heading towards a corner of a chair with his mouth open, obvoiusly prepared to have a good gnaw? BEFORE he gets there and settles down, make a "Ehhh" or "No!" sound to distract him from his evil plans, then make a squeaky noise and call him to you. Then you can praise him for coming and hand him a really delicious chew toy (I'd use a raw meaty bone, like a chicken back, personally, but marrow bones form the pet supply place filled with cream cheese or peanut butter work too- the point is you want him to learn that by choosing to come when called, you provide DELICIOUS CHEW THINGS- and that you don't approve of chewing. :p- I don't know if your parents ever did the whole "Don't even THINK about it, buster." routine when you were looking like you might get into something- but this is the same idea.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to try that. I'm always scared when it comes to human food. Do you recommend beef or pork hot dogs?
I always go for the turkey dogs. Less grease. I tried to give mine the beef ones and they got the runs from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stinkier the better

I got her a pig foot once and she loved it! Until I realized it smelled like horse sh*t. Literally... I had to throw it out, lol.

Its official, she is now bored of beggin strips.

Making the trip to the grocery store today for either turkey dogs or chicken.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I got her a pig foot once and she loved it! Until I realized it smelled like horse sh*t. Literally... I had to throw it out, lol.

Its official, she is now bored of beggin strips.

Making the trip to the grocery store today for either turkey dogs or chicken.
If your dog gets tired of treats this easily, I would either change the amount you are feeding her or train before she eats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just an update, went to the store and bought apples, bananas, and chicken hot dogs. She loves them all so far. Did about 15-20 minutes of training with her this afternoon and played with her all evening. I watched a few episodes of the dog whisperer and stopped yelling. Now when she does something that upsets me I just walk towards her calmly and give her a soft poke and an "ep" and she stops. Hopefully this type of interaction will continue!! :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Don't poke her. That's really obnoxious, from a dog POV (and if you insist on using dominance terms, the subordinate is the one who approaches the other dogs.)- a verbal interuption is going to be effective if you deliver it early enough. If she's already into something? Use a leash and pull her away from it, rather than making your approach into a predictor that she's about to get jabbed.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
What Dogstar said. If a verbal correction isn't enough to grab her attention, you can clap your hands or squeak a toy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts