Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix puppy, that I've had for about a week, just sat down and looked at me, then barked and looked at the door. I asked him if he wanted to go out, and he kept looking t me, so I put him on his leash and took him outside. Then, I guess he realized it was raining and he wanted to go back inside, but after a couple of minutes he peed.

Now, before we managed to get outside he tried to head for the water bowl, so he may have just been barking because he wanted water. But, he did go when we went outside.

Am I too optimistic to be thinking that, after only a week of house training, my puppy already knows to ask me to go out? It's the first time he's done that--he hasn't had an accident in about three days, but that's been because I've been keeping him on a careful schedule and not giving him the chance to go inside.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It's a bit early to tell if he really was asking to go out or not. If you keep taking him out when he "asks" then he will probably realize that doing that will equal him going outside. Just don't wait for him to ask as he definitely wont be 100% reliable, continue to take him out on schedule as you have been.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gosh, I couldn't say for sure, never had that sort of dog; but any way you slice it, your pup deserves lots of praises for when he gets it right or just *seems* to get it right! Keep up the praises and good work!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Mine started going to the door when he needed to pee after about a week of taking him out many times a day and giving a treat for peeing outside. It was another 3 months before he was reliable though.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
IN the litter, pups get a little bit of house training. IN addition, some breeders actively train the pups. MY nephew's Staffy had 10 pups, and he had them house trained at 8 weeks - they knew where to sleep and where to go potty. When they were adopted 2 - 4 weeks later, the new owners had no problem improving the house training... So it is possible...

But as others have written, reliability may not come until 3 - 6 mos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts